Joshua's Unexpected Delivery

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2007 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 6th, 2007, 05:01 AM
the_elmel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to the_elmel Send a message via Yahoo to the_elmel
Joshua Logan entered this world on August 13th, 2007 at 3:34am. He weighed 3 pounds 14 ounces and was 17 inches long. Here is his birth story:

I began having contractions Monday, August 6th and they continued to Tuesday, August 7th. I thought they were more intense Braxton Hicks and not 'real' contractions. I went to the doctor in the late morning for a 32 weeks checkup and mentioned the contractions. He assumed they were Braxton Hicks as well but decided to check my cervix just to be safe. He discovered I was 1 centimeter dilated and 75% effaced. He immediately sent me next door to Labor & Delivery to be monitored.

The hospital staff had me undress into an ugly gown and checked my cervix. I was 2 centimeters dilated and 85% effaced. The nurses quickly strapped two monitors around my stomach. I was having contractions every 2-3 minutes and they were changing my cervix. I was greatly confused because the contractions did not hurt and just made me slightly uncomfortable. The nurses stuck me multiple times in three different locations before the intravenous tube took. They kept blowing out my veins. Very, very annoying. They began pumping me full of antibiotics, fluids, and Megnesium Sulfate. The nurse gave me a shot of steroids and Phenergen as well. The nurse checked me again and I was 4 centimeters dilated and 85% effaced. She placed a foley catheter in my bladder and said I could not get out of bed. The Magnesium Sulfate drip was miserable and I literally thought I was going to die. My face felt like it was on fire and I kept getting sick everywhere. A couple hours later my contractions lessened and they were no longer changing my cervix.

The following six days consisted of me getting sick everywhere, begging for Phenergen, having a high-grade fever, being poked every 30 minutes, and sleeping as much as possible. My blood pressure was 83/33 most of the time and I could not elevate my bed even the slightest bit without blacking out.

Sunday, August 12th came around and I started having strange abdominal pains. The contraction monitors were not picking up anything so the nurses associated it with bladder spasms. They continued and just got worse. At 3:00am on Monday, August 13th I could not take it anymore. I was screaming in pain and begged the nurse to check me. I ended up being 5 centimeters dilated and 100% effaced. I was in hard active labor and Joshua was coming. The nurses quickly wheeled me into a delivery room and called the doctor. By the time I got into the delivery room I was fully dilated and felt the urge to push. I was screaming in pain from the contractions and it totally didn't help the foley catheter was still in. The nurses finished prepping me for delivery and kept telling me not to push because the doctor wasn't there yet. I kept asking for an epidural but they told me it was too late. I didn't want to believe them. One nurse gave me a big hug and told me it would all be over soon and I just needed to be strong.

My Mom called John and told him to get there as soon as possible. He must have driven over a 100 miles an hour because a few minutes later he was there. He walked into the delivery room and I immediately sent him back out. I told him he had to wait until I was ready to push to come back in. Finally the doctor arrived and everyone came running back in. The doctor told me I needed to push with my next contraction. The first six pushes were done wrong because I forgot you were supposed to push down with your bottom and not like you were trying to pee. It was also difficult because this one nurse was trying to have me hold my own leg and I kept pulling away. She wouldn't stop so I kneed her in the face. She ended up leaving the delivery room because I think I made her lip bleed. OOPS! Another 6 pushes done the 'right' way Joshua was out. It was not painful pushing him out, it was the contractions that stunk. I tore minimally which is surprising because Joshua came out with his hand above his head.

In the meantime -- John, my Fiance, passed out. All the nurses and even the doctor went "UH OH" when he turned green and went down. Joshua came out so fast that John just couldn't handle it. I don't think my screaming helped him either.

I am never doing this again.

</div>
September 6th, 2007, 12:42 PM
.Shelly.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to .Shelly.
Oh dear. What a birth story! I feel for you!

But, I know it's all worth it now to have little Joshua!

Poor John. I bet that was overwhelming!

September 6th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Super Mommy
that mag sulphate really does make you feel like crap, eh? I am glad that I got to read your birth story.
September 9th, 2007, 10:20 AM
hettyhoo's Avatar Mom to Ty & Grae
Thanks for sharing your birth story Lauren

I couldn't help but laugh at the nurse and John

September 10th, 2007, 12:07 PM
MommaScandalous's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
oh my goodness, my back had this weird sympathetic ache while i read this. i didn't know guys really passed out...it just seems like a little rumor or possibility.

really? no more lauren?! are you sure?!!!!!!!!!! this pregnancy has left me so uncomfortable but i want more. i don't know what's wrong with me!

September 21st, 2007, 01:55 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Thanks for sharing your birth story Lauren

I couldn't help but laugh at the nurse and John [/b]

</div>
September 28th, 2007, 03:32 PM
sarahp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, I only just read your birth story - I can't believe John passed out!!!

Sorry to hear it was so horrible! How are you feeling about it now? Have you "forgotten" the pain or do you still think you never want to go through it ever again?

October 2nd, 2007, 06:39 PM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't checked here in a long time apparently because I haven't seen this yet!

That was intense. It really was. Joshua is most definitely worth it all though!!!

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (13.75), Ryllan (11.5), Finn (7.5), and Zane (4).

October 8th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am lacking on my birth story reading. How intense! You did great! Poor DH! I would have kneed that nurse too! GO LAUREN!

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search