Please help me welcome

Forum: Preemies/NICU

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Preemies/NICU LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 9th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Ryansmommy
Katra to this board as my co host. I know she will be a great assest to it!
August 9th, 2004, 07:48 PM
kittycat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
*blushing*

I really feel honored to be asked to help host. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone better. And if you have any questions of me - just ask away... I try to be an open book when it comes to all that we've been through

Wishing all the love and best health to all of our precious babies!
August 9th, 2004, 08:33 PM
locawith2kids
Welcome Katra, I just started posting on this board. So i'm hoping to get to know you better in the upcoming weeks. I just saw your beautiful boy Kyle. He is such a cutie. How has it been since he's come home? I know when I had Eric he was such a tiny thing. We also have a video showing how the nurse's wedding ring fit right through his little hand and arm. Eric was in the hospital for 6 months and was also sent home with an oxygen tank. I hope you don't mind me asking, but were the twins born on different days? Your signature has two different dates for the boys. Well I look foward to talking with you more and was wondering if you were going to post your birth story.
August 9th, 2004, 09:35 PM
kittycat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, the boys where born on different days.

Konner was the most active of the two, and originally the baby on top. He flipped to the bottom in the middle of an ultrasound a few hours before he was born. At that time he fell footling breech - which was later changed to double footling breech. Konner arrived vaginally, and drug free - the only hope for his survival, and keeping Kyle in. However, Konner only lived 13 minutes. He weighed 1lb 5oz & was 12 inches long. Had konner not have come first, we would have lost both boys.

Although I stopped contracting after Konner's birth, we found out that the placentas where fused - which meant Kyle wouldn't stay inside for long. We made it 4.5 days, long enough to get the full benefit of the 2nd shot of steroids, and a little extra growth time (the stress probably helped him develop too). Kyle's membranes had ruptured 2 days after Konner's birth, and I had contracted a serious staph infection. Along with that, I was severely anemic and required a blood transfusion (I guess I almost died according to my BP - I didn't realize how bad it was, I just thought I was sleepy at the time).

They gave Kyle less than a 5% chance of survival and almost certain death within 3 days of being born... We elected for the emergency vertical c-section regardless. And wow are we glad we did. A vaginal delivery would have sealed his fate.

Kyle was actually pretty big when he came home from the NICU (9lb 2oz). He had to stay in for 2 extra months due to a situation with his breathing after his hernia repair (he developed rt Sided Pulmonary Hypertension - now resolved). He now weighs close to 12lbs (we'll know for certain tomorrow).

We where lucky, Kyle only had 2 operations, and 1 major procedure: ROP Surgery (3+), Left sided hernia repair, and at day 7 of life he preforated his bowel from a yeast infection due to the antibiotics - so they inserted a drain into his abdomen for about a week (didn't NEC).

Overall things are going pretty good. I had a hard time with depression the first week or two. But after we got a solid schedule down, and things in order - that let up. I still have my moments, usually at 4AM waiting for a feeding to go down - but all in all, not bad. As for Kyle, he's adjusting nicely. He quickly figured out that when he cries, mommy & daddy come running to pick him up or put the pacifier back

Is your son still on O2? Can you tell me how that process went for you? Kyle is normally on 1/2 litre, but is recovering from a cold - so he's still up at 3/4.

The wedding ring pictures really say alot don't they?
The one on our website was taken when Kyle was 1 month old. It's DH's size 10.5 wedding band. Amazing isn't it!

What miricles these little babies are!
August 10th, 2004, 02:22 PM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yaaaaaaay! Welcome Katra!!!!

</div>
August 11th, 2004, 09:23 PM
locawith2kids
Thanks for the response, seems to help when someone else has been through what I have been through. Having my son in the NICU for 6 months is very stressful. But bringing him home was alot of work for me too. Eric stayed on O2 for about a year. But he was always sick from catching colds and he was hospitalized for 7 days because he got RSV. He also had ROP surgery. He now wears glasses and has been since he was 2. I go through at least 12 glasses a year. He is always breaking them due to his little tantrums. LOL He developed scar tissue in front of his retina on his right eye. Which is now starting to become a lazy eye. They want me to put a patch on it but so hard to keep it on. His eye does not wander like really bad, it's just a slight movement when he is looking up at me.

I thank God for giving him life and helping him go through all the ordeals in the NICU. For he is a miracle baby. Doctors told me on numerous occasions that he wouldn't make it. But I always had faith in him and I knew he was going to come out alright. Eric does tend to yell things out every now and then. Which is a big concern for me. He is still walking on his toes. His doctors are telling me that my son is autistic. He has symptoms of being that way. But other then that he is a normal little boy to me.

God bless your little boy, he is the cutest little thing! Thanks for your birth story Katra.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search