Log In Sign Up

Kaleb's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected]ustmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2007 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 24th, 2007, 04:36 AM
StacyRI's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 771
Well as you all may already know, 2 weeks ago I went to L&D with contraction at 2-3 min's apart for about 6 hours and they sent me home because I was only 3-4 cm dialated after giving me a shot of turbutaline to stop the contractions. The contractions subsided for the most part for the next couple of days, but then started back up again by day 3 but nothing regular and I could still walk and talk during them so there was really no need to rush to L&D only to be sent home again.

This continued over the course of the next 2 weeks just about. Contracting on and off throughout the day, some really painful, some kind of mild, some every 2 minutes, some every 5 minutes, etc. etc. etc. BLAH!

On Friday, October 19th, I woke up at my usual 3 a.m. due to being severely uncomfortable in bed and being tired of having to get up every 20 minutes to pee. I began to clean the house, do laundry, iron all DF's clothes, etc. Felt like just another typical day...getting stuff done while paying attention to the ever familiar contractions at the same time, wondering when I'll get that DOOZY of a contraction that sends me into another world and I can finally go to L&D and have my baby!!!

10 a.m. ~ the contractions started getting regular (AGAIN), so I started timing them. 8-10 minutes apart for about an hour, but I could still walk and talk during them, so still can't go to L&D.

11 a.m. ~ Contractions coming about 5-8 minutes apart now and starting to get longer and stronger. I'm thinking this could be it!! (But then again, I thought it could be it 2 weeks ago, so I'm not getting my hopes up and continued going about my morning trying to ignore them but still timing just for the heck of it). I decide to do a load of dishes in the dishwasher and cook some sausage and peppers to make sandwiches for DF and I for lunch.

12 p.m. ~ Okay, these darn contractions are now a steady 5 minutes apart, lasting for a minutes (sometimes longer) and some are so severe I have to literally stop what I'm doing and breath through them.

12 p.m. - 2 p.m. ~ Eat my sausage sandwich, call DF, call mom...think this might be it! Contractions are SUPER STRONG AND PAINFUL and they've been continuous at 5 minutes apart for 2 hours. I start to straighten the house, put laundry away, and clean the kitchen...all the while having to stop and breath through each contraction...I don't think I'll be home for a few days after this!!

2:30 p.m. ~ DF arrives home, we pack up and head to L&D.

3:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. ~ Put onto a monitor in Triage. Contracting still at about 5 minutes apart...still long and painful...STILL only 3-4 cm dialated . They inform me:

1. Because I will not be 39 weeks until MONDAY, and due to liability reasons, they CAN NOT induce my labor.

2. Because I am 38 weeks and 4 days, they WILL NOT stop my labor.

3. Because I am not 4 or more centimeters dialated, they CAN NOT admit me.

4. Leave and go have dinner, walk...walk...walk...walk....come back in a couple of hours to recheck my cervix.

5:30 p.m. ~ Leave the hospital, pick up chinese food take-out, go to DF's grandmother's house to eat and wait it out. Contractions are super strong and painful, to the point where I can barely breath through them anymore. Every bump in the car sends me into outer space if I'm having a contraction. I'm literally off the seat in pain! Still was able to eat (NOTHING seems to interfere with my appetite, that's for sure)!

7:30 p.m. ~ Back at hospital. Still 3-4 cm dialated. Contractions now at 3-5 minutes apart. My body HURTS, I feel like I've been hit by a truck. I start to panic that I'm going to wear myself out to the point that if I do dialate and have to push, I'll having nothing left in me for strength.

7:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. ~ Back on the monitors. Still no cervical changes.....still contracting. At this point I'm super frustrated, crying my eyes out feeling like a failure. Thinking, "I can't even have a baby right!!!!"

9:30 p.m. ~ Doctor comes in and tells me they are going to admit me for "Theraputic Rest" and hopefully over the course of the night I will start to dialate. "Theraputic Rest" consists of an IV with morphine every 6 hours to "take the edge off." I was panic stricken that it would harm the baby but they assured me he'd be fine and that his heart rate and activity would be monitored the entire time I was under the morphine.

10:00 p.m. ~ Finally admitted and brought to a nice quiet room (big difference compared to the hustle and bustle of the Triage department and beds separated by mere curtains.

11:00 p.m. ~ IV and morphine started. Can still feel contractions but they aren't as painful thanks to the morphine. Baby is doing fine. I try to sleep but because I can still feel the pressure of the contractions it was really hard.

4:00 a.m. ~ Second dose of morphine. Use the bathroom...lost my mucous plus...COMPLETELY all in one shot. It was REALLY gross. Doctor comes in to check me...no cervical changes...still at 3-4 cm dialated .

8:00 a.m. ~ Waiting for doctor to come in and talk to me about what we are going to do. Use bathroom again. Bloody show. TOTALLY GROSS and a LOT of it. Show it to nurse, she says labor is iminent and usually within 24 hours after seeing that. I tell her I'm already in LABOR and have been for the last 24 hours!! Doc comes in, no cervical changes...GRRRRRRR. She tells me that they are either going to send me home or send me to L&D to induce with pitocin, but most likely they will just send me home. I was like "AND WHEN DO I KNOW TO COME BACK??? WHEN I SEE A HEAD POP OUT BETWEEN MY LEGS?!?!?!?!?!" Once I said that she thought about it and agreed that they'd just send me to L&D to get this show on the road, as I've been contracting long and hard enough and she wasn't sure how much more my body could handle. L&D is busy, so when a room becomes available, it's all mine....probably somewhere around 3 p.m.

1:00 p.m. ~ Start packing up and getting ready to go to L&D. Take a shower, etc. etc. etc.

3:00 p.m. ~ Arrive in L&D and they start my Epidural, cervix still at 3-4 cm.

3:30 p.m. ~ Pitocin started.

5:45 p.m. ~ Cervix check...9 CENTIMETERS!!!! FINALLY!!!!!!!! Just got to get that last centimeter out of the way!! I start BALLING MY EYES OUT ~ HAPPY TEARS THOUGH. DF starts crying also!

6:30 p.m. ~ 10 centimeter and I'm starting to feel the pressure to push.

7:00 p.m. ~ IT'S TIME TO PUSH!

7:34 p.m. ~ Kaleb is born! 7 pounds, 19.25 inches, perfectly healthy APGAR score of 9/9 (point lost due to his coloring)

BTW, I tore in 3 places (like the shape of a "Y") and needed 9 stitches...but it was WELL WORTH EACH STITCH!!!

<div align="center">

</div><div align="center">................................... .............................................</div><div align="center">Pregnancy Over 35 Board[/b][/url]</div>
Reply With Quote
October 24th, 2007, 05:38 AM
the_mama.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Midwest
Posts: 8,597
sounds crazy!!! he is beautiful. so glad they finally induced you!! didn't take long after that! congrats.

Thank you BAM for creating such a beautiful siggy!
Reply With Quote
October 24th, 2007, 06:08 AM
StacyRI's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 771
I know...I kept telling them that if they just give me a little pitocin I'd dialate quick. The same thing happened with my son at 37 weeks, but they induced me right away because I was in labor for 14 hours and again stuck at 4 cm. This time they said they changed their policy and wouldn't induce until 39 weeks gestation but seeing as how I was laboring for so long they thought it would be medically "necessary" after I spent Friday night and they could see that I actually was having strong contractions for hours on end.

I'm just SO GLAD it is finally over.
<div align="center">

</div><div align="center">................................... .............................................</div><div align="center">Pregnancy Over 35 Board[/b][/url]</div>
Reply With Quote
October 24th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 7,904
yikes wha an ordeal!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0