Do you allow your daughters to wear revealing clothing?

Forum: Moms of Teens and Preteens

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Teens and Preteens LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 18th, 2018, 11:44 AM
Hi, I need some advice.I have a 14 year old daughter who, recently, wears revealing clothing which I think is not appropriate. She wears cropped tops which reveal her belly button and she wears them even to school, where I get a message that she is breaking the dress code. She wears the shortest shorts which almost reveal her private parts. Do you allow your children to wear clothes like these?
May 18th, 2018, 01:59 PM
I am struggling with this right now!! She just cut off one of her shirts the other night and tried to wear it to school yesterday. Needless to say...she went off in a little bit of a huff and came out wearing something different. Our school doesn't seem to have rules. We have certain rules in the house...what is appropriate for school and just hanging out at home. The shorts they have to choose from are so short and I've almost given up on them. However, we talk a lot about the heart of the issue. WHY? WHy does she want to reveal so much? Who is she trying to please? The short shorts are not ok. No need to show belly button unless at the beach. If I can see cleavage then a tank top needs to go underneath. She says she doesn't fit in...but I know that isn't true. We have both had to compromise a little. My parents were way too strict...but I don't want to lean too far the other way either. However...my house, my rules does stick. I've had a battle with the leggings. I don't want to see crotch or butt. She doesn't want to see mine..I don't want to see hers. We do most of our talking about this stuff when it isn't in the moment. So if I see a girl wearing something super short...I'll ask...does that really look good on her? Does it flatter her figure at all? Is she getting positive attention from that? Good luck momma. Just keep the conversation flowing and we've got to pick our battles.
May 18th, 2018, 06:32 PM
Veteran
Personally I only wear below calf skirts, 3/4 sleeve tops with high necklines. My daughter, who is only 5, wears knee length skirts and leggings. By the time she learns to keep her legs down and not have to climb into the car, she will be allowed to go without the leggings, but she will always wear modest clothes in my house. My parents I thought were strict telling me nothing above the knees, no cleavage, no sleeveless, and then here I am stepping it up a notch for religious reasons. If my friends had the same standard I didnít care, but when I made new friends (Emo crowd) growing up I wanted to dress as Loose as them. If you approve of your daughter being friends with people who are loose in dress and actions than you canít always expect her to want to be the goody goody. If you let her show off her belly at the beach, than you have no grounds to tell her to hide it somewhere else. Itís hard to be inconsistent, if you can set a standard on some grounds of consistency than you have a foundation for enforcement. If you donít have a standard (however loose) than you donít have anything to enforce. I hope that makes sense
May 19th, 2018, 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjandy View Post
I am struggling with this right now!! She just cut off one of her shirts the other night and tried to wear it to school yesterday. Needless to say...she went off in a little bit of a huff and came out wearing something different. Our school doesn't seem to have rules. We have certain rules in the house...what is appropriate for school and just hanging out at home. The shorts they have to choose from are so short and I've almost given up on them. However, we talk a lot about the heart of the issue. WHY? WHy does she want to reveal so much? Who is she trying to please? The short shorts are not ok. No need to show belly button unless at the beach. If I can see cleavage then a tank top needs to go underneath. She says she doesn't fit in...but I know that isn't true. We have both had to compromise a little. My parents were way too strict...but I don't want to lean too far the other way either. However...my house, my rules does stick. I've had a battle with the leggings. I don't want to see crotch or butt. She doesn't want to see mine..I don't want to see hers. We do most of our talking about this stuff when it isn't in the moment. So if I see a girl wearing something super short...I'll ask...does that really look good on her? Does it flatter her figure at all? Is she getting positive attention from that? Good luck momma. Just keep the conversation flowing and we've got to pick our battles.

Hi, It is good to know that it's not just me. My daughter keeps arguing that it's just her belly button and she says what a surprise I have one, so why can't I wear cropped tops/hoodies.
I think it's just very inappropriate and especially when she raises her hands above / stretches the cropped top/ hoodie gets raised and exposes her entire stomach
May 19th, 2018, 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
Yes, but depends on how revealing it is. When it looks indecent then I won't allow her to wear it.

It shows about 3 cm of her stomach so above belly button but when she stretches up it reveals her whole stomach for the time.
November 25th, 2018, 07:05 AM
My daughter has started to like showing off. It's not so much revealing clothing but she "pokes" out of her tops and won't wear a bra. I don't want to body shame but you can't not notice it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search