Brain Atrophy?

Forum: Preemies/NICU

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Preemies/NICU LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 7th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Chatterbox's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Any information or experiences?

April 7th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Bluebayou's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Bluebayou
No I am sorry I hope everything is ok!

April 7th, 2009, 09:10 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry I don't have any personal experience.

I can tell you that I know a few moms whose children have cerebellum atrophy and their kids are doing great. They required therapies and such, but then most preemies do at some point. As I understand it, it can cause many of the same problems later as brain bleeds can. It can also cause little to no problems. It all depends on where the issue is, and your child.

I'll be praying for you and Cayden as you learn more!!

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
April 7th, 2009, 09:36 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Oh hon, huge huge hugs to you!! One of the worst feelings in the world is being told your child had an abnormal MRI. Danny's high risk for restricted brain grown, and has had abnormal MRIs including enlarged ventricles, a possible "pocket" or empty spot, and calcifications ... not exactly brain atrophy, but definitely with similar concerns. One doctor told us he would "most likely" have seizure disorders, learning disorders, and moderate to severe cerebral palsy. (How's that for an optimistic doc?)

The beautiful thing is that a baby's brain is extremely adaptable. Atrophies, damage, etc can result in something...and on the other hand, other parts of the brain may pick up the slack and it could result in nothing. Danny has just hit one year adjusted age and lives to prove doctors wrong. He has never had a seizure and has absolutely no signs of cerebral palsy. It only took him a couple weeks after learning to crawl before he could scale the stairs with no trouble; he has recently been showing an ability to problem solve that his PT is thrilled with. He's still definitely delayed above and beyond his prematurity, and we can't rule out higher skill aphasias or disabilities, but compared to what was "supposed" to happen with the degree of brain impact his virus had, Danny is a miracle.

I'm praying for you guys. If you ever want to talk, my PM box is always open; I think the worst part of anything neurological is the not knowing, the constantly wondering when the shoe is going to drop. I really hope that Cayden is his own little miracle and doesn't let anything stop him!

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
April 7th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
No experience but sending lots of T&P!

April 7th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh Tami, Im so sorry. Ive never even heard of this, but Im sure its not good. Like I read is some of the girls' posts, it can be worked with, so with that said, please maintain your hope and faith. Your baby has done so well thus far, he's so strong. He can only get better. Hugs!
May 13th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Veteran
Hi There

I'm so sorry to hear your news. I thought I would share something similiar that happened to me. I'm new to the thread and I thought I would give you my experience. I had my twins at 27weeks 5 days. They're 2 years old now. Tyler (twin A) had an IVH bleed of 3 and 4. (the worst being 4) his bleed wasn't even on in the ventricles it was on the brain. John (twin B) had bleeds of 2 and 3. (in the ventricles) I thought we would have problems and worked really hard with them socially. Anyways they're fine to date. No issues with learning yet. They were delayed with motor skills.

Anyways in sick kids I always tried to keep in mind that the brain is developing and that I enviroment helps alot and I'll keep your baby in my prayers.

Hugs
August 3rd, 2017, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatterbox View Post
Any information or experiences?
Hi I just wondered if you had any updates? My son is 4.5, MRI just confirmed cerebellar atrophy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search