Log In Sign Up

Matthew Eli

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Stories after Recurrent Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Deb's Avatar
Deb Deb is offline
I'd rather be in Forks
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 6,919
I just got around to typing all of this out this morning, so I put it here and in my DDC.

Thursday, December 14th

We arrived at the hospital at 5:45 AM. When we got there, they'd had a really busy night, so we had to sit around in the maternity waiting room for about an hour. I was so nervous already, sitting there waiting was really a nightmare, then a horrible old lady with really strong stinky perfume came in and sat down. I was SO glad when they finally called me back there!

At about 6:45, they called us back and took me into my delivery room. The nurse took me into the bathroom to get undressed and into a gown, and then asked me some really absurd questions (Did I have any STD's, Does DH beat me, etc ). When she got done with the questions, she left me alone to change clothes. When I came out of the bathroom, Dr. E and a student doctor were both in there, along with my nurse and DH. I love trying to walk across a room with my butt hanging out of a hospital gown with an audience. Anyway, Dr. E just said good morning, told me my nurse would be doing an IV and filling out a lot of paperwork, and that we were going to be starting out with an EASI balloon to help my cervix dilate. And then he told me he'd be back in about an hour. I told DH when he left I'd feel a lot more confident about this whole thing if my doctor didn't look like he'd just fallen out of bed about 3 seconds before he walked in my room! When Dr. E came back to do the EASI balloon, he'd apparently had breakfast and a cup of coffee and combed his hair, he looked much more alert!

Having the EASI balloon inserted was explained as "a bit uncomfortable, kind of like a pap smear." HA! It hurt like the devil, felt like I was having contractions and had really bad menstrual cramps all at the same time. Once they got it inserted, they then informed me that I was going to have saline solution circulated thru the tube in my cervix, all around the inside of my uterus, which was supposed to start contractions. They also gave me a very slow IV drip of pitocin to go with it, all of which was supposed to speed my labor. Had I known at that point how futile the balloon was going to be, I'd have probably inserted it up my doctors butt at that point and gone home to wait for Matthew to arrive on his own.

All thru that morning and afternoon, I was having intermittent contractions, every 3-10 minutes or so. They were uncomfortable, but about the time I'd think "Wow, this is getting pretty intense", they'd back off to every 10 minutes and be much less intense, so I never had any kind of pain relief. At about 2 that afternoon, Dr. E came back to check on me and told me that he didn't care what kind of progress I was making, if I needed the epidural to let my nurse know, because he'd already written the order for it to be done at my request. I love my doctor. However, I told him I really didn't need anything at that point.

In the late afternoon/early evening, my blood pressure started creeping up again, and my nurse asked me if I was feeling tense. I told her that yes, I was starting to get antsy because of the EASI balloon, being stuck in bed, having to use a bedpan, etc. She was a fantastic nurse (best one I had in L&D), so she said well, let's see what we can do about it. She gave my EASI balloon a little tug, and Voila! It finally came out. Unfortunately, what was supposed to have caused me to dilate to 4 cm's only caused my cervix to get to about 3, and really stretchy, so when she pulled, it popped out, but I wasn't dilated as far as I was supposed to have been. However, with the removal of the balloon, I could then get out of bed and sit in a rocking chair, and walk to the bathroom instead of using the bedpan. That drastically improved my mood, and as I sat there with DH, my blood pressure started going back down to where they wanted it. Oh the irony of me trying to lower my blood pressure that afternoon, given the events that were to follow.

About 7:15 PM, when I knew the nurses were changing shifts and no one would be in my room for awhile, I sent DH to the vending machines and had a Pepsi and a Snickers for dinner. I hadn't eaten anything since about 24 hours previously, and I was MISERABLE! That was the best Pepsi and Snickers ever, but it caused a lot of (fairly irrational!) concern on my part later, so I'm not sure it was worth it.

About 9 PM, Dr. E came back in to check on me, and I was finally actually dilated to 4 cm, and 100% effaced, so he decided to break my water. When I had Anthony, I had my water broken and it was not painful at all. That was not the case this time though, it was extremely painful! I was shocked, it literally left me almost in tears. At that point, as is the case almost always, the fun really began. My contractions got a lot stronger, and much more frequent and regular. I had been in discomfort most of the afternoon and evening, but it went from discomfort to pain QUICKLY at that point.

As horrible as the contractions were, this was one of the best parts of labor to me. DH was right there with me, so amazingly supportive. I've never felt anything like that in my life. I was lying on my side, almost on my stomach, and DH got down on the floor with his face level with mine and looked directly into my eyes during every contraction, and talked me thru every one of them. He rang the nurse and told her it was time for my epidural, and answered several questions for her, never once taking his eyes off of me. It was one of the most incredible moments of my life, I felt so close to him in a way I've never felt before, and probably never will again, unless we have another baby. I was lying on my side (and would remain in that postion for most of the rest of my labor) because Matthew was soooo high up in the birth canal, they were trying to get him to descend.

Dr. E came in to check on me about that time, it was about 11:10 PM. He took about 3 seconds to assess the scene, and said "I'm going to find that anesthesiologist myself and expedite your epidural!" Have sweeter words ever been said to me? I don't think so! Just a couple of minutes later, the epidural guy got there, and DH had to leave. That was horrible, DH having to leave. I was not terribly impressed with having an epidural, thank you very much. The pain relief was great, but the procedure itself was not fun. They said the initial injection was going to feel like a bee sting, or an ant bite. I don't know what kind of bees have been stinging them, or ants biting them, but good god almighty it hurt. I'm not sure how much was the epidural procedure and how much was contractions though at that point. It was a fairly horrendous combination though. And then when they got the epidural in, my entire body started itching. It was really weird, but apparently a normal reaction.

Friday, December 15th
This is when things started getting really really crappy. They let DH back in, and all hell broke loose. My blood pressure dropped really low, it was like 50 over nothing for a few minutes. They started flipping me back and forth from one side to the other (not fun when you can't feel anything and can't move anything on your own) and giving me shots of epinephrine. I was absolutely terrified, I was out of it enough at that point to not know if they were concerned about me or about Matthew. DH kept reassuring me that Matthew was fine, everything was okay, not to be scared. He was holding my hand and stroking my hair, and he was so calm. DH is never calm if he thinks something is wrong with me, so I believed him that it was okay, and calmed down too. This went on for the rest of the night, no real need to relive the whole thing. Oh, except Matthew started being distressed too, so they turned off my friggin' pitocin, so I was making no progress at all anymore.

About 4 AM (still being flipped every time I almost got comfortable, and getting regular epi shots) Dr. E came in and checked me again, and no progress. What a shock, right? He mentioned a C-section at that point, but said that I was doing okay and Matthew was doing okay and he knew I really didn't want a C-section, so that wasn't an option yet, but that it was something we needed to be thinking about. I then started panicking about the dang candy bar and pepsi I'd had, absolutely convinced I'd die during a C-section cause of my snack. I'm not that reasonable when I'm afraid.

About 7:30, it seemed like the end of the world to me. I was miserable, I wasn't making progress, I'd been in labor for 24 hours, and I was scared. I called my mom (who'd been there but gone home about supper time the night before) and bawled for a little while on the phone. Not my finest hour.

THEN CAME THERESA! She was my daytime nurse, and she fixed everything. She sat me up in the bed, she put water in my oxygen so it stopped hurting my nose, and she turned my pitocin waaaaaaaaaaay back up. She said "We're going to deliver this baby this morning". Which I'd heard from every nurse I'd had for the last 24 hours, so I wasn't really buying at that point. HA! Should've listened to her, cause she meant business. She also informed me that I was running out of time for the epidural to be effective and if we didn't get him delivered shortly, I was going to be doing it without pain meds. Not what you want to hear after a long crappy night that really sucked, and knowing you're only about 5 cms dilated. However, she stayed in the room with me to monitor me and Matthew closely, she turned up the pitocin, and boy did we ever start having fun then. The epidural did not wear off completely, but I could feel the pressure of every contraction, and they were coming every 3 minutes or so, and lasting almost 2 minutes. DH's eyes were bugging out watching them on the monitor. About 10 AM, Theresa checked me and told me that in about an hour I'd probably be able to start pushing. OMG what wonderful news!!! However, she walked out of the room and about 3 minutes later (literally) I told DH "Ummm - the pressure is really really intense, I think I need to push!" At the same time, Theresa came running back in the room and snatched the sheets off and said "You're fixing to have a baby!!!" I have no idea how she knew when she wasn't even in the room with me, but she did. She went to call Dr. E and he told her to have me "labor a little longer". She came and checked me again and called him back and told him that was NOT an option, he better get his butt in there. I'm laying in the bed at this point chanting "Not pushing yet, not pushing yet, not pushing yet" cause it was REALLY hard not to push!

Dr. E came in the room, scrubbed in, dismantled the bed, and told me to start pushing. I pushed thru 3 contractions, and out came Matthew's head - followed by the rest of him! He was so small that once his head was out, there was no more pushing. During the entire process, DH, Dr. E, and the nurse assisting Dr. E were talking about the BCS bowl.

December 15th, 2006, 10:41 AM
5lbs, 6ozs 19 inches long

Reply With Quote
January 11th, 2007, 01:35 PM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,732
What an awesome story, Deb! You are such a trooper. And I love the way that you always find a way to insert humor and/or sarcasm into your writing. Always cracks me up! You could be the next Erma Bombeck!!
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
Reply With Quote
January 12th, 2007, 04:25 PM
srs srs is offline
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,421
WOW! What an ordeal! You're amazing.
I hope I get a Theresa. It sounds like she saved the day.

Need Breastfeeding Support?

Reply With Quote
January 16th, 2007, 08:30 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12,330
Oh I am so glad it all went well. How scary with your BP . I am sure it was no fun going through it all - but I am sure way worth it. Congrats again on your georgeous little man!
B - Crazy momma to my two boys
We've begun to raise daughters more like sons... but few have the courage to raise our sons more like our daughters. ~Gloria Steinem

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0