Winter clothes battle

Forum: Moms of Teens and Preteens

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Teens and Preteens LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 18th, 2017, 01:57 AM
Some call me overprotective, but I always follow this one simple rule: if it's cold outside, bundle up. My teenage daughter, however, doesn't think it's cool to bundle up. She says she's embarrassed to go to school, or anywhere else for that matter, wearing her winter clothes.

Since her safety is concerned, I have to be the mean parent and enforce the rules. I make my daughter wear a winter coat, which is a knee length down filled parka with a waterproof shell, warm winter boots, gloves, a hat, and a scarf. When it's below freezing I have her wear her coat's hood up. If the windchill is below 20 degrees then she has to wear ski pants, a lighter down jacket under her coat, mittens over her gloves, and an extra scarf to cover her mouth.

The older my daughter has gotten the more she hates dressing warm. But as long as she lives under my roof she has to follow my rules.

Does anyone else have an issue like this? How do you go about dressing your children in the winter?

Last edited by Allison J.; February 18th, 2017 at 02:06 AM.
February 20th, 2017, 05:01 AM
I occasionally get pushback from my daughter about her winter clothes. But I agree with you that when it comes to dressing your children, safety should be the number one priority. She's currently 11 years old and most of the time she's very good about wearing what I tell her.
Our winters here get very cold so I make sure my daughter stays warm by bundling her up extremely well. Over her indoor clothes she wears an insulated snowsuit. Over the snowsuit she wears a very warm winter coat. For her feet she wears insulated waterproof boots, for her hands she has mittens that are also waterproof. For her head she wears a knit cap with her snowsuit's hood and her coat's hood over it. I also wrap her up in a scarf.
Hope you and your daughter stay warm out there!
February 20th, 2017, 07:55 AM
Regular
Obviously safety is #1 priority. Sometimes being the mean mom is a hard necessity. Lord knows we've all been there...

What are her friends wearing? Do you think she has a problem dressing warm, or a problem with the specific warm clothes she owns? I totally am not advocating rewarding negative behavior with buying her new winter clothes... but maybe figuring out what specifically she is fighting back against could help you alleviate that battle some?
February 20th, 2017, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyArmyWife View Post
Obviously safety is #1 priority. Sometimes being the mean mom is a hard necessity. Lord knows we've all been there...

What are her friends wearing? Do you think she has a problem dressing warm, or a problem with the specific warm clothes she owns? I totally am not advocating rewarding negative behavior with buying her new winter clothes... but maybe figuring out what specifically she is fighting back against could help you alleviate that battle some?
Thanks for the reply! I definitely don't like being a mean mom, but in this case I have to put my foot down.

My daughter's friends are all terribly underdressed so she feels the peer pressure to dress more like them. Most of her friends don't even wear proper winter coats, but kids at that age think it's cool to go around freezing their butts off.
My daughter's problem with dressing warm is that she doesn't think it's fashionable or cool. She doesn't like her winter coat, her snowpants, or her boots. She showed me some coats she wanted but they weren't warm enough. The coats she wanted were all too short and too thin, my rule is that her coat needs to be at least knee length, down filled, waterproof, and it must have a lined hood.
Either way her winter gear was so expensive that I won't spend any more money unless she legitimately needs something.
February 20th, 2017, 02:43 PM
I have a son who is 6 and a daughter who is 16. My son has never given problems with his winter clothes, but then again he is only 6. My daughter has always run cold so she always bundles up, I've even bought her a warmer coat because she asked for it.

That being said, I'm not surprised that you have to fight a battle with your daughter about this. The amount of winter clothes you force her to wear is much more than what other teens usually wear so it's no wonder that it embarrasses her to be dressed like that.

How many layers is she wearing under her coat? Is there a possibility that she's overheating? Do you dress yourself like her?
February 20th, 2017, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug86 View Post
I have a son who is 6 and a daughter who is 16. My son has never given problems with his winter clothes, but then again he is only 6. My daughter has always run cold so she always bundles up, I've even bought her a warmer coat because she asked for it.

That being said, I'm not surprised that you have to fight a battle with your daughter about this. The amount of winter clothes you force her to wear is much more than what other teens usually wear so it's no wonder that it embarrasses her to be dressed like that.

How many layers is she wearing under her coat? Is there a possibility that she's overheating? Do you dress yourself like her?
Thanks for the reply! That's some good luck you have not having to fight this battle. I'm well aware that it's not considered cool for my daughter to be dressed like this, but have the put her safety first.

Under her coat my daughter usually wears a long sleeve shirt and a fleece pullover. On colder days she has to add a down jacket. She's definitely very warm, but not overheating. And I do dress like I have my daughter dress, I am one bundled up mommy!

Last edited by Allison J.; February 20th, 2017 at 04:19 PM.
February 20th, 2017, 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneononemom View Post
I occasionally get pushback from my daughter about her winter clothes. But I agree with you that when it comes to dressing your children, safety should be the number one priority. She's currently 11 years old and most of the time she's very good about wearing what I tell her.
Our winters here get very cold so I make sure my daughter stays warm by bundling her up extremely well. Over her indoor clothes she wears an insulated snowsuit. Over the snowsuit she wears a very warm winter coat. For her feet she wears insulated waterproof boots, for her hands she has mittens that are also waterproof. For her head she wears a knit cap with her snowsuit's hood and her coat's hood over it. I also wrap her up in a scarf.
Hope you and your daughter stay warm out there!
Thanks for your reply! It sounds like you keep your daughter very warm! The coat plus snowsuit combo should definitely keep the chill out.
February 21st, 2017, 07:11 PM
So today my daughter tried arguing about her clothes. In the morning while we were getting dressed she told me she doesn't like wearing her snowsuit because it makes her feel like a little kid. I explained to her that it's all about making sure she stays warm. She isn't happy about it, but I'm definitely not going to let her stop wearing it for now.
February 21st, 2017, 07:24 PM
Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison J. View Post
Thanks for the reply! I definitely don't like being a mean mom, but in this case I have to put my foot down.

My daughter's friends are all terribly underdressed so she feels the peer pressure to dress more like them. Most of her friends don't even wear proper winter coats, but kids at that age think it's cool to go around freezing their butts off.
My daughter's problem with dressing warm is that she doesn't think it's fashionable or cool. She doesn't like her winter coat, her snowpants, or her boots. She showed me some coats she wanted but they weren't warm enough. The coats she wanted were all too short and too thin, my rule is that her coat needs to be at least knee length, down filled, waterproof, and it must have a lined hood.
Either way her winter gear was so expensive that I won't spend any more money unless she legitimately needs something.
I totally understand. Winter gear will totally break the bank.

That's a shame that her friends aren't wearing cold weather clothing. How much time do the kids spend outside? Like, are they bundled up just for the walk from the car to the school door, or do they get exposed to the cold weather during the day walking from building to building?
February 22nd, 2017, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyArmyWife View Post
I totally understand. Winter gear will totally break the bank.

That's a shame that her friends aren't wearing cold weather clothing. How much time do the kids spend outside? Like, are they bundled up just for the walk from the car to the school door, or do they get exposed to the cold weather during the day walking from building to building?
Tell me about it, her coat alone was over $300. Some of the kids that are lightly dressed do get driven to school so they're not outside for too long, but there's a good amount who walk. My daughter walks to school, so I make her wear her winter gear to for her walks to and from school.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search