Log In Sign Up

Megan Alexa's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2007 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 6th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Posts: n/a
Let me see if I can recall all of this... so much happened, it sort of seems like a blur already, but here is how I remember it...

I went in to be induced at 9:00 a.m. on Wednesday May 30th. I was a little nervous, I remember crying a little on the car ride to the hospital. DH was consoling me though, telling me it would be ok. We got to the hospital, went up to registration in L & D and got settled into a very large delivery room. That is where I spent the next 27 (almost 28) hours. Had I known that at the time, I would have been much more nervous! Anyway, we got into the room, and a nurse came in and had me change into a hospital gown, and she got me started on the IV of just fluids first. After I was on that for a little while, my doctor came to insert the foley catheter. That hurt. A lot. I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but I was in tears as she tried to place the catheter. DH held my hand while she did it, and soon it was over. They then attached another IV that would drip saline solution into the catheter to open my cervix to 5cm. I could still get up and move around with the catheter in, so that was nice to be able to get up and go to the bathroom, sit on the birthing ball, etc. They also started the Pitocin around the same time as the foley. The foley wasn't too bad once it was in for a few hours. The only thing that I didn't care for was that the saline solution would drip out of me, so I was constantly laying in a wet bed. yuck. After a couple hours, the nurse suggested that I sit on the birthing ball, to get the baby to move down further, so I did that and posted on JM about what was going on. After a little while on the birthing ball, the pain started to get bad, so they moved me to my bed again and I was given Nubane. That made me feel VERY drunk, which I am not complaining about because feeling drunk is a lot better than being in pain. The Nubane gave me relief for about an hour, then as it was wearing off, I started feeling nauseous. The nurse helped me get up and go to the bathroom, and I threw up while I was in there. I felt pretty bad at that point. I was nauseous and the pain medication had worn off. That part was no fun! I got back to my bed, and throughout the night, vomited about 3 or 4 more times. After a little while, the nurse suggested that it might be a good time for me to get my epidural, since I was dilated to 5cm and the foley catheter had fallen out, so I accepted the epi. The anesthesiologist came in, and it took 2 tries to get the epi placed correctly, but it really didn't feel that bad, and I was greatful that I didn't get the "electric shock" in the leg that you sometimes get, and he could also tell that it went in in such a way that I most likely wouldn't get the "epi headache" that you can also get from those. So, I felt pretty good about how that went and was just waiting for the medicine to kick in and give me some relief. Around 3 p.m., they came in and broke my water, hoping to get the labor to progress faster. That felt like a big wet gush-- again, yucky! One the epi was in, I was confined to my bed, so the nurse had to drain my bladder with a catheter, but it was the kind she would just put in, take the urine out, and remove right away. It wasn't until later that she put the kind in that stays in until you start pushing. The catheter wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be, so that was nice. I'm not clear on when this started happening, but at some point after my water had been broken for a while, I developed a fever. They kept checking my temp each hour, and my fever kept going up, so they had to start giving me Tylenol, and they also went through 4 IV bags of pennicillin to protect the baby. That was a little scary, and I was scared at several points that they were going to have to do a c-section if my fever wouldn't come down. Fortunately it never came to that though, and soon after delivery my fever started to come down and eventually I was back to normal. Anyway, back to the induction... they kept me pretty comfortable pain wise, and I remember in the night, a nurse would come in every hours or so and turn me over. I didn't realize that epi's work on gravity, so you can't stay in 1 position for very long or the epi medicine pools in that part of your body. Most of the night I remember my right leg being more numb than my left, and I couldn't even lift it. The nurse had to pick it up and lift it for me each time she turned me over. At 7:45 a.m., after being in labor for about 23 hours, I eventually dilated to 10 cm and was able to start pushing. The nurse told DH and I how to do it, so we went at it. I remember too that on the monitor, each time I pushed, a number would show up indicating how hard (or effective) I was pushing. I had never heard of that before. Anyway, my pushes were registering numbers in the 40's, and the nurse said they needed to be in the 70s or 80s. I couldn't understand why they were registering so low because I was pushing with ALL of my strength, but oh well. DH and I pushed for 3 hours, and the baby never reached the crowning point. She was +2 station, but not crowning, so the nurse said I might need a c section. She brought in the resident doctor because my doctor was away, and the resident examined me and felt that the baby would fit through my pelvis, so she suggested getting my regular doctor there and the two of them would try a vacuum assisted delivery. She said I'd get about 3 pushes with the vacuum to get the baby out, and if it didn't work they'd have to section me, but it was worth a try. So, she left, and my doctor was paged. However, my doctor was actually at another office and got stuck in some really bad traffic so it was over an hour before she could get to me. During that time, my epi wore off!!! That was the WORST pain of my life!!!! I can't even begin to describe it. I can't imagine how some women do the whole thing without pain medication. I really thought I was dying at one point. I felt like I was losing control of my body. I was laying there not trying to push, but my body did it anyway (still not effective, but I couldn't help but push). I was crying and groaning and I could see that it was upsetting DH, but I couldn't help it. After about 30 mins like that, the anesthesiologist came in and got me more of the epi medicine. I was good again once that kicked in. Around 11:15 a.m. my doctor showed up with the vacuum, and suddenly the room was full of people. I guess with the vacuum delivery, they bring in a NICU doctor, the resident doctor and extra nurses. There were probably about 8 people in the room when I delivered. Once they got the vacuum placed on her head, things got tense. We watched the monitor for the next contraction, and everyone in the room yelled at me to push! My doctor kept telling me she could only guide the baby out, but it was up to me to push her out! I had about 3 tries to get it done, and I have never focused or worked so hard for anything in my life!!! I looked up at DH as he was holding my leg, and I could see tears in his eyes, so I teared up as well. I pushed with the first contraction with the vacuum on, and she came down. Then we waited for the next contraction and the doctor said with the next one we'd have a baby. I pushed, and she came down further, but still no baby! I had one more shot. The third contraction came, they all yelled at me to push and out she came!!!!!!! I started bawling, and DH was crying, and she was crying. It was the best moment of my life. They pulled up my hospital gown and laid her on my bare belly and DH cut the cord. I just couldn't believe it when I saw her! I still can't believe she's mine. During the delivery I got an episitomy and a 4th degree tear, but it was all worth it. I remember laying there watching her in the warmer while the doctor sewed me up. She checked out fine, and is totally perfect. After I was put back together, we did the kangaroo care, where my gown was removed and she was placed with just her diaper on on my bare chest, and we laid like that together for about 20 minutes, then I nursed her for the first time. Such a beautiful day! After about 2 hours I was moved to a post partum room.

I think that is about it!
Reply With Quote
June 6th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Posts: n/a
Congratulations on Megan's arrival! She is just gorgeous!
Reply With Quote
June 6th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Posts: n/a
She is such a pretty little thing.. she just has this ..i dont even know how to put it into words but she looks angelic.. you worked super hard for that girl and you did a great job. Congrats on your new family
Reply With Quote
June 6th, 2007, 08:45 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 39,051
Oh she is so beautiful! I'm sorry you had such a rough delivery. I can't imagine going through such a long labor. I'm glad the end result was so beautiful though! Congratulations!

Reply With Quote
June 7th, 2007, 07:57 AM
sassysarah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 5,523
I'm so glad that Megan made it into the world safely. Sorry you had such a hard time with the delivery, at least it was worth it!

Reply With Quote
June 7th, 2007, 09:38 AM
sanderson76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 13,344
Send a message via MSN to sanderson76
Amie, Congrats!!!! She is beautiful!!!


Reply With Quote
June 7th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Alabama
Posts: 22,812
good story, sorry you had a rough time...but they are always so worth any struggle, arent they? CONGRATS again!

Reply With Quote
June 7th, 2007, 08:41 PM
*Angel*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: canon city, CO
Posts: 33,970
Send a message via MSN to *Angel* Send a message via Yahoo to *Angel*
Wow, you poor thing, it looks like we didnt send you enough ELV's!! Im glad everything turned out and you were able to have your vaginal birth!!! Congrats!!!

Reply With Quote
June 9th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Posts: n/a
Having her was definitely the hardest thing I've ever done, from conceiving her to delivering her.... but I'd do it again tomorrow if I had to.
Reply With Quote
June 10th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Posts: n/a
How did I miss this until now??? Congrats, she is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!

So, did I win?? Did I guess the right date or anything?? Was I even close?? LOL!!

Oh, and the nubane stuff....oh I hated the drunk feeling, and for me it just curbed the pain it wasn't worth it for me beause my whole labor I had to close my eyes from it because I felt like i was going ot puke...which I did end up doing during transition! LOL

Congrats again, I cant wait to see more pics!!
Reply With Quote
June 14th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Jacquie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,973
What a beautiful story Amie, congratulations!
TTC #1:
5/28/05: miscarriage
08/30/05: miscarriage
01/15/05: misdiagnosed with PCOS
08/29/06: first appt at fertility clinic (was already pregnant with dd and didn't know it)
05/16/07: DD was born

TTC #2:
11/13/09: let's try again!
03/10/10: tests with new OB - everything totally normal for DH and I, no indication of pcos; officially diagnosed with "Unexplained Infertility"
04/21/10 - 10/13/10: 7 unsuccessful rounds of clomid with OB
11/13/10 - 14/23/11: 3 unsuccessful IUI's with clomid at fertility clinic
07/27/11: ER for IVF - retrieved 27; 17 were mature enough to fertilize; all 17 fertilized; 11 made it to day 3 embryos; 6 made it to day 6 blasts. Transferred 1, froze 5.
08/08/11: positive hpt!
08/13/11 - 08/20/11: positive blood test (186), but cramping and bleeding. 2 days later, blood at 275; 2 days later, blood at 21. Inevitable miscarriage.
10/13/11: start suprefact for first FET
Reply With Quote
June 30th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 27,408
Amie ~ SHe is beautiful! I can't believe she is already here. It seems like yesterday that you were announcing your BFP on the Charting board. CONGRATS!
Check out hEvan @ http://www.etsy.com/store/hEvan
for some great handmade items.
All proceeds go to a family struggling w/ infertility!

Reply With Quote
June 30th, 2007, 04:49 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Eagle, Idaho
Posts: 60,398
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Oh wow, I would have loved an effectiveness thing during my first pregnancy!!! That's a neat tool...and wow what a long labor!!!

Reply With Quote
September 11th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 101
Congratulations on your little one!
Jennifer (25) mom to:
Sage Elizabeth (June 26, 2007)

<div align="center"></div>
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0