My shopping/registry list. Input? (x-posted)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying To Conceive Your First Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 16th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Cheryl_W's Avatar Izzy's Mom!
Send a message via MSN to Cheryl_W
Okay, so a lot of this stuff is either A) complete overkill, B) more a want than a need, or C) specific to our situation (like a new lightbulb for our aquarium, which is going in the nursery, or baby gates this early because OMG we have a lot of stairs and don't want to be caught without one...)

BUT

I have made up a list of all the things we want to buy now/register for, and all of the things we'll buy later if/when we need them. I know it is a long, long list but could the BTDT mommies give it a look through and let me know if I'm missing anything, or if anything seems like total overkill? Thanks girls!!

(Oh, and some of this stuff we already have, I just couldn't find a checkmark graphic in Word... LOL!)

The List:

Buy Now

 Infant car seat
 Stroller
 Car seat base
 Fleece bunting/rain cover for car seat
 Headrest for car seat
 Pack-n-Play
 Sling or wrap
 Diaper bag
 Swaddling blankets
 Pacifiers
 A few high-contrast infant books, toys & rattles
 Coming Home outfit
 Onesies & footed sleepers
 Socks & hats
 Bottles
 Plain pre-fold cloth diapers for burp rags
 Bibs
 Breast pads
 Nipple cream ointment
 Nursing pillow
 Breast milk storage containers
 Bottle brush
 Nursing wrap/cover
 Baby bathtub
 Towels and washcloths
 Gentle tear-free shampoo and body wash
 Baby grooming kit
 Ear and rectal thermometers
 Nasal aspirator
 Humidifier/ vaporizer
 Petroleum jelly (UNSCENTED), baby oil, lotion, cotton balls and swabs.
 Baby sunscreen
 Teething rings (BPA free) and teething pain relief options
 Diapers & Wipes
 Diaper rash cream
 Dye- and fragrance-free laundry detergent
 First Aid kit
 Infant medications, like Mylicon drops, gripe water and Infant Tylenol
 Baby monitor
 Baby gates
 Crib
 Crib bedding
 Fitted crib sheets
 Crib mattress
 Diaper pail
 Recliner slipcover
 New fish & plants for aquarium (and heater and light bulb…)
 Curtains & blinds
 Nursery paint
 Receiving blankets
 Laundry hamper
 Mobile
 Night-light

Buy Later

 Floor gym
 Lightweight stroller
 Bouncy Seat
 Baby Swing
 Exersaucer/stationary entertainment/containment
 Crib aquarium or musical toy
 Convertible car seat/booster
 Real "clothes"
 Snowsuit
 More bottles -- 8 ounce-capacity with higher-flow nipples
 Booster seat
 Splat mat
 Plates, utensils, sippy cups
 Steamer basket for homemade baby food
 Small blender or food processor
 Ice cube trays for storing homemade food
 Any type of baby-proofing product
 Bath toys
 Potty seats and stepstools

Big huge hugz and thanks to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy!

- and -
March 16th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Oreobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Oreobaby
how do I print this list?? It seems like a good list for me...DH and I are supposed to be registering this weekend.

March 16th, 2010, 06:41 PM
LOL Marci - if you PM me your email I can send you the word document, then you can edit out the fish tank stuff (unless you need it? IDK lol) and add anything of your own, like the changing table & pad, etc.

- and -
March 16th, 2010, 06:54 PM
~April04~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~April04~ Send a message via MSN to ~April04~
Looks good.

I would get at least the swing and/or bouncy seat right away though. They've both been total lifesavers for getting to shower and get anything done. I think the floor gym mat is good to have right away too since it's nice for tummy time - I know Savannah likes all the colors and I like not putting her directly on the carpet (have dogs - lots of fur everywhere lol).

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggie!

March 16th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Well we already have a swing (thanks to my sister!), but that is a good point about the play mat... Maybe I'll register for that one, and if we don't get it, we can get it later and use blankets for tummy time for now

Thanks!

- and -
March 16th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I ditto April on the mat. If you don't get one, you can always use your nursing pillow (if you're getting one, can't remember if it was on the list lol, if it's not, add it ) for tummy time.

I also want to point something out as far as car seat safety goes. Unless you are very outdoorsy people and plan on playing outside or going for walks during the winter, you won't need a snowsuit for the baby. It's unsafe to strap your baby in a car seat while wearing a puffy and/or thick snowsuit. Fleece is a very good option for when it's cold out. It's thin enough not to interfere with the harness and keeps babies/kids warm. There are one piece fleece suits out there for babies so you can definitely look into that. You can also keep extra blankets in the car for the baby (to go over the harness, not between seat & baby or baby & harness) and I saw you have a car seat cover on your list so please be sure it's one that's a shower cap style and not one that goes between the baby and the seat (like the bundle me, those are not recommended because they add bulk between baby & seat). That way, she'll safely be warm in the cold months.

Other than that, your list looks good.

March 16th, 2010, 07:18 PM
The car seat cover goes over the hole thing like a shower cap, with a hole for baby's face, so that should be safe.

And the snow suit is less for going somewhere with baby than for going outdoors with baby (we are the outdoorsy type! ) - we have a fleece suit for car travel already that should be just about the right size for our LO when winter comes, it was another hand-me-down. That fleece suit along with the blankets and cover (if we need it) should be more than enough to keep baby warm

I read all that stuff on the car seat safety board, too - so much you never think of! Thanks for posting that though, you're right snow suits are a definite safety issue in car seats!

- and -
March 16th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I thought I recognized your screen name but I wasn't sure if it was just from lurking here. Glad you're reading up on the CSS. I don't think it's something most people think twice about.

March 16th, 2010, 07:56 PM
It definitely isn't, I had to remind my sister about it when she tried to put her LO in his car seat with a puffy jacket on... Its easy to just assume they're safe no matter what, funny to think that there is so much you have to consider aside from just the seat!

And we're taking ours down to the fire dept. before baby is born to make sure we know how to put it in properly, too!

- and -
March 16th, 2010, 10:23 PM
karenwalter's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with April about the bouncy seat and play mat too. We use the bouncy seat a;; the time. I can carry it around the house and have Connor in the room I'm working in. We use it when I cook alot and also when I take a shower.

The playmat is already holding his attention now and he's still not 8 weeks yet so I think you might want it now too.

Also, I didn't see (maybe I missed it?) a mobile on your list. Connor loves watching his when I set him in his crib while I clean up his room or fold laundry, etc.

And baby sunscreen can probably wait a little while. It's not recommended for use on babies under 6 months old, so you probably have a while. But, you might want some type of sun hat to help shade their face in the mean time.

. Thanks .hOOdihoo.this. for another beautiful siggy!

March 17th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Thanks Karen! I think I might be adding the play mat to the list after all, even if we don't get one on the registry If you're all raving about it, I can't say no!

A mobile is on the list, but I didn't know that about the sunscreen... I saw it on a baby purchase list somewhere, and thought since this is an August baby it is probably high on the priority list for when we bring baby outdoors - are all of them 6 months+? Now I'm curious, I was hoping that would provide extra sun protection for baby during the summer heat!

You're all so helpful... I don't know what I'd do without you girls!

ETA: Okay, I looked up the sunscreen thing since you had me SO curious Karen, and I found this - Baby Sunscreen

Basically it says that they USED to say no sunscreen under 6 months, but that was back when they recommended sunscreen for babies over 6 months. Now they say keep baby out of the sun, and use sunscreen ONLY if you can't keep baby completely out of the sun and ONLY on isolated areas like the face (keeping it out of the eyes) etc. I guess they figure that a little bit of sunscreen isn't as bad as the possible sun exposure, if you have no other option...

I also found a lot of mommies saying that they prefer to use zinc sunscreens, since they have way fewer chemicals and aren't actually absorbed into the skin. I like this idea a lot better, since I know zinc cream has been safely used on bums for years

So basically, thanks to you Karen and a little bit of quick Googling, I MAY pick up a small bottle of zinc based sunscreen, to use if we have NO way of keeping baby completely in the shade - but otherwise, I won't be using it. But worst case scenario, daddy can use it to reduce his farmer's tan this year LOL so it really wouldn't go to waste either way.

Thank you SO much for bringing that to my attention, I had no idea about the 6 months thing at all and probably would have just blindly used it, without even thinking. You're a lifesaver!

- and -

Last edited by Cheryl_W; March 17th, 2010 at 01:43 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search