Log In Sign Up

Felicity's Unplanned Unassisted Home Waterbirth

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2007 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 23rd, 2007, 09:23 AM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,869
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
Felicity Ann

Born 10/06/05

6:06 am

9 lbs 0 in. , 20 1/2 in

I woke up at 4:30 Thursday morning and had a strange and intensifying burning and stinging feeling in my cervix. Looking back, I assume this was my cervix effacing the rest of the way. About 15 minutes later, I had my first contraction. It lasted only about 30 seconds, but it was difficult to breathe or talk through. I stood up, and had another one, also 30 seconds long. I decided to see if my positioning made any difference. I laid down, and had another one, 30 seconds long, about 5 minutes later. I stood up again and had one 2 minutes later. I thought this was odd, and called my midwife. She told me that my uterus might just be irritated from the evening primrose oil capsules I had inserted the night before (same effect as sex in late pregnancy with the prostiglandin's efffacing properties), or that it might be the start of labor. She told me to call her if things changed.

I endured a few more contractions by myself, and then had my husband get up to provide moral support through them about 5:20 am. This should have been a big clue that something hand changed, but we both ignored it. If I was having trouble talking throuhg them, and felt I needed moral support, things were moving along quikcly. I used the techniques I remembered from my Bradley birth classes with my first child, to vocalize low and moaning, to keep my chin to my chest, those sorts of things. I hadnt used any of them for my second birth, because the pace was nice and relaxed. I was shocked at how incredibly painful they were becoming, and how quickly they progressed to 2 minutes apart peaking after a minute.

My husband called my midwife again to tell her of the change, and I had some significant bloody show. I had NO idea what was going on, but the contractions were just monstrous. Having been through labor twice, I was not feeling terribly confident or competent.

Don't you love transition?

I asked Rob to fill the bathtub, as I thought it might provide some relief, and then I called my mom to tell her we were having a baby today. That was at 6 am. I felt another rush coming, and got off the phone. During this contraction, my body started to push! I considered momentarily that I must be misinterpreting the urge to push, I didnt even know if baby was engaged!!! Well, by the time that rush was over, I decided I'd better get off the living room couch if I didn't want to have the baby right there on the floor.

I ran out of the living room tearing my pajamas off as I scurried down the hallway yelling "She's coming! She's coming!", and made it into the tub. I prayed very quickly that God would preserve me from tearing badly, and that he would keep us both safe.

I had no sooner gotten in the water than I had the most amazing contraction. I really did not push Felicity out. Felicity pushed herself into the world, and I just sorta held onto Rob's hand and the bar above the soap dish while I felt like my body was ripping into two pieces. My bag of waters exploded with that one long pushing contraction, and her head was out!

Rob supported her head in the water while I waited for the next rush to push her body out. The second contraction hit and she came out with the force of a torpedo. Rob says if he hadn't been there to catch, she might have hit her head on the other side of the tub with the sheer velocity of her exit. The express train route!

Her cord was nice and long, and it was looped loosely around her head and around her body too... so we unwrapped her, and he handed her to me. She was quie and alert, looking around at the well lit bathroom, but no yelling or anything. We weren't even sure if she was breathing at that point, she may have still been breathing from the cord, and she did seem a bit shocked to be perched on my knee.

Rob called the midwife and asked what he ought to know about delivering the placenta. She was in shock that I had already had the baby!!! Right on cue, Felicity let out a nice strong wail, and my midwife told him to get some chux pads from the birth kit and help me out of the tub. She said to wait for the placenta and to not cut the cord till she arrived.

My daughters woke up around the time he was on the phone, and they were able to see me and the baby in low light in the bathtub just minutes after her arrival. They were so excited. Grace heard me laboring, but was too scared to get out of bed. As soon as the baby cried the first time, she fairly flew in to see.

My husband is a very calm and levelheaded person. I always knew that if we were faced with a precipitous birth situation, that he would perform well under pressure and be a great source of strength and focus for me. He was just exactly those things, and I am so blessed to have a husband who can keep his wits about him! He told me later that I made it all look easy, not sure how that's possible since I was barely contained for that last half hour or so!

It was a fascinating journey, and I can say looking back that while being in the throes of a 1 hr 15 minute birth is terrifying, it was just as it should have been. My blood pressure was 150 over 100 when my midwife arrived, and I dont believe I could have labored for very long at home with blood pressure that high. I would not seek to repeat an unassisted birth, as I happen to love my midwife as a dear friend, but Rob and I enjoyed our "do it yourself" experience.

Here we are about 30 minutes after the birth:


Thank you BAM for my signature!!

Reply With Quote
August 23rd, 2007, 10:02 AM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 35,717
What a sweet, sweet family pic!!!!!

I hope this baby doesn't come quite that fast. lol! But I wouldn't be surprised if he came in under 2 hours as Ry's would have only been 2.5 hours if I didn't wait for the doc for 40 minutes. I won't wait again! No way! Isn't it amazing how they can push themselves out? Ry was doing that too...I guess after being nearly crowned for 40 minutes he decided to start coming out...my body was doing what yours did. It was pushing him out...I was not. But it hurt so badly to not push while he was coming out that I did push (for about 5 seconds) before his head was all the way out. But it was 1/2 before I started to push at all.

What an amazing birth story! Unassisted, unplanned birth at home!!!!


Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (13.75), Ryllan (11.5), Finn (7.5), and Zane (4).

Reply With Quote
August 23rd, 2007, 10:14 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NH
Posts: 10,745
Wow! I both laughed and cried reading this! "She's coming! She's coming!" That's absolutely amazing! Thank you for sharing it with us!

Reply With Quote
August 23rd, 2007, 10:42 AM
hollypop's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Oxfordshire
Posts: 2,522
Send a message via MSN to hollypop
Aww, amazing story! I'm very impressed at how you and your hubby handled it! Made me cry!
<div align="CENTER">

The current mood of hollypop:
Reply With Quote
August 23rd, 2007, 02:08 PM
mamatomaica's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2006
Location: west sussex, england
Posts: 5,686
Send a message via MSN to mamatomaica
wow.. this is a fantastic birth story!!

Beautiful Siggy by Claire!
Reply With Quote
August 29th, 2007, 10:21 PM
.Shelly.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,447
Send a message via AIM to .Shelly.
That's a great birth story! You're brave!

And so lucky to have a calm, levelheaded DH!

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob for my siggy!

Reply With Quote
August 30th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SW FL
Posts: 8,785
Thanks for sharing all of your birth stories! I hope to have anatural wonderful birth like one of yours
Leann <3 Hector
My trio: Alyssa 7, Tristan 4.75, Gavin 1.5

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

Reply With Quote
October 21st, 2007, 06:51 PM
ASHLEYS429's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 387
Wow..What an amazing story! Congrats to you and your family!

October 12, 2008
Reply With Quote
October 21st, 2007, 07:44 PM
Lcoots's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 9,752
WOW thats awesome..

Uhm werent your expecting a THOMAS and not a Felicity??? or am i mistaken? lol
<div align="center">
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0