"Man killed by four red bulls a day"

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 28th, 2008, 11:17 AM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
A night worker who drank four cans of Red Bull a day died of a heart attack that may have been caused by the energy drink, an inquest heard.

Alfredo Duran collapsed at the end of a nightshift at a supermarket, during which he regularly drank large quantities of Red Bull, advertised with the slogan 'It gives you wings'.

The amount of caffeine found in the 40-year-old's body although not in itself fatal could have brought on a card*iac arrest because he already had an enlarged heart, the inquest heard.[/b]
Link

April 28th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Little Mrs Sunshine
i have read a lot of articles on red bull not being good for you. that is so terrible. i think sometimes people forget that caffeine can be addicting and considered a drug. and too much of anything is not good for you. i think its important to try to make healthy eating choices - and i wish i was better at it because my eating habits stink! ... working on that though... anyway...

sadly some people dont realize when something isnt good for them because they feel fine and "look fine". for example my dr's always told me i was healthy based on looking at me. I had a horrible diet though and needed my gallbladder removed. because I was "in shape" and "young" he didnt think there was anything wrong with my gallbladder. my mom told him to humor her and just do a scan. turned out i needed my gallbladder removed.

I think the media puts too much focus on what "looks healthy" and not enough focus on what IS healthy. oh yeah, they also have a terrible idea of what looking healthy means too, so that doesnt help any.
April 28th, 2008, 12:01 PM
LorieB's Avatar Super Mommy
That article is incorrect... Red Bull gives you wiiings

I can't imagine drinking that many Red Bulls in a 24 hour period, that is a LOT of caffeine and sugar. I wonder if the man knew his heart was already enlarged because I would think the drink would have a warning on it for that, I know they do for pregnant and breastfeeding moms.

April 28th, 2008, 12:08 PM
irishxrose
That's a lot of Red Bulls.

I agree with POB.
April 28th, 2008, 12:31 PM
mommyKathyX3
You can die from ANYTHING anymore. My BIL would drink at least 6 of those big "MONSTER" drinks EVERY DAY for a long time. (like at least a year) He was out of his MIND, but he said that was the only thing that kept him from doing drugs. So, not sure which was worse. (he was going through some bad home crap at the time) When he stopped, he went through MAJOR withdraw, and gained a bunch of weight.

I wish my husband would listen to this kind of stuff though. He is very big (overweight) and he has sleep apnea, and the energy drinks and caffeine are about the only thing that keeps him awake during the day to do his job. Its like a drug for him, and it makes me REALLY nervous. Doc said last year that his BP was really good and he was quote "the healthiest fat guy hes seen in a long time" (we have a good rapore with our doc) so of course DH took that as he is invincible. I wish he's snap the heck out of it and look at the BIG picture. (sorry for the highjack )
April 28th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I don't think that it's JUST the caffeine and sugar. It's the ginseng and all of the other stuff that it's in it to "amp" you up. If it's not safe for pregnant women, there's a REASON.

I'm sure this guy's heart was damaged beforehand, but honestly, I would never drink that many of any drink like that in one 24 hour period. I sometimes indulge in an energy drink (following a long night or early morning, etc.), but it's definitely not often (once a month or so).

All that crap is just BAD for you.

And Kathy, no worries on the thread hijack... I know what you mean! My DH was like that in the past.

April 28th, 2008, 03:55 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
That article is incorrect... Red Bull gives you wiiings tongue.gif[/b]
Kinda gives it a new meaning doesn't it?
April 28th, 2008, 05:25 PM
SugarNSpice's Avatar VBAC Mommy!!!
Man, that sucks. I love Red Bull...but I would never drink 4 in one day or I wouldn't sleep a wink at night! One is about all I can handle in one day...I don't drink a lot of caffiene, so one is all I can take.

April 28th, 2008, 09:23 PM
MissTorrieIfYou'reNasty's Avatar Co-Host of Heated Debates
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
That article is incorrect... Red Bull gives you wiiings tongue.gif[/b]
Kinda gives it a new meaning doesn't it?
[/b][/quote]

"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."
April 28th, 2008, 09:53 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I beliee it. My cousin is addicted to those caffeine pills. he weighs over 400 lbs & also claims he cant stay awake to work without them & that it keeps him from doign drugs.

hes *supposedlY* scaled back though. At the peak of his addiction, he suffered kidney failure which was directly linked to the caffeine pills he took.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 29th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Quote:
I beliee it. My cousin is addicted to those caffeine pills. he weighs over 400 lbs & also claims he cant stay awake to work without them & that it keeps him from doign drugs.

hes *supposedlY* scaled back though. At the peak of his addiction, he suffered kidney failure which was directly linked to the caffeine pills he took.

Lala...[/b]
Wow. That's sad.

April 29th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Nyzira's Avatar Just call me Bam.
Nothing that is highly processed is good for you. We've known that for decades... Red Bull's unhealthiness was first discussed 7 years ago. But honestly, 4 Red Bulls a day isn't all that much. There's about as much caffeine in a can of Red Bull as there is in a cup of coffee, so that's the equivalent of 4 cups of coffee in an entire 24 hour period. I know people that drink more than that before they even get out of bed in the morning. Hell, I used to have 9 shots of espresso per work shift when I tended bar. They took the ephedrine out of it, so that can't be blamed. Taurine is a natural amino acid that is already found in the body. Too much of that will cause adverse effects on the body but it's *usually* in the form of diarrhea and vomiting. Glucuronolactone is also naturally found in the body as a detoxifying carbohydrate. There's no ginseng in it and even if there was, ginseng is quite good for the body. There *is* aspartame in it which has been proven to be a carcinogenic but even that would take *years* of overdosing to kill you. Truth of the matter is the guy had a bad heart. It happens. Everybody's always looking for someone to blame.

April 29th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Gracey and Evan's Ma
I was thinking that 4 red bulls wasnt all THAT much in 24hrs too.. I have had 4 in about an hour (nevermind that it was mixed with Jager ) and it didnt really affect me too much (the redbulls that is). I would probably blame it on the enlarged heart..
April 30th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Quote:
I was thinking that 4 red bulls wasnt all THAT much in 24hrs too.. I have had 4 in about an hour (nevermind that it was mixed with Jager ) and it didnt really affect me too much (the redbulls that is). I would probably blame it on the enlarged heart..[/b]
I think the same thing. I've had the equivalent caffeine wise (I work at Starbucks), and it didn't really affect me that much. I know there are other things in energy drinks, but I think it was this guy's enlarged heart more than anything else. I doubt the Red Bulls caused THAT.

May 1st, 2008, 11:15 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
how sad; good thing i dont like those anyways, there nasty.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search