Log In Sign Up

River Layne Arrives!!!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2007 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 13th, 2007, 02:14 AM
LeeG's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: B.C. Canada
Posts: 6,063
Born into this world on August 3rd 2007 at 9:49 pm
8 lbs ~ 20.5 inches long


I was scheduled for induction at 40 weeks, 5 days on Friday, August 3rd at 7:30am.

I awoke in the wee hours of Friday morning, way too excited to possibly sleep anymore. The day had come where I would finally meet my sweet baby!!! After showering and a bowl of Lucky Charms, I rolled Graham and the boys out of bed to get ready. I was nervously watching the clock until 7, when I had been told to call L&D to make sure there was still a bed available. Thankfully, a bed had my name on it! So we set out, first dropping the kiddies off at our friend’s house and arriving at the hospital around 7:15am.

After being admitted, we made our way to the second floor and checked in at the nurse’s station. Once we were settled in a room, I got changed into a lovely gown that just happened to be missing a tie in a crucial location. DH filled out the paperwork while a nurse hooked me up to a contraction thingy. She explained that they would monitor baby for half an hour, then call the doc. The half an hour flew by and the nurse announced we had one happy baby in there and went to call Dr. Z. He arrived around 8:45am and after a quick internal check (I was still between 2 to 3cm’s dilated, 60% effaced) proceeded to gel my cervix up. Almost immediately, I felt warm, tingly and kind of crampy. Then it was back on the monitor for one hour to make sure baby was tolerating the induction fine, which he was. The game plan was to meet Dr. Z back in L&D around 2:30 to see how things were progressing and whether or not I would need another application of gel. So off we went.

~~Early Labour~~

By noon, I was experiencing regular timeable contractions that were about 5 minutes apart and lasting 30 seconds. They were not too painful, just felt like really bad cramps. I managed to have a short cat nap on the sofa and eat some lunch. By the time 2 pm rolled around, the contractions were starting to pick up and feeling way sharper, though they were still only 30 seconds long. We headed back to the hospital and met Dr. Z in the same room. I was reattached to the monitor and all looked good. He said I appeared to be in the early stages of labour, all my body had needed was a kick start. He didn’t want to use any more gel because of the risk of over stimulating the uterus BUT he warned us the contractions could fizzle out and a re-gel might be necessary later on. We were to return at 9pm to reassess the situation if I was not yet in active labour. Meanwhile the nurse had been reading my contractions on the monitor and predicted she would see us back sooner. (She was right! )

~~Active Labour~~

By the time we got home, the contractions were really beginning to hurt. DH popped in the movie Meet the Fockers for distraction while we continued to time them. And by the time the movie was over a pattern had begun to emerge: every 4 minutes on average, I’d have the BIG one that would make me grit my teeth and whimper (this was only the beginning of all the sounds I was to make ), lasting between 45 and 60 seconds. Then two smaller ones would follow, lasting only 30 seconds. They were all strong enough I was dealing with them by rocking back and forth on my hands and knees on the floor and moaning. I remember wanting to go back to the hospital, but worried it was still too early and we’d just get sent home again. So I preserved until 7ish, determined the next time I was admitted would be the last. On the seemingly loooong drive back to the hospital (it only actually took 10 minutes), poor DH nearly lost some fingers I was squeezing his one hand so hard. Once there, we managed to get back to the L&D floor on foot. I knew gravity would help baby put the pressure on my cervix to open, but man that was one difficult walk. I was quickly readmitted, re-gowned (somehow this one was missing the exact same tie! ) and up on a bed to be assessed. The contractions had now become extremely painful and I was getting more and more vocal. Imagine my disappointment when the nurse said I was STILL only 3cms and my cervix was STILL very posterior. I almost started bawling. I was terrified they were going to tell us to go back home again. Instead, my nurse Lisa (she was a godsend!) suggested I get in the tub. The warm water felt great and helped me to manage the horrible pain a little better. I was still half moaning half chanting Oh, Oh, Oh, through every contraction and gripping DH’s hand for dear life while Lisa rubbed my back and told me how fabulous I was doing. Then came the waves of nausea and I threw up into the bathroom trash can. Not my finest moment there. That’s also when I started shaking uncontrollably and decided it was time to get out of the tub, dreams of an epidural in my head. As I was climbing out, I could hear loud counting nearby, then someone yelling “PUSH, PUSH!!”, and a woman’s piercing scream…a brief pause…then the sweet sounds of a baby crying. Everything came back into focus and I remembered the excruciating pain had a purpose, my baby was coming!!! Once I was out of the tub, the three of us shuffled me back to the room where Dr. Z was waiting. (I later learned from DH that I mooned everyone in the hallway ) I meant my first words to him to be, how about that epidural now, but it came out, “epi…PANT PANT …dural…PANT…now…!” Of course he wanted to check me first. While he was elbow deep, Dr. Z called to my nurse and asked when she had checked me last because I was now 8 cm’s and completely effaced! My first thought was YESSS, epidural here I come! My second was, Oh Sh*t, the camera!! Not thinking, we had left my bag in the car so DH set off running to fetch it. Right after he left Dr. Z broke it to me there was no time for an epi, the anesthesiologist would never make it. This baby was coming fast! I admit I started to panic, crying out, “I can’t do it without one…Oh, oh, I just can’t!” My nurse Lisa made soothing sounds while rubbing my still trembling shoulders and told me, “Yes you can! Your body was made to do this…you’ve come along so fast, you’re doing so great! Soon you’ll be meeting your baby!” Again, thank goodness for such a wonderful nurse! She really helped to calm me down and relax enough to let my body take over and do what it was made to do! With her assistance, I managed to get off the table and that’s about when I felt a warm mushiness between my legs and a sudden gush. I cried, “I think my water broke!” But it was only a huge icky glob of bloody show. Together, we managed to walk me the short distance across the hall (mooning all the way again ) into the birthing room and up onto the birthing bed.


This is when the tremendous urge to push hit me like a freight train. The pressure was so intense it felt like my bum was literally going to explode! I hollered, “I need to push!” and suddenly it was a mad scrabble to locate Dr.Z and get everything ready. This is also when I noticed my DH was still missing! In a panic, I cried to Lisa, “My husband! He doesn’t know where we are!” Her response was, “Don’t worry sweetie, he’ll hear you!” I guess my volume level had gone up quite a few more notches, hehe! Thankfully, both Dr.Z and DH burst through the door at that moment, because panting was so NOT helping. Everything began to feel surreal as my body was gripped by another excruciating contraction. I believe I screamed, “I’m going to push now!” Then WHOOSH as my membranes exploded in a tidal wave of fluid all over the place. Dr. Z was frantically pulling on his gloves and gear saying, “Slow down Lee! Work with me!” as I began to bear down with all my might. But there was no stopping my body now and with that one forceful push, the baby literally popped out onto the bed between my legs. It was complete and instant relief, like the pain had never been. I struggled into a semi sitting position as our precious baby boy was placed on my chest all wet and squirming and already rooting for the breast. He was so beautiful, so perfect! I just started bawling with joy. And when his little squinting eyes met mine, my heart totally melted and I fell instantly head over heels in love!!! I looked over at DH and read the same in his eyes. It was such an intense, amazing, emotional moment. River Layne had arrived!!!

After the cord was cut and the placenta delivered, DH and I cuddled our sweet bundle while Dr. Z got busy cleaning out membrane tissue left inside me with forceps. Because I pushed River out so fast after my water broke, some of the membranes were still up in me. It hurt pretty bad, but nothing like the contractions at the end. I just kept loving on River, the ultimate distraction. I ended up with three stitches in total, which haven’t bothered me at all except for the going in part. I’m still amazed by the fact I had drug free labour and delivery! What an empowering feeling! B) And DH was so incredible throughout. It was by far my most painful, yet exhilarating birth experience. Thanks for reading!

And now a few pictures for your viewing pleasure.

Welcome to the world sweet baby!!!

Through the ringer, but oh so worth it!

Hey dad!

We've all been waiting to meet you!

Proud mom to Branden (13.5) and Cam (8.5) and River, our 8 month old bouncing baby boy!

Reply With Quote
August 13th, 2007, 12:32 PM
hockeymomto4boys's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 13,161
Wow Lee, what an amazing birth story told sooo well I felt I was there!! I'm soo happy you are finally holding River, he is BEAUTIFUL! Congrats hun!!
Corene, Mommy to 4 beautiful boys Braedyn 14, Bailey 11, Teagan 10 & Tannen 3!

Reply With Quote
August 15th, 2007, 11:56 PM
PennyLane1121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 1,870
That was such a great story, im glad it worked out well for you! He is absolutely beautiful! Im so happy for you. I love his name. My DH told me to tell you, you rock for giving your boy such an awesome name. Congrats!

Reply With Quote
August 16th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,027
Send a message via MSN to Olathe
amazing , you did great! He is a doll! And I love the Name!
Your labour seemed to go fas t just like a few of us here on the boards !
Sometims I wonder if it is better or not !
<div align="center"></div>
<div align="center"></div>
<div align="center">Alysanne 18, Miranda 16, Raven 14, Cain 11, Dariusz 9 and Miss Olivia 14 Months Grandson On The Way</div>
Reply With Quote
August 18th, 2007, 08:44 PM
LeeG's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: B.C. Canada
Posts: 6,063
Thanks mamas! It was such an incredible experience, I almost wish I could stuff him back up there and do it all over again! Silly hormones!

That was such a great story, im glad it worked out well for you! He is absolutely beautiful! Im so happy for you. I love his name. My DH told me to tell you, you rock for giving your boy such an awesome name. Congrats! [/b]
Right back at ya! Aedan Fox is one rockin' name!!! B)
Proud mom to Branden (13.5) and Cam (8.5) and River, our 8 month old bouncing baby boy!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0