Posting Mason's birth story..

Forum: Preemies/NICU

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Preemies/NICU LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 3rd, 2004, 09:30 PM
three_blue_eyed_babies's Avatar Regular
This is the second time I have told Mason's story. It all started when my OB had to leave the country because of his brothers death in Africa. He was gone for 5 weeks. Those 5 weeks his nurses took patients in for weight checks and bp checks and such. Every thing was fine I was told. My doctor returned just before my 35 week checkup. I went in and they checked the usual then when he went to measure my uterus he kept saying its a small baby very small. I was thinking what 4 or 5 lbs? Knowing babies gain a lot the last month I wasn't worried but he was. He made me an appointment the following Monday for a NST. After the test he set me up an appointment with a High risk OB for a level 2 u/s for Wednesday. I went in with the same attitude, how small can he be? The tech of course who did the actual u/s didn't say a hole lot to us besides that she seen him "practicing" breathing which was great. Next thing I know the doctor comes in and tells me I have to deliver now. I was in utter shock... He's small why am I haveing him now? If I didn't deliver in the next few hours he would die. His cord was pulsating backwards(reverse blood cord flow) He was barely gettting enough to survive. I was told he would be under 3lbs... Once again utter shock.

All I could do was cry. Then when he said I had to have a c section because Mason would probably not live through a vaginal birth. I was so scared. I had my first 2 children drug free vaginally. I had my u/s at 10 am. By 2 they were wheeling me in the OR for my c section. ( I had to wait for an open ER) I had a spinal which was another thing that scared the crap outta me. They delivered Mason at 2:13pm. I didnt get to see him they took him straight outta the room. But I heard a little cry.. That I swear is the best sound I ever heard. The nurse peeked her head through the door and said he weighed 2lbs 7ozs and was just over 15 inches long. Then more news that made my heart sing his apgars were 9 and 9. They finished stapling me up and shipped me off to recovery and I still hadn't seen my baby.

At around 4:30 they were taking me to my room and they stopped by the NICU so I could see Mason. I couldn't touch him because I wasn't sterile yet but I got to see my little guy. He had an IV and monitors on him but not a hole lot of things. He was in a warmer with a billi light on him(for jaundice). I think the part I don't want to relive though was the fact they put me in the room across from the healthy baby nursery. I had to sit in my room the first night(still cathed) and listen to other babies cry and I couldn't hold mine...The NICU was on the next floor up so when after I ate breakfast the next day I told them I wanted the cath out NOW... I went in to go to the bathroom and threw up every were(the morphine) So I wasn't allowed to see Mason again til almost 24 hours after his birth. I finally made it down at around 1pm and I got to hold my wee one. He could've fit in a kleenex box. (thats how I would tell people how small he was) During the day I went off and on to see him while I was in the hospital but every night I spent hours in there just to be with my baby....not listen to others cry..

http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/masryan

December 10th, 2004, 07:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh ((hugs)). What a story. I remember listen to the healthy babies cry too. They didn't have a healthy baby nursery at my hospital, the babies roomed with their mothers or they were in the NICU if they needed extra care. And I remember the one next door crying for feedings. And I would lay in my bed and cry too. I just wanted my babies. I also remember not even seeing Andrew when he was born and they wouldn't let me go down there until 8 hrs later. It was days before I could hold them. The things we go through. I'm glad Mason made it. Is he doing well now?
December 13th, 2004, 10:52 AM
mineforever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you for sharing your story. I too was one of those moms stuck in a room with another mom with a healthy crying baby. both nights I was there I cried myself to sleep b/c I couldn't hold my baby and my room mate had hers right beside her. I hope Mason is doing well and thriving very well now.
~Charity - SAHM to 6 Monkeys and expecting #7!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search