Log In Sign Up

Makenna Hope Rose

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Stories after Recurrent Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 25th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 18,680
At my 37wk checkup I was a fingertip dilated and 50% effaced. At my 38wk & 39wk checkups there was no changed, but at my 40wk checkup I was 1cm and 75% effaced. Since it was my EDD my OB decided to closely monitor me and I was sent for a NST at the hospital when I was 6 days overdue (on the Friday of the long weekend). She also scheduled an u/s for Tuesday after Labour Day (when I would have been 11 days overdue). I was to see her again when I was 12 days overdue and if I hadn't gone into labour on my own she was going to induce me when I was 2 weeks overdue. I was so bummed out and just wanted to meet my little one.

Well, the NST came and went and baby was doing well. However, that day I woke up with intense pressure in my pelvic bones and I could barely walk or get out of bed. I had a feeling that I was going to go into labour that weekend. I decided to go about my day as planned and hoped for the best. The next day, the Saturday, we were at DH's parent's for dinner and I was having contractions but felt no pain. They were every 15-20 minutes so nothing alarming. The next day, the Sunday of the Long Weekend, I decided that I didn't want to go to church. I was soooo tired of people calling me and asking if I was in labour or if the baby was coming, and I didn't have the energy to deal with people at church asking questions so we stayed home. That morning I started to have contractions again and they were every 4-6 minutes but I couldn't feel them. All I felt was a tight sensation. I lived 30 minutes away from the hospital and I didn't want to be sent home so I figured I'd just stay home and run some errands with DH to keep my mind of it. I was feeling fine.

So DH & I decided to go shopping. We went to Sam's Club and I used the bathroom there, and we headed over to Walmart to pick up a few things. Well, as soon as I stepped out of the SUV and walked a few steps I felt a wet sensation, almost like I peed myself, but I knew I hadn't since I had just used the bathroom no sooner than 10 minutes before. I said to DH that my water broke and I needed to go home. He thought I was joking and I said I'm serious! He was in panic mode and I was just laughing at him. I got home, and changed my pants and put a pad on. I noticed some blood on my pants and underwear when I changed them, but the liquid was clear. Then we headed to the hospital. My water broke at 4:30pm and I got to the hospital at 5:30pm. On the way there we called my parent's and DH's parent's to let them know. They made the call to our families and said they would meet us at the hospital.

When I got the hospital I was sent to L&D triage and hooked up to the monitor. I still felt fine and was only having mild contractions but they were only like mild AF cramps. I had the same nurse who did my NST 2 days before and she remembered me. It turns out I was having contractions during my NST too but I didn't feel them! I was checked and I was 3-4cm's and -1 station. The nurse said that my water had ruptured and said I could walk for an hour or so and then go to my room. I got dressed, and went to the bathroom and noticed that my pad had a greenish/brown colour to it. I asked the nurse what colour it should be and when I told her what colour mine was she became alarmed. It turns out I had Meconium, and I was sent to bed immediately.

My contractions started to get more regular, around 3-4 minutes apart, and I was able to deal with them by breathing. They were doable and similar to AF cramps. I finally got into my hospital room around 8pm and was hooked up to the monitors. I was told I could walk around but had to be hooked up to the monitors due to the meconium. It was too much of a nuisance to walk with all the cords so I stayed in bed and turned from side to side. All the while the labour was fine and not bad at all. By now my contractions were every 2-3 minutes. Our families arrived at the hospital and they were all soooo excited. Our parent's were there, my sister and BIL, and my brother spent the night at the hospital waiting! It was like a giant party in the waiting room and I was so overwhelmed to learn that our family had spent the night in the waiting room!

Around 11pm I was checked again and I was 5cm's. I then requested the epidural. The contractions were still manageable but I knew it could take a while for the Anesthesiologist to arrive since there was only 1 on call for the hospital and it was a Long Weekend. He finally showed up at midnight and can me the Epi. It didn't really take right. I was numb from the knees down, and I remember telling my mom that if my uterus was in my ankles we were good to go! My nurse got permission to top up my epi and she did so 4 times before they had to have the Dr come back in. He adjusted the epi and it finally took and I had about an hour of relief and then it wore off! From 1am to 4am I was in hard labour with nothing for pain relief. It was the most intense feeling ever. I remember breathing through them and learned that if I breathed through them instead of tensing up it was a whole lot better. The contractions felt like the worse AF cramps I had ever had (I have Endo so my cramps were pretty bad). The contractions were easier to handle than my Endo cramps though since my Endo cramps never ended and the contractions were only every 1-2 minutes.

The OB came and checked me around 3am and I was 7cm's and still had no working Epi. DH was worried since I had no relief, but as long as the room was dark and quiet I was able to handle it. I remember drinking lots of ice water and resting in between contractions. Finally at 4am the Dr came back to look at my epi. He said I could either go natural like I was doing or he would have to take out the epi and put a new one in. I told him to put a new one in. He tried 2 more times to find the right spot. The IV was more painful than getting the epi. It took about 30 minutes to take effect and had to be topped up 2 times before I could get relief but it finally worked! I managed to get some sleep and relief. At 5:45am I was checked and I was 10cm's and complete. I asked if I could sleep a bit since I didn't have the urge to push yet. I could still feel the contractions but no pain. I just felt pressure. The OB said I could sleep and I was happy. I managed to sleep for 2hrs.

I was woken up at 7:50am and told it was time to push. I did 3 pushes for the nurse and she called the OB and the NICU (due to the meconium). I could feel the urge to poop and was told that was the same feeling as the urge to push and worked with it. Instead of doing 2 sets of pushes I forced myself to do 3 sets of pushes for each contraction. In total there were 2 dr's present (the OB and a resident), 2 NICU nurses, my day nurse and the charge nurse, and DH. It was standing room only. I remember pushing and it was very surreal. I was in control and felt no pain whatsoever. On the 5th contraction the dr told me to stop pushing since the baby was crowing and the head was almost out. With my 6th contraction our beautiful little girl, Makenna Hope Rose, was born at 8:26am. I couldn't believe it. I didn't even break a sweat and from start to finish the pushing phase was only 40 minutes (and that included waiting for the dr to show up and for the NICU nurses to set up). Makenna was born on Labour Day! She was born 10days past her due date and weighed 7lbs 3 ozs and was 20 1/4 incehs long.

I had a 1st degree tear but didn't need an episiotomy. DH cut the cord and Makenna was rushed over to the NICU nurses. They weighed her and bundled her up in a blanket and let me see her for a few seconds. She was grunting and her hands and feet were purple. I also noticed that she had brown in her saliva. I didn't care though. She was beautiful and I was crying because she was finally here. She was then rushed off to the NICU. DH went with them while I was being stitched up. I honestly believe that being allowed to rest those 2hrs that it allowed Makenna to descend further down naturally and when it came time to push I was already stretching naturally to allow her to be born, hence why it was only a 1st degree tear and nothing worse. No muscle tissue torn and the dr was impressed with that. I tore where they would have done an episiotomy, if one was needed.

DH came back to the room an hour later and told me that they had taken Makenna's blood and she was hooked up to oxygen and had to stay in the NICU for a few hours. Well, 4hrs came and went and Makenna still wasn't in our room. So I asked my nurse if I could go and see my baby. My legs were still a bit numb from the epi and she said after I ate some lunch I could go see her. I finally got to see my baby at 1pm, and was wheeled into the NICU in a wheelchair. She was hooked to an IV, a bunch of monitors, and was in the critical care area of the NICU. Her white blood count was border line and she had a Pneumothorax. Both condition completely unrelated to each other. Makenna's 1st breath was so powerful she blew a little hole in her lungs and some oxygen escaped to outside her lung. She was being monitored with 2 daily chest x-rays (1 in the morning and 1 in the evening). DH & I spent 2hrs visiting Makenna in that 1st visit. I just couldn't bring myself to leave her side. She was so beautiful and my little girl and I just had to be with her.

Going back to my room was the hardest thing. I was hearing the babies crying as they were in their rooms with their moms, and I was going to my empty room. It just broke my heart to see the empty bassinette in my room where my baby should have been. I basically decided that I would spend as much time in the NICU with Makenna, and was only in my room to pee, eat and sleep. I couldn't even nap during the day since I just wanted to be with her. After dinner we went back to see her, and our families came back to visit. Everybody was shocked to see that she was still in the NICU and by this time I was walking around since I hated the wheelchair. After everybody left at 8:30pm, DH & I stayed by Makenna's side until 11pm.

I was discharged the next afternoon and spent the remainder of the afternoon by Makenna's side. The drive home without our baby girl was so hard and I cried the entire car ride home. I went home for 3hrs to shower, change, and my mom and sisters came by the house and overwhelmed us with gifts. They had gone shopping all day and bought over 20 outfits for Makenna! We all went back to hospital at 7pm, and when my family left at 8:30pm, DH & I stayed until 11pm again. Makenna was now in an oxygen hood due to her low O2 stats. The Pneumothorax had gotten larger and we were told if it got larger again they would have to put a chest tube in to remove the excess oxygen in her chest cavity. If the oxygen wasn't gone it could cause her little lungs to collapse. We also found out that her white blood count had returned to normal, so she didn’t' require the IV antibiotic therapy. Her pediatrician still thought she would be in the NICU for at least 1-2 weeks but Makenna was a little fighter! I also found out that I could stay in a Parent's Comfort Room the next day if Makenna came out of the oxygen hood so I could nurse her and be with her. I was excited to know I could stay with her.

I went home that night and packed my suitcase again, and the next morning I arrived at the hospital at 9:30am. She was taken of the oxygen and the hole in her lungs had completely healed and closed up! She was only on IV fluids and if she nursed well, she could come of her IV that night. She nursed like a little champ and was eating every 2-3hrs for about 10 minutes on each side. My in-laws came to visit us that afternoon, and DH came to see us once he got off work. He stayed there until 11pm and went home while I stayed in my room at the NICU. I was woken up every 3hrs to come and feed Makenna. It was a long night but so worth it. We found out that she was going home on the Thursday. She was only in the NICU for 4 days!!!! She did so well and recovered faster than anybody could have imagined. The dr's and nurses were amazed! The nurses fell in love with Makenna, and often times I would walk by the nurses station on my way to feed her and she was up with the nurses just hanging out. The nurses were sad to see her leave, but happy at the same time she was now completely healthy!

As a result of not resting the week she was born I had horrible swelling in my ankles. They were more like Knackles and I oculd barely move my ankels they were so swollen, and didn't even look real. It took a week for the swelling to go away and I discovered that lemon water helped. I guzzled that stuff that 1st week. Looking back I should have rested, but I just wanted to spend all my time with Makenna.

We took our little girl home 4 days after she was born and she's been a real joy to our lives. She has such a sweet spirit and loves her cuddles! After 3 losses last year, it was so worth the wait and the pain.

DH, Makenna & I...our first famly pictures. Makenna was in the oxygen hood her 1st night in the NICU.

Our sweet little girl with her IV. I called it the club since it was so big!

Makenna in the NICU, the night before she came home.

Coming home

Makenna 15 days old and healthy as can be!
Thank you Claire1977 for my adorable siggy
For the special little one in your life!
Reply With Quote
September 25th, 2007, 10:52 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12,330
What a beautiful story Nicole. Again - I am so very happy for you, Dh & little Makenna!
B - Crazy momma to my two boys
We've begun to raise daughters more like sons... but few have the courage to raise our sons more like our daughters. ~Gloria Steinem

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

Reply With Quote
September 26th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Rina42308's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 2,991
OMG NICOLE! I am in tears1 What a beautiful story and what an even more beautiful little girl! Reading your story has really helped me today as I was having some anxiety about carrying to term and labor. You saying that all the losses and pain was worth it...that warmed my heart and placed me at ease. Thank you for sharing your story and Mckenna with us. She is gorgeous! I love her!

Mommy to miracle baby 4/23/08 and four babies in heaven:lost 3/22/05 edd 10/28/05, lost 5/25/05 edd 12/26/05, lost 1/31/06 edd 9/19/06

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0