Talking on cell phones while driving...

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Do you do it?
Why/why not?

April 26th, 2008, 07:59 PM
irishxrose
I do, but not often. I never answer during rush hour traffic, that's just asking for trouble.
April 26th, 2008, 08:53 PM
SugarNSpice's Avatar VBAC Mommy!!!
Guilty.
Why do I do it? I don't know. I just do. *shrug* I still pay attention to my driving too.

April 27th, 2008, 08:00 AM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have done it in the past. Usually I'm without the phone in the car, though, so it's not much of an issue.

April 27th, 2008, 08:25 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nope, and it's one of my huge pet peeves. I can usually tell if I'm behind a car with someone talking on a cell, their driving is just not safe. You are powering a death machine, your attention should not be elsewhere. If you need to talk that badly, pull over.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
April 27th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Just Nana's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wont say I havent done it but I try really hard not to. Driving takes too much focus to be distracted by a stupid phone. If mine rings for someone that I know like my daughter or Dh I will usually pull over and call back to make sure its not an emergancy. There have been times when I was on the phone and was distracted and then went what the heck was I thinking and got off the phone.

April 27th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Little Mrs Sunshine
i dont because i dont drive lol. but my husband does - i know cuz he takes my phone calls. he doesn't answer if its going to affect his driving, he waits till he is parked and calls me back. when he does answer we keep it short. some people don't drive any worse when on their phones but some people do. i don't like when people drive carelessly. when someone is driving bad down here its usually because they are old but ive seen a few peopel who are either terrible drivers or terrible because they are talking on their cell phone and i want to yell get off your d**m phone! but thats not to say it would make their driving any better lol
April 27th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I do occasionally. Honestly, it has no affect on my driving at all. I see it as no different than talking to someone IN the vehicle with me. Now, that's not to say I DIAL the phone in traffic or that I DIG in my purse if it's ringing....but I will dial at a stop sign or light and talk.

When DH and I lived 3 hours apart, I used that drive time to catch up with friends I didn't have time to talk to during the week.

ALso, around here, you see COPS on cell phones (while driving) constantly.

April 27th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I also talk on my cell while driving, but 99% of the time I use a handsfree headset.

April 27th, 2008, 05:13 PM
soninole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am guilty of talking on my cell phone also. I try not to do it too much. But I really don't think that it is much worse than talking to someone that is in the car, if you have a handsfree device.

April 27th, 2008, 08:27 PM
paganmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do you do it?
-Yep, I do it.

Why/why not?
-It's a great time for me to talk to people without any other distractions. I don't have cats in my lap or my husband or child needing something from me when I'm driving. Driving doesn't take that much concentration and I am very good at multi-tasking. As someone earlier mentioned, it's really no different than talking to a person who is already in the car with you. I don't text while driving though. That's just insane, as it takes your eyes off the road. Talking on the phone though doesn't make your eyes leave the road.

</div>
April 27th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Just Nana's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I feel if you must talk on the phone while in the car at least use a hands free phone. I wish some one with more computer smarts than I have could pull some research as to how much more distractive it is to drive while talking on the phone vrs another person on the car vrs. eating drinking etc. I am glad you feel it does not affect your ability and that you can multi task I just think its not the smartest move. What in the world did we do before they were invented oh I remember we used the one at home. I am not saying I have never done because I have but never on a continuous basis.

April 28th, 2008, 03:12 AM
LorieB's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Do you do it?
-Yep, I do it.

Why/why not?
-It's a great time for me to talk to people without any other distractions. I don't have cats in my lap or my husband or child needing something from me when I'm driving. Driving doesn't take that much concentration and I am very good at multi-tasking. As someone earlier mentioned, it's really no different than talking to a person who is already in the car with you. I don't text while driving though. That's just insane, as it takes your eyes off the road. Talking on the phone though doesn't make your eyes leave the road.[/b]
I'm sorry but I think driving takes more concentration than having cats in your lap.

April 28th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Do you do it?
-Yep, I do it.

Why/why not?
-It's a great time for me to talk to people without any other distractions. I don't have cats in my lap or my husband or child needing something from me when I'm driving. Driving doesn't take that much concentration and I am very good at multi-tasking. As someone earlier mentioned, it's really no different than talking to a person who is already in the car with you. I don't text while driving though. That's just insane, as it takes your eyes off the road. Talking on the phone though doesn't make your eyes leave the road.[/b]
I'm sorry but I think driving takes more concentration than having cats in your lap.
[/b]
I think that depends on your cat.

April 28th, 2008, 06:49 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^^

Guilty! Usually I do it to answer a call from a friend I've been playing phone tag with, or give my dh or mom a message, and then we might talk for a bit.

I think dialing or texting while driving is extremely dangerous.

April 28th, 2008, 08:19 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For all you who think you drive no differently while on the phone, you might be surprised. Unless you've been stuck behind yourself, you really have no idea. I have yet to see someone talking on a cell phone while driving that I couldn't tell from being behind them that they were distracted.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
April 28th, 2008, 09:41 AM
If I do not use a hands free device, I notice I drive differently, and I would never txt or dial while driving, but to me, talking on a headset really isn't much different than being distracted by talking to a friend in the front seat (or talking to my kids in the backseat, for that matter).

April 28th, 2008, 09:46 AM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
I did before they outlawed it here.

I've never had a problem driving while on my phone, I tuck it between my ear and shoulder and off I go. I find my driving with someone in the car is much worse.

April 28th, 2008, 09:50 AM
LorieB's Avatar Super Mommy
Crazy cats. However, you can't crash a cat from their distractions

I don't mind the hands free devices. Although I do know some people who are also terrible with people in the car and probably shouldn't even have licenses to begin with *cough cough* looking in your general direction, Grandma.

Does anyone have a law against cell phones while driving where they live?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search