Log In Sign Up

Grady Luke's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2007 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2007, 02:09 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 11,299
I was induced at 6:00 am on Sept. 25th. When I arrived at the hospital they sent me to my room and had me put my gown on. My DH and sister were with me and it was still dark outside. I was incredibly nervous and I only had like 3 hours of sleep. I knew this day was going to be long, but I was so thankful that I had made it to this point very healthy and without any problems.

6:20--Nurses came in and hooked me to monitors and put the IV in....ouch....it was on the side of my wrist and it was painful.

6:30ish--They bring in the Pitocin. I asked how long it took to kick in and she says, "about a minute or two" OMG!! I get scared cause the pain is about to start!

6:45ish- My dr. comes in and tells me that he is going to break my water. I felt like everything was moving too fast. I just got here and now I am going to be stuck in this bed. I started worrying about all the things that could go wrong. He got the "crochet needle" out and broke my water. It was clear..thank goodness. It felt pretty gross. Just sittting there leaking on my bed....yuck! LOL!

7:00--Contractions are going good. Not too bad. My friends and dad arrived and we were all laughing and talking.

8-10--Very uneventful. The only problem was them trying to put the internal fetel monitor in. I have NEVER felt anything like that. It was painful and I cried for a good 10 minutes after they were done. I was at 4 1/2 centimeters and so I asked for my epidural. I was tired of hurting and wanted to sleep. My OB dr gives the epidurals so I was happy. They kicked Gary out of the room and I was upset and nervous. I felt a strong need to be close to him all during my labor. Doc comes in give the epidural and all of the sudden I am in HEAVEN! All is well and I am ready to do this. It wasn't bad at all. Just a prick and it was over.

During the rest of the time I am visited by only close friends and family. I did get some sleep and all the while they are coming in and checking me. I am progressing and things are going good. Then around 1:45. The nurse comes in and checks. She says that I only have a tiny amount of cervix left and that she wants me to do some "practice pushes" to see what happens. I told her that I couldn't feel a thing and that she was going to have to help me by telling me if I was pushing right. I did about 2-3 counts of 10 and she says "Hold up" don't push anymore!! I need to get the dr. cause you are about to have this baby! WHAT!! OMG! It was so awesome. They broke the bed down and put my legs in the stirrups. The dr. comes in and literally throws his gown and gloves on, and they crank my bed way up in the air. I was so high that Gary was standing flat footed and our heads were at the same level. He is 5'11! The room was buzzing!

I start doing my pushing and it was honestly easy! They said I was a good pusher....whatever! I didn't feel anything. They could have chopped my leg off and handed to me and I wouldn't have known. We were laughing and making jokes and the dr. tells me to stop or I am going to laugh the baby out. That is crazy! I pushed a few more times and out he came!

2:55 pm
7 lbs 12 oz
20 3/4 inches
headful of brown hair
Screaming very loud.

I was on cloud nine. Gary and I were laughing and crying at the same time. They cleaned him up and Gary brought him over. I waited until the dr. got me ready to hold him. I was so nervous to come face to face with him. I don't know why! Of course as soon as I looked at him it was over. I completely fell in love. He is so perfect and cute and I was so relieved he was here!

Gary and I had our little moment alone together. He gave me a charm for my braclet with a little boy on it. He just stood there and rubbed my hair and kissed me and the baby. I tried nursing a little. Grady latched on and started sucking....I was amazed. He didn't do it but for a minute, but he was eager and strong so I that made me feel good. It was magical...seriously!

The family poured in and they all were stunned with how quick everything happened. I got all ready and they sent me to my room. I felt great...just a little wobbly! Gary went and videoed them giving him a bath and the nurses got me all ready for bed. I was so anxious to see him.

That night was kinda rough. I felt ok, but I had not urinated since I had him. They put a cath in to drain me and said if I couldn't go on my own in a few hours then they were going to have to put a foley catheter in. I was just so swollen and still numb and I COULD NOT go! So at 4 am they had to cath me. It was awful. I was getting all my feeling back and it was really painful. Gary was a little traumatized seeing me in pain like that. It was worse than the birth. I felt pretty crappy the next day with that cath in. It sucked. But that night I got it out and was able to go on my own. YEA!

I had a few more minor issues with his nursing in the hospital. My nipples were so sore and I kept having to take him off and put him back on to get a good latch. We both struggled a little. The lactation consultant really helped though. I saw her twice!

Since I have been home Grady and I have done really well. I am tired and I am still sore...8 days later. But I am so incredibly happy that I feel high! I don't know how else to describe it. I love him so much and Gary and I are like new people. We were in love before but now it is different! He acts like he is in awe of me. He said I was his hero...I cry everytime I think about it. So life is so good right now. I can't wait to do it all over again! Well, maybe I can wait a little while...lol!


Reply With Quote
October 3rd, 2007, 02:21 PM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 35,717
You sound sooooo happy! What a great birth story!!!!

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (13.75), Ryllan (11.5), Finn (7.5), and Zane (4).

Reply With Quote
October 3rd, 2007, 03:06 PM
hettyhoo's Avatar Mom to Ty & Grae
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 14,691
I am so happy that you had such an amazing birth experience.. Thanks for sharing it..It made me teary eyed

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0