Log In Sign Up

Twins Birth Story (better late than never!)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2007 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 30th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 151
This is going to be long...

I had been on bedrest with the twins since I was 31w5d, and went to the dr on May 14 when I was 34w5d...three weeks after being put on bedrest. My DH and my mom came with me to the apointment...good thing they did!

First we had an ultrasound with growth measurements. The tech gave us their weights and Alpha (our girl) had only grown 3 oz since our last growth scan 2 weeks prior. Beta (our nickname for our boy) had grown a pound. So then we went to the waiting room to wait for the appt with the OB. While out there we started talking about how the OB would probably recommend delivery sometime soon b/c Alpha wasn't growing. We had to wait quite a while, and I kept telling my mom and DH how hungry I was and that I wanted to go out to eat right after the appointment. I had only had a very small breakfast. Now I know why Luci always said to eat before appointments! Finally the OB popped in and told us that Alpha's growth was getting restricted by her brother and it was time to deliver. I figured it would be in a day or two, but instead she said we were to go straight to L&D!! She recommended that we do a c-section b/c Beta was larger by more than a pound on ultrasound and she was concerned he would flip after she delivered Alpha, then be too large for a breech delivery and I would wind up with both a vaginal and c-section delivery. So we opted for a c-section. I love my OB, but she wasn't on at the hospital that day, so she called to see who was. I could tell she was concerned b/c she came back and said that we should go to the hospital, but she would come when she was done with her appointments and do the c-section with the other doctor. YEA! So I got to have my OB do the c/s after all. Worst thing was that it was now noon and I'm starving, but now I can't eat or drink anything til after the babies are here. Yikes!

We drove home to get my hospital bag...making phone calls the whole way! DH's parents started making airline reservations. Oncee we got to the hospital and got settled in a room they started my IV and we just hung around. I started to feel very strange, and right before the c/s the anesthesiologist came in to touch base, and I couldn't even talk to him. I knew I wasn't making sense, and had some important things to tell him (like give me all the anti-nausea meds b/c I didn't want to puke!). They tested my blood sugar and it was super low. So they gave me dextrose IV and I rapidly improved and felt TONS better. Then my DH and my mom suited up and off to the OR we went. THe spinal was so fast I didn't realize he was done -- amazing! Rory was first to arrive at 6:10pm, and Owen followed quickly at 6:11. THey were kept in the OR as they assessed them. Each had apgars of 8 and 9. Then they wrapped them up and DH got to hold them and bring them to me. We snuggled, then they headed to NICU b/c they were preemies. DH went with the babies and my mom stayed with me. The docs had a hard time getting my uterus to contract, so they starting giving me all kinds of meds which were making me feel horrible. So the very nice anesthesiologist gave me some meds to fall asleep while they finished the c/s and my mom just held my hand while they finished.

I woke in recovery and slowly regained feeling in my legs. DH came and brought pics of the babies which we taped onto my bed and they stayed their my entire hospital stay. After I woke up some they wheeled me to the NICU and I got to see my babies.

All went well from there until Thursday. I began to feel very sick and didn't know what was happening. That late afternoon they finally ran some tests and found that I had free gas in my abdomen. 20 minutes later I was in surgery again for an exploratory. I wound up with a big vertical incision and they took 18+ inches of bowel out b/c it had ruptured. Ugh! So, a long story short (kind of) I stayed in the hospital an additional 10 days recovering from that surgery. I had a nasogastric tube (horrible!) and all kinds of meds in my IV, as well as IV nutrition b/c I couldn't eat for so long. The babies were discharged before me, but stayed in my room the whole time. DH was amazing and took great care of all three of us the whole time. He was truly a rock for all of us to rely on. He slept in the hospital the entire time, and went to every feeding for the babies (except for 2 am, but he had to sleep sometime!).

We finally came home May 26th. Phew.

Here are the babies stats
Aurora Catherine (Rory) 4#6oz 17 inches
Owen Thomas 5#2oz 17 inches
7 days in the NICU to learn to eat
Beautiful babies!!

Now for some pics!
Mommy meeting the babies

Proud Daddy

Our room in the hospital once the babies moved in (we were on the surgery floor...not the nice L&D rooms)
Lots and lots of meds going into my IV!!

Our In Vitro doc meeting the babies when they were a month old

Rory (left) and Owen (right) checking each other out



That's our story...thanks for reading the saga!

Reply With Quote
June 30th, 2007, 08:21 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 39,051
Wow that is some story! I'm glad that you are doing better. It must have been hard to go through all of that and then have to stay in the hospital for so long. The babies are beautiful! I love the pic of them looking at each other!

Reply With Quote
June 30th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Alabama
Posts: 22,812
wow you had a rough time. big ((hugs) to ya. Ive seen patients with NG tubes and they do look horrible. and your DH was such a champ taking care of all of you while you were stuck in the hospital, that is so great!!! Your babies are beautiful, CONGRATS!

Reply With Quote
September 11th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 101
Congratulations on your little ones!
Jennifer (25) mom to:
Sage Elizabeth (June 26, 2007)

<div align="center"></div>
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0