Log In Sign Up

Emery-Grace Maria Santos

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2007 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 5th, 2007, 09:32 AM
jewell_diva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 1,085
Ok... so like most of you know, I had my doctor's appointment on Thursday, February 22nd as regularly scheduled. They were trying to do the routine NST, but the baby was being a stubborn little booger, and they could only pick up traces of her heartbeat because she kept rolling around. After about 45 minutes of messing around, the nurses and doctors decided to do an ultrasound. THANK GOD they did that! He told me she was 8 lbs, 2 oz according to the U/S, and I started to BAWL! I knew that despite the fact I am overweight, I don't have very wide hips... I just KNEW if they waited a few more days to induce me, I would probably end up with a c-section. My doctor left the room, and when he returned, he said he had good news and bad news. The bad news and good news was the same: I was going to be induced that day, and I needed to go directly to the hospital. It was good news for obvious reasons, but it was bad news because I had to arrange for my sister to be picked up at the airport by someone else. That was NO PROBLEM! My mom raced me home, I grabbed all my stuff, and she dropped me off at the hospital.... then she drove to the airport to pick up my sis.


I ended up going through most of labor on my own. My mom was gone all day picking up my 2 sisters (it was a lot of driving) and DH was working in a town about 45 minutes away without cell phone reception. I left him a message, and he called me at lunch... I told him just to go ahead and stay at work because I wouldn't have the baby until the evening time anyway.

I was 2.5 cm and 80% effaced-- baby was at station zero. They got all my IV's hooked up, and I turned on the TV. I got up to pee and I had some bloody show, which tells me that labor was going to begin on its own pretty soon anyway. The doctor broke my water at about 2:00, and by the time I had finished 2 episodes of "A Baby Story," the contractions were coming on pretty strong, and at 2-3 minutes apart! (For first-time moms-- the contractions felt like a combination of strong mentrual cramps, and the feeling of having to poop REALLY bad. BTW-- it did not hurt when he broke my water, but I was really scared that it would!) I buzzed the nurse to tell her I was in pain from the contractions, thinking they'd come give me some kind of narcotic... about 5 minutes later the anesthesiologist comes walking in! WHAT??? I was ALREADY getting an epidural??? SWEEEEEEEEET! The epidural was not painful at all... just a little stick, and a weird feeling in the spine. It took about 5-10 minutes to work, and I was in ECSTACY! They stuck all KINDS of tubes into my hoo-ha... internal heart monitors, contraction monitors, catheter and such. It was completely painless. At 4:00, the doctor checked my cervix, and it was at 4.5 cm. I was REALLY getting worried that this baby was going to come, and nobody would be there to see it!!!

I took a nap, and at about 6:00, my first visitor came. It was my boss, and she brought me some balloons and a bunch of goodies! I really wanted to eat, but I knew I wasn't allowed. She asked the nurses to put some warmed blankets on me, and they were awesome! My boss turned the contraction screen toward me, and I saw that I was having some really NASTY-strong contractions, but HAHAHA I couldn't feel them!!! HA! At about 6:30, the mom, the sisters, and the DH came walking in. We were all smiling, talking, laughing... I was taking phone calls... really having a blast!

At about 8:45, I started feeling "pressure". Really, the "pressure" feels like pain... but it must be fun for nurses to call it "pressure" I guess. My sisters were massaging the pain from my abdomen everytime I felt this pressure, which was actually PAIN. The pain was nothing I couldn't handle... I just breathed through it. When the contractions were on top of each other, I called the nurses. They checked me and I was 9.5 cm. WOOOOO-HOOOOO!!!! There was a major party in my room, and everyone started making phone calls telling people I was ready to push.

The nurse said I could prove how good a pusher I was. She said she was going to attempt to push back the last half-centimeter of cervix with her fingers, and if I was a good enough pusher, it would take me to the full 10 cm. I gave it ALL I had, and with that, she said we were ready to have a baby! They would only allow 2 people in the room for the birth, so naturally I chose my mom and DH. I started to push.... and push... and PUSH! It was HORRIBLE! I was pushing as HARD as I could... but I could tell no progress was being made. The nurses kept whispering stuff to each other, and after about an hour and a half, they called the doctor in. I could feel her reaching around in there, but I didn't know what she was doing. Later she told me she was trying to turn the baby because she was face-up. The turning didn't work, and they brought out the vaccume. They kept telling my to PUSH HARDER... but I'm tellin ya, girls. If I would have pushed any harder, my SPLEEN would have EXPLODED!!! I almost passed out about 50 times. It took three sets of pushes, and three sucks with the vaccume, and Emery-Grace literally SHOT out of me! The pressure difference was such a shock to my body, that I began to vommit.

As soon as DH saw our daughter, he cried like a little baby! It was SOOO sweet! He kept kissing my hand and would then run over to the baby and look at her, then run back to me and kiss me again. It was a wonderful moment. Of course, I didn't get a really good look at her right away... I was trying to peer at her between HEAVES! I finally finished throwing up, and the doctor dug my placenta out of me. I could tell she was doing some stitches on me... I heard her tell the nurse I had a 2nd degree tear. Crap! Oh well! At least my baby was born at 11:28pm.... after TWO HOURS OF PUSHING! She was a perfect 8lbs.

It was about 20 minutes before I could hold her. She had a rough first night! They called the nurse practitioner in to see Emery-Grace, because even though she was breathing, she never cried. She was also hyperventilating, which was a concern. They told me she had clubbed feet, but that it wasn't a serious case and could be fixed with physical therapy and leg braces. After I finally DID get to hold her, they had to put her on warming beds 5 or 6 times because her body temperature was low. At about 4:00 am, I got her back, and I did not let go of her again. She breast fed like a pro, and she opened her BLUE eyes! I was SHOCKED.... I was always told that Latino babies were born with brown eyes! They will probably not stay that way-- but one thing is for sure. This child will always have a TON of beautiful black hair! I love her to PIECES! I love her even more everyday... didn't think it was possible to love her more than I did yesterday, but I do!

The pediatrician came in the next morning to tell me that MY BABY DOES NOT HAVE CLUBBED FEET! YAY! I knew that nurse was on crack! HA! Her feet are kidney shaped because of the way she sat in utero. They are almost perfect now after only a week of exercises.

ENOUGH WITH THE NOVEL!!!! Here are pics...

<div align="center">

Reply With Quote
March 5th, 2007, 09:59 AM
*Mrs.T*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Candy Land
Posts: 7,933
Send a message via Yahoo to *Mrs.T*
Shes beautiful congrats!!
Reply With Quote
March 5th, 2007, 10:16 AM
whitlovesoak's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Provo, Utah
Posts: 4,716
Send a message via MSN to whitlovesoak
i know i said congrats in the main forum but i wanted to again! she is soo beautiful. so CONGRATULATIONS momma!~
<div align="center">

Reply With Quote
March 5th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18,997
I cant get over all that hair!!!

she is beautiful

you did a great job

Thank you Brittany for my very pretty siggy!
Reply With Quote
March 5th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Posts: n/a
I'm so happy for you!! She is so cute! Congrats again!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0