designer baby clothes

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2008, 12:49 AM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
do you think its a good idea to dress your baby in the most expensive thing? im talking like top designer stuff. do you think its pointless.

i wouldnt buy that stuff for my baby only because for one i have more important things to get with that money like bills and food for her belly. i do buy her some nice brands but they come from a consignment shop so instead of paying 50 dollers brand new for a onsies from tommy hilfigure i only will pay maby like 3 or 4 dollers at the baby shop. i think its kind of pointless to buy stuff like that because who cares what your child is wearing, if someone is going to get close enough to read the tag inside there shirt to see who made it then they have problems.
May 2nd, 2008, 01:10 AM
Brenda04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not a mom yet, but me and DH have had this discussion, he wants top brands for everything and I just think it's crazy, their is very beautiful baby clothes and items out there that don't have to leave you broke, I would much rather make a savings account for an emergency than spend $50.00 for a Ralph Lauren onesie.

May 2nd, 2008, 06:15 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I say to each their own. Why would I care what someone else dresses their baby in? And why would anyone care what I dress my child in? If you can afford it, and you choose to do it, then fine.... it's your money and you can do what you want with it
May 2nd, 2008, 06:40 AM
chlodoll
It doesn't matter to me. Its all relative to what people can afford. If you goto baby boutiques downtown you will see jackets for 6 month olds that cost $150. Sound outrageous to most but someone is buying it!
May 2nd, 2008, 07:28 AM
mommywannabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, I'm kind of in the "to each their own" boat. I think it's silly, lol. But, if you got the money and you want to spend it on that, go for it! I do have a problem with parents who are spending that $150 on a jacket for a 6 month old and then getting on welfare cause they can't afford food.
However, if you are able to provide for your family and on top of that want to spend ridiculous amounts of money on baby clothes. Have fun!! LOL. I, personally, think I've only paid full price for one or two things for DS from a store. Other than that I always shop at Once Upon A Child, or other second hand shops. The clothes are nice, the price is right, and my wallet feels so much better afterwards. HAHA.

Casey

May 2nd, 2008, 07:52 AM
chlodoll
I have rarely bought anything full price either! Baby stores always have pretty good sales. And Baby Gap always has a great clearance rack! I have only really bought things full price if it were special occasions and I wanted something particular.
May 2nd, 2008, 07:59 AM
SugarNSpice's Avatar VBAC Mommy!!!
Another one who says "to each their own"....
I will buy boutique style clothes for my girls if there is a special occasion coming up, but most of their every-day wear is regular clothing...Old Navy mostly, Dept. Stores, The Children's Place, etc......
There's no sense in spending a ton of money on every day clothes that they'll get dirty and grow out of quickly. But I DO want them to look cute.

May 2nd, 2008, 08:27 AM
Veteran
I say it is your choice. My daughter has a lot of these type of clothes, but if you shop outlets it is much cheaper. Plus, I don't know where you are looking, but Ralph Lauren and Tommy are not that expensive, you can buy whole outfits at Macy's or the outlet for less than $20 or $30. I shop a lot at a local exclusive kids shop--they call me when there are sales and I buy a lot off of their sale racks at 50 or 75% off.
May 2nd, 2008, 08:37 AM
Well, for me personally, $20-$30 for one outfit seems expensive. But that could be because I can get 3 or 4 outfits for that price at a second hand shop. LOL. I guess that might make me "cheap" but I really can't justify in my mind spending that much on clothes (unless its a super special occassion) when I can get so much more for the same price and save the extra money for other things. But then again, we do have quite a bit of debt we're trying to climb out of, and we do like to go do things with the family so we tend to try and stretch our money as far as it will go. LOL.

Casey

May 2nd, 2008, 11:10 AM
mommyKathyX3
If you have the money, and nobody is suffering or going without anything else in the family, I dont care.

This topic got quite heated last year. lol
May 2nd, 2008, 11:12 AM
Maybe we're all "older and wiser" this year.........or maybe we just dont care as much about the topic this time around. LMAO.

Casey

May 2nd, 2008, 11:20 AM
Just Nana's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know I dont care its not my money and can still keep food on the table and a roof over their heads its not my business.

I personally wouldnt but thats just me.

May 2nd, 2008, 11:21 AM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am torn on this one.
If you can afford then who cares. However, I wonder what you are teaching your child about physical appearences if they are dressed in only designer clothes. I would hope from a young age that what is on the inside is stressed and not what is on the outside. It is a stretch, I know, but something I would consider before I decided to spend a fortune on designer clothes (for myself or baby).
May 2nd, 2008, 11:44 AM
mommyKathyX3
Quote:
I am torn on this one.
If you can afford then who cares. However, I wonder what you are teaching your child about physical appearences if they are dressed in only designer clothes. I would hope from a young age that what is on the inside is stressed and not what is on the outside. It is a stretch, I know, but something I would consider before I decided to spend a fortune on designer clothes (for myself or baby).[/b]
I see totally what you are saying, but generally speaking I think its the parents responsibility to teach them that its just "clothes" and its about personal preference NOT because of anything else. Maybe someone else only likes wearing clothes made from 100% cotton cause they like the way it looks and feels better than anything else. Its not about "image" to everyone else, its about personal preference to yourself.

The parents that DONT teach kids that thier "clothing choices" are just about likes and dislikes and not who they ARE, clothing is honestly one of the last things I'm worried about. They are probably very self centered kids with EVERYTHING.

Overall, I do agree with you, that if you ONLY buy designer stuff you are opening a can of worms you better be ready to deal with.
May 2nd, 2008, 12:03 PM
Little Mrs Sunshine
not a big deal to me. just clothes. as long as they arent dressing the child provocatively I see no problem - though people can have different definitions of what is provocative clothing for a child. i buy "nicer" clothes for my kids, but I also buy less. some people buy a TON of cheap clothing. I probably spend the same amount of money as them, my kids just wear each outfit more times. or some people buy just a few things but cheap and save a ton of money for other things. i don't think its a good idea to buy designer clothes in place of paying for food and shelter, but if the needs of the family are being met I say buy whatever clothes they want that they can afford. some people may have other priorities like a child college fun and cant afford to save for college AND buy designed clothing. some people just don't care about designed clothing so they rather shop at the salvation army because its all the same to them.
May 2nd, 2008, 12:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
All of ds's clothes come from Old Navy or Gao mostly. He does have a few designer outfits, but there is not much of a need around here except for Easter and Christmas. I buy whatever I like and don't really care what anyone else buys. The only two places that I won't buy clothes are Wal-Mart and second hand stores.
DS-Sully(4)
DS-Gus(2)

May 2nd, 2008, 01:02 PM
Quote:
All of ds's clothes come from Old Navy or Gao mostly. He does have a few designer outfits, but there is not much of a need around here except for Easter and Christmas. I buy whatever I like and don't really care what anyone else buys. The only two places that I won't buy clothes are Wal-Mart and second hand stores.[/b]

Can I ask why to the bolded part? Not trying to start a seperate debate or anything, I just honestly am curious as to why you wouldn't by clothes there. Maybe there's something I'm missing....but second hand stores are pretty much the only place I shop for DS and when I'm not shopping there, I'm going to WalMart. LOL. So I guess you got my curiousity going with that sentence.

Casey

May 2nd, 2008, 01:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't mind. I don't think Wal-Mart has good quality clothes. The fabrics are stiff and thin. Not what I look for in clothes. The second hand clothes is just preference. I don't want to wear clothes that someone else has worn and I am not going to get something for my kids that I wouldn't wear. I have a hard enough time buying clothes that other people just try on much less lived in.
DS-Sully(4)
DS-Gus(2)

May 2nd, 2008, 01:14 PM
Quote:
I don't mind. I don't think Wal-Mart has good quality clothes. The fabrics are stiff and thin. Not what I look for in clothes. The second hand clothes is just preference. I don't want to wear clothes that someone else has worn and I am not going to get something for my kids that I wouldn't wear. I have a hard enough time buying clothes that other people just try on much less lived in.[/b]

Ok, got it. Don't agree.....but thats ok, but thats why you spend your money your way and I spend my money my way. Thank you for giving me your reasons though!

Casey

May 2nd, 2008, 01:16 PM
mommyKathyX3
my husband refuses to wear second hand clothes too. He doesnt like that I get stuff for the kids and will automatically take a disliking if he KNOWS its 2nd hand, so I dont tell him. lol He KNOWS some of the kids clothes are 2nd hand, but we decided its a dont ask dont tell thing when it comes to where I got the kids clothes. That came from the fact when he was growing up he NEVER once had anything new. He had 4 older brothers, and 2 older boy cousins that lived with them for a good amount of time, and they were always broke. He said his first NEW thing (other than underwear) was when he was 16 and got his first job.

I agree that walmarts clothes do tend to be a bit less of a quality, but honestly I've found that they outgrow them before they wear them out anyway so I dont care. Ive never noticed that they are "stiffer" though. Ovearall, my fav clothing store is Target! Close second is JC Penny and Kohls (but only on clearance. lol)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search