Log In Sign Up

Colton Charles

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2007 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 9th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Posts: n/a
Colton Charles
April 5th, 2007
1:52 pm

We started off with the visit to my OB/Gyn Dr. DeRosa on my 37 week appointment. I was dialated to 3 cm and 70% effaced. We began talking of induction but he was not going to be on call until Easter Sunday. He felt that I would not make it until he returned. For the 38 week appointment on Monday, I visited with his partner Dr. Miller. She seemed really nice and I was really comfortable with her. She checked me for progress. I was at a good 3+ cm dialated and 80% effaced for that appointment. She let me know that she would induce me on Thursday, April 5th when she was on call. I jumped at the chance because I am so done being pregnant. We set up the induction schedule. She predicted that if I went into labor, that I would have the baby quickly because it was my third. She said to ignore the instruction sheet guideline of contractions being 5 minutes apart and to come in when they are 7-10 minutes apart.

On Wednesday, I started having contractions in the early afternoon. Plus I did not feel a lot of movement. This is normal for my baby during the day, so I did not worry that much about it. Tom and I planned for one last date night before we had a new baby. So, when he came home, we dropped the girls off at grandma’s house and we went out for dinner. I was still having contractions, but they were just uncomfortable. We made it through the dinner and I was timing them in the car. They were at about 10 minutes. We weren’t sure if it was the real deal, so we went to get the girls from grandma. Then we took them out for ice cream to blow a bit of time to see what happened. The ice cream shop was near the hospital. After we were done, they were about 8 minutes apart so we headed to the hospital. We drove around a bit scoping out the new maternity entrance to see where to go in the morning. Meanwhile we were still timing contractions. They were down to 6 minutes apart so we went in.

I got all checked in and they did a pelvic exam at about 8:30 pm. I was still at 3+ and 80% effaced but the contractions were measuring on the monitor at about 6 minutes apart. Because they detected the baby’s heartbeat, they did not seem to be concerned about my complaint of the reduced fetal movement. The nurse called the doctor on call (Dr. Folley). He told her to have me walk around for a while and to check me for progression. An hour later, I was still a 3+ and 80% effaced. But the contractions were getting more painful for me. Dr. Folley wanted to send me home! The doctor said that I’d be more comfortable sleeping at home. Ha! I’d be in pain, nervous about tomorrow, and irritated. I was not going to be comfortable! We were concerned because Dr. Miller said that we would probably go fast once it kicked in. So we asked, at what point do we come in then? Do we wait until my water breaks to know for sure? The nurse caved and had me walk around for another hour. When she checked me again, I was at a “good 4 cm” and 80% effaced. After talking to her a while longer, we realized that Dr. Folley was not in the hospital but rather at home “on call”. He just completed his 24 hour duty the night before. Ahhh! The light bulb came on, I was a bother and he wanted to see what happened to me before coming into the hospital. The nurse called him back and got him to have me spend the night on observation. They gave me a sleeping pill (ambien) to relax for the night. The contractions continued all night.

Finally, in the morning, Dr. Miller came in. She checked me and I still had not progressed from 4 cm, 80%. She began the pitocin. She said that she’d be back at about 10 to break my water after they did my epidural. The anesthesiologists got stuck in a couple of c-sections so they were late doing my epidural. I was checked for progression at 11:00 and I was still at 4 cm, 80% effaced. Ugh! No progression at all! Finally, the anastesiologists come in at about 11:30 and gave me the epidural. It was wonderful! Finally, pain free! At noon, Dr. Miller checked me again and I was still at 4 cm and 80% effaced. She then proceeded to break my water.

This is when it all started happening! At 12:30, I dialated to 6 cm. At 1:00, I was at 8 cm. Soon after I was at 9. The baby’s heart rate started dropping with every contraction. The nurse said that meant that he was descending into the birth canal and was trying to push his way out. They said that the baby wanted out badly. Soon after, I was at 9 cm. The baby’s heart rate started dropping more and they all got very concerned. The doctor told me to give a little push to try to get my cervix to move out of the way. No luck. She was very concerned and ordered to have me moved to another room for a possible emergency C-section. I was so scared of the C-section but trusted the doctor to make the calls. We got into the new room that I call the “scary” room. It was all white and cold with big surgical spotlights. When we got in there the doctor told me to give a couple of more pushes for one last chance. I never wanted to watch my kids be born, but I decided that I wanted the mirror to watch this one. I am so glad that I did. I could see the progress of my pushing and knew when to give the extra little effort. On the third push, I could see that the head was almost there. I gave it one last umph and his head was out! I DID IT! The doctor got in the way of the mirror, so I missed the rest of the body being born. That’s OK though, I just wanted it for incentive. Once he was born, we saw the problem. The umbilical cord was tied in a complete knot. This is what caused the heart rate drop and the possible lack of movement the night before. The doctor said thank heavens that we took him today. We had a beautiful healthy baby boy! I had a small tear that needed to be stitched up, but nothing major. He was born at 1:52.

In a couple of hours that epidural wore off and I felt good. I had very little bleeding. I felt the best after this birth than any of my previous ones. After being moved to our room and spending about an hour with baby, little Colton was taken to the nursery for observation for GBS symptoms. It gave me a chance to rest. Four hours later, he was back in my arms.

The next day, I went for my tubal. We went back into the scary room for the procedure. I commented on the room to the nurse and she said “you were in here yesterday?” I explained what happened. She commented about how lucky that I was and that I did not know how close that I was to a C-section. The anesthesiologist dosed up my epidural for the procedure with a different pain killer. They dosed stronger but with one that wore off faster. While doing the procedure, I began to get pain in my heart. The anesthesiologist said that it sometimes happens and it is deferred pain. OMG did it hurt!!!! He pumped me with some more drugs to take the edge off of it. With this medication, I could not b-f baby for the next day. I was told to pump and dump until then. So, my baby had to be formula fed in the nursery. After this surgery, I was in much more pain. The pain of the tubal is much, much worse than the pain from the delivery. I needed the Percocet that they have prescribed! Finally this morning, I was able lay on my right side. The residual pain from the heartburn is finally gone! I was led to believe that the tubal after delivery was not that much worse than having the baby. They so lied to me. If any of you consider it, strongly encourage your DH to get the procedure done!
Reply With Quote
April 9th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Posts: n/a
Wow! Thanks so much for sharing your story!! I'm so glad that you didnt have to have the c-section, but that they were so prepared just in case. Thats always a comforting thought!!

Sorry the tubal was so painful!! & I wish you a speedy recovery!

Enjoy your little man!
Reply With Quote
April 9th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 8,889
Wow, what a story! I'm so glad everything was great with baby and you were able to deliver without a c section! That stinks about your tubal surgery. I hope you feel better.

Reply With Quote
April 9th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Thelittlemermaid's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ohio, but in my heart I live in Walt Disney World
Posts: 2,187
Popping in from the July 2006 PR...

All I can say is WOW! I'm happy that everything turned out great for you and Colton in the end.

He is such a doll baby! I hope to be able to see him in person soon. Ron and I just might have to make it to a meeting.

Thank you to Yvonne {Jaidynsmum} for the siggie, I LOVE IT! =)

Reply With Quote
April 9th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Posts: n/a
I have to go along with the other ladies and say "wow"! You did great mama!!! and thanks for the info about the tubal.
Reply With Quote
April 9th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Posts: n/a
Ronna - We'd love to see you in person soon! The kids would have so much fun together.

My little baby is so sweet... he sleeps all day and becomes active in the evening and night, just like he was when he was in my belly! Stinker.
Reply With Quote
April 9th, 2007, 05:48 PM
demandaj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nor C.A
Posts: 1,756
Send a message via MSN to demandaj
Wow what a long journey for you...I am glad you were able to get him out before the section...Congrats....

Reply With Quote
April 9th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Posts: n/a
So glad you were able to push little Colton out! Way to go! And I'm sorry to hear how painful the tubal was... I hope you feel 100% again soon.

Congratulations again! Thanks for sharing your story!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0