Log In Sign Up

Post-pregnancy consultation

Forum: Preemies/NICU


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Preemies/NICU LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 5th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,013
I went for my consultation with the doctor that had delivered aidan almost 3yrs ago. He also specializes placental problems with pregnancy. Bad thing is, the hospital/office is all the way downtown, and it's quite far from my house and quite expensive to travel down there. But I have no choice

Anyway, he explained to me that pre-eclampsia is most common in first pregnancies, and some do go on with their second pregnancy just fine. He said that I should not fear too much for the worse because he believes that I will do fine. He said I have about 60-70% chance of reaching 37wks with my second, and a low risk of a survivor in the nicu.

He also said that i am at a prime right now to conceive my second. I will be turning 36 this June. He explained how my body right now still recognizes that I have given birth, therefore I will have a lower risk of pre-e happening again (or be as severe). If I wait too long, closer to 40yrs old, he said that my body will forget that i've had a baby , and the chance of having pre-e will be much higher again.

There is still a chance that second time around for me will a)be exactly like my first or b)be even more severe. But there is also a chance c)i will make it to 37wks with a healthy baby and pregnancy.
So do I take the risk and see what happens??

What would you ladies do? take the risk?
Reply With Quote
April 5th, 2011, 09:22 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Roberts, Wisconsin
Posts: 14,802
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
Sounds like you had a good appointment. We can't tell you what to do about this. If you want another baby and are prepared to have another preemie, go for it. But if you're still anxious about everything, then I'd recommend waiting. But again, I can't tell you what to do because I'm not the one taking the risk. You need to figure out what you and your DH want and listen to your heart.
Reply With Quote
April 6th, 2011, 06:15 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,847
I agree. It is your decision. I had to ask myself, "Do I want a baby more than I'm afraid to be pregnant." When I could answer yes to that, we did it.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
Reply With Quote
April 6th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 13,880
Yeah, that's a really tough call, I honestly don't know what I'd do in your case. But I wish you all the best of luck with whatever you decide!
~Beth in Seattle

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0