Pros and cons of home birth

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To assisted birth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 7th, 2017, 07:23 AM
Girls, hi! I agree with you that home birth brings many advantages. But you have to be aware of the dangers too. My sister wanted to have a home birth. But fortunately, her OB stopped her from doing this. She was having a really high blood pressure. So she had to be hospitalized.

And it was a good thing, as her labor was very difficult. She had much pain, so she needed a relief. Some say you don't feel that pain at home. Maybe, because you are surrounded by the familiar things. So your stress level is lower. But for me, I would be more stressed, knowing that doctors and equipment are far away!

Awesome that during the HB you have more general control over your experience. Also it is good for religious reasons. I know that not all religions support hospital birth, outside your family. Also, I am sure, it is cheaper.

But I know that with a home birth your insurance may not cover the associated costs. And in case of an emergency, you’ll need to go to a hospital anyway. But time can be very precious here. Your transfer must be ready! A professional midwife is a must.

Think also that birth is messy. Not everyone wants to give birth in the bathtub. So you’ll need to be prepared, having clean towels and plastic sheets.

I know that it works for many women. And it is becoming a trend. But seriously, you must be really healthy to give a home birth.

I can applaud all the brave ladies, who decided on the home birth! But I guess, for me, it would be scarier after my sister's story. But I think, everyone is free to decide!
November 10th, 2017, 05:01 PM
Veteran
I've had three home births, my sister had two out of three at home and was transferred once, my best friend was transferred once and home birth once. We start at home with supplies, midwife, and a backup plan. We feel safer at home, and less pressured and stressed. I don't like anybody but my husband and midwife around, and interruptions make everything slow down.I agree with the above sentiments about preparation and having a fall back, especially if you are having health issues!
I understand not everybody feels comfortable with it and would never push a woman to go outside of her comfort zone, especially with something as important as birth.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search