Log In Sign Up

Zane's birth

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2007 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 3rd, 2007, 10:20 AM
Beaker's Avatar My boys are adorable
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,695
We were hoping for a natural birth but this baby did not want to come out! The doctor was surprised that I had not labored on my own because I was dilated to 3 cm and was quite effaced. We discovered on Oct. 19 that he was rather big...estimated 8.5 lbs. so we reluctantly agreed to an induced labor. If my frame was any larger, we would have waited. On Oct. 22 we arrived at the hospital at 7am. My doctor understood that we wanted a "hands off" approach and started Pitocin at a 2 and broke my water in hopes that labor would then start and progress naturally since I had a "favorable cervix for birth".

Pitocin does not work for me.

They kept turning it up and I would have a few contractions but then they would stop. Sometimes they intensified but they always slacked off. Every time they turned up the Pitocin this happened. We tried literally ALL day long to get a regular contraction pattern and we were never successful.

They explained that the Pitocin was only put up to 30 if there was no epidural or pain meds used. But that they would go to 40 with the use of an epidural. We knew going in that induced labor was quite different than natural labor and even discussed the possibility of having an epidural (although this is not what we wanted). We watched the required video for the epidural in case I changed my mind.

After 8 hours of little progress (I was dilated to 5 cm by this time) and the Pitocin sitting at 28, I decided to have the epidural so they could turn up the Pitocin and hopefully get things going. Well, I did manage to dilate quickly after the epidural but the contractions still weren't very regular. Before I knew it, it was time to push.

Unfortunately, the epidural worked a little too well. I could not feel a thing. No pain, no contractions, no pressure. Nothing.
They put my legs in stirrups and we tried to push. They brought out a mirror so I could see when a push was good and try to hold it. It was really frustrating not being able to feel anything. DH, me and a nurse had to feel my belly to notice contractions because they weren't showing on the monitor and I couldn't feel them. Looking back, I should have asked them to turn off the epidural. I think I would have been able to feel something at some point.

After over 2 hours of pushing the doctor wanted to know how we felt about forceps and vacuums. DH has nasty scars on his face from forceps so we said only the vacuum would be acceptable. The nurses said that this Doctor was a wiz with the vacuum. We pushed on 4 contractions with the DR. using the vacuum. After the last contraction he said "ok, everyone stop". My heart sank. I knew what was coming. He said the baby's head was stuck on my pelvic bone and the vacuum hadn't moved him at all. We had to do a c-section.

I immediately started to cry. I wanted to have all my babies the way nature intended. I knew once I had one c-section, the chances of vaginal birth in the future were slim. I was so upset and disappointed. DH cried with me. And then we were quickly whisked off to the OR. I had read a book on c-section in case we had to have one and I am very glad I did. I knew what to expect. I was so exhausted by the time we got to surgery that I was nodding off during the operation. Finally he arrived at 9:33 pm. Hearing that first little cry was most unreal thing I have ever experienced. Words cannot describe how it felt. He was quickly cleaned and they laid him on my chest with DH holding him there. He stuck his tongue out at us. He nursed like a pro right after we got to the recovery room.
We are so glad we got that epidural because if not I would have had general anth. and DH would not have been present for the birth. Overall it was a very long day and while things didn't go as planned or hoped for, I am pleased that we are all happy and healthy.

I still can't believe that little guy was inside me. We are smitten!

Earn giftcards and more with Swagbucks!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0