Florida lawmakers consider offering a "Christian" license plate

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 28th, 2008, 12:19 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

Quote:
MIAMI (AP) - Florida drivers can order more than 100 specialty license plates celebrating everything from manatees to the Miami Heat, but one now under consideration would be the first in the nation to explicitly promote a specific religion.

The Florida Legislature is considering a specialty plate with a design that includes a Christian cross, a stained-glass window and the words "I Believe."

Rep. Edward Bullard, the plate's sponsor, said people who "believe in their college or university" or "believe in their football team" already have license plates they can buy. The new design is a chance for others to put a tag on their cars with "something they believe in," he said.[/b]
Link

April 28th, 2008, 12:23 PM
mommyKathyX3
So? They make them for anything else. I've seen so many licence plate FRAMES that are religeous, and some that are downright offensive. I dont care if they make the actual plates that way either. THey just need to make sure that if there is a demand for other religeons they are willing to accomidate those also.
April 28th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Just Nana's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
So? They make them for anything else. I've seen so many licence plate FRAMES that are religeous, and some that are downright offensive. I dont care if they make the actual plates that way either. THey just need to make sure that if there is a demand for other religeons they are willing to accomidate those also.[/b]

I completely agree as long as all can its ok, but if you limit to just one religion then no

April 29th, 2008, 07:44 AM
I obviously don't have a problem with it. They have the "choose life" license plates here already (in FL), which are pro-life license plates. I don't see how feeling strong about something, whether it be abortion, religion, etc. is a bad thing and that you can't have it displayed on your car.

I like the idea.

April 29th, 2008, 07:47 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm against the state being a vehicle/means for raising money for any religious organization, including license plates.

I feel similarly about the "choose life" plates since it's largely a religious thing... but of course since its not STRICTLY a religious thing, I don't object as much as I would to a christian plate.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 29th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Quote:
I'm against the state being a vehicle/means for raising money for any religious organization, including license plates.

I feel similarly about the "choose life" plates since it's largely a religious thing... but of course since its not STRICTLY a religious thing, I don't object as much as I would to a christian plate.

Lala...[/b]
I hadn't thought about it from that angle... that the proceeds might actually benefit a cause. But how in the world would they be able to designate where the funds on these new "Christian" license plates would go toward?

April 29th, 2008, 07:57 AM
All of our specialty plates are basically "fundraisers".

Let me do a quick search & see where they plan to donate these particular funds to.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 29th, 2008, 08:03 AM
About where the funds would go...

Quote:
The bill creating the "I Believe" plate would also create an "In God We Trust" plate to benefit the children of soldiers and law enforcement officers whose parents have died. It also could face opposition as a violation of the separation of church and state.[/b]
Quote:
The group asking for the "I Believe" plate, the Orlando-based nonprofit Faith in Teaching Inc., supports faith-based schools activities. The plate would cost drivers an extra $25 annual fee.[/b]

Quote:
Bullard, the plate's sponsor, isn't sure all groups should be able to express their preference. If atheists came up with an "I Don't Believe" plate, for example, he would probably oppose it.[/b]
Nice guy, eh?

http://www.christianpost.com/article/20080...ense_Plates.htm

Quote:
All extra money raised from the sale of “I Believe” license plates will help fund non-profit organizations in Orlando, Fla.[/b]
(christian non profits that is).

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!

</a>
April 29th, 2008, 09:25 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If they won't allow an atheist, Buddhist, Muslim, ect... counterpart plate, then no, I don't believe they should get one either.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
April 29th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We have tons of personalized plate options in VA. I don't think we have any religious ones but I could be wrong. I once read that the state of VA has more personalized options than any other state. They are used for fundraising for whatever is the sponsoring group (though the amount the sponsoring group gets from each plate isn't much and in order to start production on a plate design they have to have a whole bunch of pre-orders). But, like anyone else asking for your money if you don't believe in their cause, don't get that plate design. I'm not sure how it would be offensive to anyone since it says *I* believe and not "If you don't believe like I do you're going to hell." But then again I've been told that the Education Begins at Home (homeschooling) license plate I have is offensive and is saying that those who don't homeschool are wrong. Not sure how they get that since all it says is education begins at home, but people often take offense to things where no offense is meant. Of course I am quite amused at the Christian license plate excluding some Christians. We don't all use the cross as a symbol.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 29th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Melissa02909's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
So? They make them for anything else. I've seen so many licence plate FRAMES that are religeous, and some that are downright offensive. I dont care if they make the actual plates that way either. THey just need to make sure that if there is a demand for other religeons they are willing to accomidate those also.[/b]
I agree. I live in Kissimmee, fl and I would have no problem with it, provided that they would allow for other plates. However, that is not the impression I have gotten as a Florida resident. The state also has Pro-Life plates but no Pro-Choice. So, I think they just need to provide options to all groups and not just one, which is what the state appears to be doing.

Melissa

April 29th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Quote:
So? They make them for anything else. I've seen so many I agree. I live in Kissimmee, fl and I would have no problem with it, provided that they would allow for other plates. However, that is not the impression I have gotten as a Florida resident. The state also has Pro-Life plates but no Pro-Choice. So, I think they just need to provide options to all groups and not just one, which is what the state appears to be doing.[/b]
That may not be the case. I don't know how the process is in FL, but in VA the sponsoring group first designs the plate and then there is a period of time where they take pre-orders. The require something like 2,500 of them statewide here in order to just start producing the plate. They are trying to get a midwifery plate here but they have only had a handful of pre-orders so it doesn't look like they'll be able to get enough. It is up to the sponsoring group, not the DMV, to advertise that pre-orders are needed. So it could just be that a pro-choice group (or whatever) hasn't tried to make a plate or if they did their advertising was lacking or they just didn't get enough pre-orders to move into production.

Smaller on the Outside

April 29th, 2008, 04:24 PM
whatever
Quote:
About where the funds would go...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
The bill creating the "I Believe" plate would also create an "In God We Trust" plate to benefit the children of soldiers and law enforcement officers whose parents have died. It also could face opposition as a violation of the separation of church and state.[/b]
Quote:
The group asking for the "I Believe" plate, the Orlando-based nonprofit Faith in Teaching Inc., supports faith-based schools activities. The plate would cost drivers an extra $25 annual fee.[/b]

Quote:
Bullard, the plate's sponsor, isn't sure all groups should be able to express their preference. If atheists came up with an "I Don't Believe" plate, for example, he would probably oppose it.[/b]
Nice guy, eh?

http://www.christianpost.com/article/20080...ense_Plates.htm

Quote:
All extra money raised from the sale of “I Believe” license plates will help fund non-profit organizations in Orlando, Fla.[/b]
(christian non profits that is).

Lala...
[/b][/quote]
My initial response was "I don't care" until I read this post.

I did not realize the money went to special interest groups.

I also think if they're going to allow this, it should not only be for Christians but for any group.
April 29th, 2008, 04:28 PM
The process in FL is a bit different from the process in VA, and WAY more expensive. Just to get the plate design to the legislature costs $60,000. http://www.flhsmv.gov/specialtytags/SLP.html#1

Smaller on the Outside

April 30th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Why aren't bumper stickers enough?[/b]
Good point! I also see a lot of the license plate frames; those seem to make more sense. Sorry, I'm a boring standard license plate gal.

April 30th, 2008, 10:42 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't care, even if the funds are going to special interest groups since it's not taxpayer money that goes to religious causes. You choose to pay the extra money for the plate.

April 30th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Veteran
I don't see that it violates the "establishment" clause if there is nothing that compells a person to have to buy that license plate.

Now let's throw another one out there: Indiana has a plate with an American flag and the phrase "In God We Trust" While we too have a variety of plates available at extra cost as fundraisers for various organizations, "In God We Trust" is available at no extra charge. A plain license plate which as of this year has the state emblem on it is also available, presumably by offering an alternative it must be the state's means of avoiding the establishment clause.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search