Log In Sign Up

Amador Anthony's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2007 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 24th, 2007, 01:33 AM
TrishNicole's Avatar Member
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 20
Send a message via AIM to TrishNicole Send a message via MSN to TrishNicole Send a message via Yahoo to TrishNicole
My due date was August 13th. It was my first pregnancy and I'm 22 years old. Early July 21st I went to pee and found bloody show. My pregnancy had been so normal up to that point, uneventful, without noticable braxton hicks, just low back ache that I didn't even pay much attention to. I figured every pain I felt was nothing compared what it could be so I never paid any attention to it. So the show came way outta nowhere and I sorta freaked out. I was home alone and couldn't tell my husband until he called me from work on break. Also no family lives closer than 2 hours. I checked online and everything I found said the pink show could come weeks before labor. So this could very well have been nothing. I called my mom and my ob/gyn anyways. It was a Saturday so ofcourse the doctor wasn't in the office, instead on call and difficult to get a hold of. When he finally called back I felt like an idiot because he didn't sound concerned at all. "Your not having contractions and haven't lost your water? Call if things change." Did I mention how monotone he is? So I called my mom because I felt like there was reason to worry. I wasn't planning on this happening yet, it was too early. I hadn't even done the nesting thing or vacuumed! My mom said to keep her updated and that she'd start packing her stuff. She also said that I should try to sleep, cause it could be a long time still. So that's what I did but for only about an hour.

I woke to use the bathroom again (Yeah I totally don't miss having to pee all the time!) to find that I'd lost my mucus plug. Pretty gross. I didn't call the doctor back. I didn't want to be... unnecessarily bothersome. And he didn't say to call if I lost my plug. So instead I called my inlaws. They decided I shouldn't be home alone and that I needed to walk myself into labor. Two hours later we were in the mall walking. Not so comfortable. By three I was having contractions that lasted a minute and were about three minutes apart. I didn't even realize I was having contractions until I was complaining to my father in law that my back ached. He told me feel my belly to see if it was hard like a rock. I was like "These are contractions? they're not that bad!" hahahaaaaa. When I called the doctor again around 5 he asked if the contractions were really bad and I said no. He told me to go into the hospital when they got to be unbearable, to a point that I couldn't walk or talk through them. Or if my water broke. In no time at all I felt uncomfortable enough that we went in. They weren't excruciating but things were moving too quickly and I knew it wasn't right. They had me in triage for a few hours monitoring me and around 8 released me saying my contractions were still too irregular and I was only dialated 3 centimeters. They gave me a sleeping pill and sent me on my way.

At our apartment my family had already arrived planning on getting a hotel instead of driving the two hours back home. By 11 my water had broke... more like gushed and I was bleeding. I didn't know what to think. I invited almost the entire family into the bathroom while I was on the toilet, asking whether the red was bright and whether it was a lot or not. The fact that I was going into labor early and that it was actually HAPPENING didn't really register but I was all nerves. There wasn't a lot of blood but it was red. I went back into the hospital with my contractions getting worse and more frequent. I still hadn't seen my doctor. Finally they gave me something in my IV and I remember being sleepy while my sister massaged my legs and feet. I kept falling to sleep and dreaming of a circus. I could feel the contractions even in my dreams. Before I knew it I was asking for an epidural in the delivery room but it was too late, that the baby was already coming. When I wanted to push they told me to wait because the doctor was delivering at another hospital. I couldn't keep myself from pushing. The baby wanted out and my body wanted him out, NOW. Finally my mom told them that they'd better get any doctor that there was no waiting.

When the doctor on-call came to the room I was already delivering. She reached in and held two of her fingers up covered in blood and said "Something is wrong, you see this? This is bad." and told me to stop pushing when she said to. She told the nurse to get the vacuum for the blood and the nurse said "oh, we won't need it." The doctor looked at her and sternly said to get her the vacuum. I don't sharply remember any of this but my older sister, mom and husband were in the room with me and have given me the grueling details. They told me that as soon as I delivered the baby blood gushed everywhere. That it splashed and soaked my sisters clothing. It seemed to take too long for the baby to cry but then I could hear him. My sister stood over me telling me how perfect he is and how great I'd done... She later told me that she was able to hear the nurses saying something was wrong with the baby, that he'd swallowed a lot of blood. She said that the room started spinning and she felt like she was going to pass out. She left the room and sunk to the floor in the hallway. I never remember her leaving my side. That's when my doctor came into the room, in time to deliver the placenta and stitch me up. Amador Anthony was born July 22nd at 2:32 AM. He was almost in his 37th week. He weighed 6 lbs 14 oz. and was 20 3/4 in. long. He was okay. Jaundiced and full of blood but still okay.

Later that morning I found out that I had had a placenta abrupture. The doctor didn't explain what that meant or what caused it. He said he didn't know for sure he still had to send my placenta in for analyzing. Weeks later I called him about pain in my down under and he confirmed that that had indeed been the case. Back to the morning of the delivery, I asked if we could have known sooner that there were complications and he didn't really say yes or no. I asked if it could happen again in future pregnancies and he didn't really say yes or no. Why are doctors so vague? I don't ever remember his responses because they never are real responses. I'm angry at the hospital for sending me home telling me not to come in until the contractions were paralyzing. I'm angry that the nurses seemed to know NOTHING about anything. I'm angry that they didn't seem to care that I was bleeding. I'm angry that both my baby's and my life were jeopardized and I still don't really know why. I'm not over 35, or a smoker.

All in all it wasn't a great experience, it wasn't what I'd expected to say the least. It was scary and fast but I did it and my baby is healthy. It was a miracle. But I still think I should have been given an explanation. Or at least the nurses could have taught me to put a diaper on my baby.

<div align="center">

Reply With Quote
August 24th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Posts: n/a
Gosh i am soooo sorry that you went through all this!
No one should have to go through something like that!

I had pre-eclampsia and my bp was VERY high. I was told to be addmitted.. When i went up into the maternity ward to be induced, the doc on call sent me home. So I know what thats like!! 2 days later i had an emergency c-section and both me and the baby almost died.

Some doctors can be so vain!
Reply With Quote
August 31st, 2007, 02:05 PM
hockeymomto4boys's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 13,161
Wow, quite the experience!! My placenta tore away with my 3rd DS, it's one of those things that just happens! My Doc told me that I was lucky I didn't hemhorage(sp?) But they couldn't tell me until after delivery that that's what was going on so I don't think your Doc could inform you before you delivered! Oh and it didn't happen with my last! HTH'S!!
Corene, Mommy to 4 beautiful boys Braedyn 14, Bailey 11, Teagan 10 & Tannen 3!

Reply With Quote
October 13th, 2007, 10:01 PM
TrishNicole's Avatar Member
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 20
Send a message via AIM to TrishNicole Send a message via MSN to TrishNicole Send a message via Yahoo to TrishNicole
Ugh why do they just send women home so easily? It makes me mad too. It's so scary and to think they get paid so much money and can be so careless.

I'm glad you two are okay!

I'm sorry you had to go through that too. But I am glad to hear that they didn't inform you either. Especially glad it didn't happen again! That gives me hope <3
<div align="center">

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0