Log In Sign Up

Ryan's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2007 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 12th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,064
For three weeks I had been having pretty intense braxton hicks contractions, which my OB described as being in prodromal labor, which can last anywhere from days to weeks. I was so disappointed, because these contractions were so intense at times. If they were going to be so strong, I wanted them to be doing something. A week before Ryan was born, the doctor checked me and I was 2 cm dialated, and 90% effaced. But I had now developed high blood pressure, so he put me on complete bedrest until Ryan was born. Bedrest was TERRIBLE!

Because of my high BP, the doctor was having me go into the hospital twice a week for NST's, and weekly ultrasounds. On June 23rd, a Friday, I had a scheduled ultrasound and NST that day. I commented to DH that I was concerned because I really hadn't felt the baby move much. We had the ultrasound first, and I told the US Tech the same thing. She looked and she said that he looked good, but he was pretty quiet, and she said that she would normally suggest a NST, but I was having one next anyway. So upstairs I went to L&D for the NST. Even there, he was very quiet, and the nurse faxed the strip to the doctor. While we were waiting on hearing back from the doctor, she asked me the symptoms that I have been having lately, and she said that I would probably have the baby soon. Her exact words were "Maybe not today, or tomorrow, but definitely soon." The doctor ended up saying I was ok, and we could go home. That was at 3:30 pm.

That night, I decided to cheat a little on my bedrest, and go out to dinner with DH and his family who was visiting from Washington State. I figured I would be sitting down and quiet, so I should be fine. So, that night I ate more than I ever had while being pregnant. I couldn't believe how much I was able to eat! It was amazing. Well, we ended up leaving at 11pm (we closed the restaurant, heehee) and headed home.

DH took the dogs outside and we both got into bed, we were SO tired! That was at about midnight. I was used to having braxton hicks contractions, so I was having one, and all of a sudden I felt a pop! I sat up boltright in bed and said "OMG I think my water just broke!" But I wasn't entirely sure if my water had broken, or if I was peeing myself. DH told me to go to the bathroom, so I ran down the hall and into the bathroom and I sat on the toilet and water was coming out of me for like 5 minutes straight. I was still not sure if it was my water or if I was just peeing forever. I never really thought my water would break. I was so confused as to what to do.

DH finally asked me if I was done, and I wasn't sure. I stood up and there was all of this offwhiteish fluid in the toilet and my underwear were soaked. I said, umm, I think we are having a baby soon. Of course, our phone had literally died the day before, so DH had to run across the street to Wal-Greens and call the hospital on the pay phone. Meanwhile, I realized that I never had packed myself a bag! So, I was in our room, just throwing things into a bag! He came back and they told us to head there, so we did.

At the hospital, they tested me to make sure that it was indeed my water that broke, and when she went to take the test, a huge gush of more came out. She was like, yeah, I probably don't need to take this, but I will anyway. By the time all the testing and blood work was done, it was 2 am. Still no contractions, so the nurse suggested I try to get some sleep. I was so exhausted luckily, that I was able to get a few hours of sleep before some one else came in and needed something.

My contractions started at 7 am, and DH and I went walking the hallway. It was pretty nice, I had some good control, and I was pretty excited because I really wanted to do it naturally. By 8 I decided that I wanted to try to get a shower in, and then my contractions started getting really intense. They were 3 minutes apart, but it felt a lot closer. After my shower, I went and layed down in bed because they wanted to monitor me for a while. DH called my mom, and his mom and they headed to us.

By the time my mom got to the hospital at 9:30, my contractions were right on top of each other and I was having a really really hard time dealing with the pain. I just felt like I wasn't getting any time to recover from one and another would start. I started moaning, because it was all I could think of to do, and I really started going into a place, kind of like zoning almost. It was the worst pain I had ever been in. I wondered if it was because my water had broken, or if this was the way it would be regardless. DH's mom and sister showed up at 9:45 and they tell me that I was ashen in color, and my MIL said when she saw me that I was going to have a hard labor.

At that point, I begged the nurse to check me. She did and said I was 4 cms, and I caved and told her I needed an epidural. I really was disappointed, but I couldn't take the pain any more. I felt like I was going to go crazy. I was still moaning and gripping onto everything I could, and I knew I had to relax, but I was in so much pain, it was all I could think about. Of course it was a Saturday and the anestesiologist was on call, so we had to wait for her to drive to the hospital.

When she did show up, my mom stayed with me, because DH hated seeing a needle into my back. They put monitors on me to make sure I would tolerate the procedure ok, and I was so so so nervous. At one point, my heart rate went up to 135 bpm, and an alarm going off. They started asking me if I was ok, and I said, yes, but I was nervous. Once the procedure was done, I felt SO good. I was disappointed because I had caved in and gotten it done, BUT I was so relieved, I just kept saying that it was the best decision I had ever made.

I was so relaxed after that, that I was able to take a nap. I was progressing well, and everyone kept saying that I would have him on the 23rd, without a doubt. By 7 pm, I was fully dialated and started to push. I was pushing really well, and they were impressed considering that I had never done it before. Now, fast forward to 9 pm, and I was STILL pushing. They had expected him to be born by now, so the doctor came in and said things are still good, so we kept going. The doctor went and laid down to sleep because he had been oncall since Friday. By 11pm, my nurse decided to go get another nurse (the nurse who would be taking care of Ryan when he was born) to see if there was anything else she could do. She had me push more and more, like I hadn't been doing it already! Grrr, that really frustrated me. At this point I was beyond exhausted that I swear I was sleeping inbetween contractions and pushing. Sleeping, with dreams and everything. It was so strange, like I had all of this power to push, and then when it was over, I would sleep in between. So strange.

So finally the nurses decided to call the doctor in, and check me out. When he did, he felt Ryan's head and said that it was turned to side, which is why he was stuck. He turned his head so it was in the right position, and a half an hour later, Ryan was born at 12:33 am on June 24th! Man, did I wish he had come in sooner to fix his head! Ryan was so great! His APGAR was 8/9, and he was absolutely perfect! I only had a tiny tear that needed one stitch which they were surprised considering I had pushed for 5.5 hours. Such a beautiful little boy! I am so proud!

Ryan Patrick
June 24th 12:33 am
7 lbs, 12 oz

Reply With Quote
November 16th, 2007, 02:00 PM
hockeymomto4boys's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 13,161
Wow, great birth story!! You did AWESOME!! Thanks for sharing!!
Corene, Mommy to 4 beautiful boys Braedyn 14, Bailey 11, Teagan 10 & Tannen 3!

Reply With Quote
December 6th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Posts: n/a
What a birth! Wow! Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0