Pros and cons of moving 14 year old to different state/school

Forum: Moms of Teens and Preteens

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Teens and Preteens LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2017, 06:55 AM
Hi, I haven't posted in a forum in years, but, when I saw that this was a "friendly" board, I thought it might be the one for me. I have a 14 year old son who is a 8th grader. We moved from Texas to Pittsburgh when he was in 4th grade. It was a hard adjustment for him as no one ever leaves or moves in to this rather small township. He had a hard time fitting in. So for 5,6, and 7th grade we moved him to a private school where he blossomed. Lots of friends, etc. But, it was a financial strain & we also wanted him to make friends for the public high school year. So, we moved him back to public for the 8th grade. It's been nothing short of a very disastrous year. He's trying to make friends, but, it's just not happening. I should also say that there is only one middle school and one high school. No other middle schools feed into the high school. On top of all this, I should have seen this years ago, there is absolutely no diversity, 99 percent Caucasian. I'm not sure I want that for him. We love alot of things about living here, the climate, we have very nice neighbors, etc. But, I can't imagine 4 more years of seeing my child so lonely (he's an only child). We are contemplating moving back to Texas so our son can get to know all of his cousins, 7 in total. And, get a sense of family. Once my husband and I are gone, he will be alone. Our son is a wrestler, there are only 3 wrestlers on his team here. The city we have picked in Texas Believe it or not, our son doesn't want to move, has a huge and very tight knit group of boys, and some girls , on their team. It's very racially divided and the schools are top notch. The city puts us close to all of our families. We have casually mentioned moving to our son and he is adamant that he doesn't want to move again for fear of being the new kid again. While I appreciate that I can't imagine another 4 years of watching him struggle here so much to fit in here. If you read through all of this thank you. Any advice appreciated. Thank you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search