bikinis/two-pieces on baby girls/young girls

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Spud'sMom
Now, I don't have a daughter and I wasn't allowed to wear a two-piece until I moved out of the house at 17, so I may be biased. I think it's totally inappropriate for any girl under the age of 16 to wear two-piece swimwear; it invites all sorts of unwelcome attention.
May 6th, 2008, 07:01 AM
mommyKathyX3
ooooh, this COULD be a popcorn worthy debate.

I think SOME 2 piece swimsuits are inappropriate, but not all. Depends on what you consider young girl too. I think there is nothing WRONG with it on babies/toddlers, though I think sometimes its a bit silly. Thier swimsuit ends up around their neck half the time. lol (I'm speaking of the itsy bitsy bikini tops, not things like tankini types)

Overall if you are looking at a TODDLER or BABY and thinking innapropriate things cause of the swimsuit they are wearing you are the one with the issues. I dont look at a 1 yr old in a bikini and go "OMG. Look, she has BREASTS" or something like that. They are a BABY. Babies and toddlers can run around NAKED as far as I'm concerned.

At what age do you have to be more careful? Hmmm, depends on the kid and how mature they are looking. If they can attract attention from someone in a NORMAL sense (like I was 10 and a C cup) then NO they shoudnt be wearing a bikini. Tankini, or modest 2 peice, fine. I've seen some 8-9 yr olds start to develop breasts. They could pass off generally as a 14 yr old, and THAT attracts too much attention from other 14 yr olds thinking they are 14. If they LOOK 8 whats the harm? If ANYBODY looks as someone who is 8 and thinks "yummy" then it doesnt matter if they are wearing a 2 peice or an over coat, they will still be looking at them SICK.

My nieces 12 yr old BFF SERIOUSLY look like she is at least 16. Last summer when they were 11, she was acting 11 with her friends, but sure didnt look it. Times like that, you got to be more careful with ANYTHING she is wearing.

Not all 2 pieces are bad though.
May 6th, 2008, 07:07 AM
momoftwinsand1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I disagree. I have always worn a 2 piece and my girls have to. I dont think wearing a bikini is bad. Now my girls dont wear skimpy ones and neither do I. they are age appropiate. I think as long as everything is covered the way it should be then its fine.
John Allen 4-4-06, VBAC 6 pounds 2 ounces 19 inches long
Paige Belle 5-21-07, VBAC 5 pounds 9 ounces 17 inches
Ava Marie 2-28-09, VBAC 5 pounds 10 ounces,16 1/2 inches
Jackson Douglas 2-13-13, VBAC 6 pounds 5 ounces, 19 inches
May 6th, 2008, 07:39 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Quote:
Now, I don't have a daughter and I wasn't allowed to wear a two-piece until I moved out of the house at 17, so I may be biased. I think it's totally inappropriate for any girl under the age of 16 to wear two-piece swimwear; it invites all sorts of unwelcome attention.[/b]
What kind of unwelcome attention does it invite? If you mean sexual predators I'd have to disagree with that. People who molest or rape children are going to do it regardless of what the child is wearing. That is why so many FULLY CLOTHED children are snatched off the streets each year. Besides for a young girl there isn't much to be revealed in a bikini other that her stomach.

Do you believe young boys should have to wear shorts and shirt in order to swim? If not then why the double standard?

May 6th, 2008, 07:41 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Babies in bikinis debate: http://www.justmommies.com/boards/index.ph...amp;hl=swimsuit

Here are a few other debates on this topic too, they got pretty long

May 6th, 2008, 08:18 AM
SugarNSpice's Avatar VBAC Mommy!!!
My almost-3 year old and my almost-1 year old both have little bikinis that they will wear this summer. I think they're adorable!!! They're babies. And I agree with Susan that a predator won't snatch a kid in a bikini any quicker than they will snatch a kid fully clothed. I don't think it's inappropriate at all.
With adolescent girls, I think it just depends on the type of bikini. I wouldn't let my daughters wear a string bikini with thongs or anything...but a 2-peice is fine as long as everything is covered.

May 6th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
Now, I don't have a daughter and I wasn't allowed to wear a two-piece until I moved out of the house at 17, so I may be biased. I think it's totally inappropriate for any girl under the age of 16 to wear two-piece swimwear; it invites all sorts of unwelcome attention.[/b]
What kind of unwelcome attention does it invite? If you mean sexual predators I'd have to disagree with that. People who molest or rape children are going to do it regardless of what the child is wearing. That is why so many FULLY CLOTHED children are snatched off the streets each year. Besides for a young girl there isn't much to be revealed in a bikini other that her stomach.

Do you believe young boys should have to wear shorts and shirt in order to swim? If not then why the double standard?
[/b]
Yes, I believe boys should wear a swim shirt and girls should be allowed to wear something they don't have to adjust every five minutes.

My boys and girls wear basicilally the same thing bottoms like shorts or bicycle shorts and tops like a shirt or a short dress.

Mom to boys: G 7, C 5, K 4, N 3

May 6th, 2008, 09:20 AM
irishxrose
Quote:
ooooh, this COULD be a popcorn worthy debate.

I think SOME 2 piece swimsuits are inappropriate, but not all. Depends on what you consider young girl too. I think there is nothing WRONG with it on babies/toddlers, though I think sometimes its a bit silly. Thier swimsuit ends up around their neck half the time. lol (I'm speaking of the itsy bitsy bikini tops, not things like tankini types)

Overall if you are looking at a TODDLER or BABY and thinking innapropriate things cause of the swimsuit they are wearing you are the one with the issues. I dont look at a 1 yr old in a bikini and go "OMG. Look, she has BREASTS" or something like that. They are a BABY. Babies and toddlers can run around NAKED as far as I'm concerned.

At what age do you have to be more careful? Hmmm, depends on the kid and how mature they are looking. If they can attract attention from someone in a NORMAL sense (like I was 10 and a C cup) then NO they shoudnt be wearing a bikini. Tankini, or modest 2 peice, fine. I've seen some 8-9 yr olds start to develop breasts. They could pass off generally as a 14 yr old, and THAT attracts too much attention from other 14 yr olds thinking they are 14. If they LOOK 8 whats the harm? If ANYBODY looks as someone who is 8 and thinks "yummy" then it doesnt matter if they are wearing a 2 peice or an over coat, they will still be looking at them SICK.

My nieces 12 yr old BFF SERIOUSLY look like she is at least 16. Last summer when they were 11, she was acting 11 with her friends, but sure didnt look it. Times like that, you got to be more careful with ANYTHING she is wearing.

Not all 2 pieces are bad though.[/b]

I was allowed to wear a tankini from 10 until I was 14, and then my mom let me buy bikinis... but it really depended on the suit itself and how much it revealed. I much preferred a tankini though with the shorts, instead of the normal style. More comfortable and I didn't have to always "readjust" like I had to with normal suits. I won't touch bikinis now, but that's mainly because I'm sure no one wants to see my stretchmarks and flabby skin.
May 6th, 2008, 09:24 AM
whatever
I'm sure your stretch marks are lovely. Mine are HOT!!

I am just glad I have boys. While their clothes are beyond boring. I don't have to worry about this!
May 6th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Little Mrs Sunshine
i dont care. my daughter can wear a two peice when its around the family and close friends. when we go out in public we do one peices (which some of her cutest bathing suits are one peice anyway) or we do a tank-ini. I'd definitely prefer my daughter when older to choose tasteful bathing suits. When I was a teen I wore those bikinis that were shorts on the bottom and fully covered the top. i didnt like one peices because they werent comfortable and my butt always overfilled the butt part and I hated that! same reason I wore the short bottoms. Now that I'm older I dont care as much but I still prefer some full rear coverage. anyway, I trust my daughter will make good choices when we come to that time. as for the age she is at now I pick whatever I think is appropriate for where we will be and who will be there. i dont like those bikinis that have flowers or lady bugs or whatever as each "cup" of the bathing suit. seems odd to me. But some people think that is cute then thats up to them.
May 6th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
i think that as long as the child has nothing to show off (meaning they are younger/babies/toddlers/young girls) i think its fine. its still "cute". but once they reach puberty and start developing i think that they should wear either tankinis or one pieces.... at least until they are 16 or 17.

<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left">[/url][/url</MARQUEE>
May 6th, 2008, 11:06 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our daughter hasn't worn a two piece suit since the summer that she was a year old, and it doesn't have anything to do with worry over sexual predators at all. It has everything to do with modesty, though, and teaching her to be modest from as early as she can remember. We just couldn't see letting her wear a two piece suit up until some magic age and then, all of a sudden, saying, "Nope, now you have to wear a one piece suit because now you have to be modest." It's just all she's ever known, and she knows that her bathing suits will be one piece and she doesn't have a problem with it. (She'll be 8 next month)

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

May 6th, 2008, 11:36 AM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Growing up a swimmer, this one is a tough one.

I wore a little cute bikini in my kiddy pool when I was a wee one.. but when I went to the pool, it was always a 1 piece.

I grew up wearing a speedo swimsuit or equivalent. Full racer back (I did at one point have a "pamela anderson" red swimsuit that we picked up somewhere and I should never have worn it in public, but I did if mom didn't know lol), covered cleavage (I was a B cup at 11), but I did prefer the higher cut on my hips for mobility. I've always been covered as much as possible.

I think it's ok for young girls to wear 2 pieces at the beach. But I think when you're in a public pool, all suits should be meant for a pool. (speedo, nike, etc and cheaper ones like them). Yes the big companies make 2 pieces, but they're meant to stay on the body when it's in the water, most tankini's do not stay in place.. I own one.. If it wasn't for constant adjusting it'd never stay in place.

May 6th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Just Nana's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As long as its covering all the appropriate parts I dont care.

May 6th, 2008, 12:45 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
As long as its covering all the appropriate parts I dont care.[/b]
ditto

Though I will add I learned that body boarding and two pieces don't mix.

May 6th, 2008, 02:18 PM
short_n_swt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No I don't agree with it, bikini's are for adult women, and to me and my husband are to provocative for a child or tween to wear. My MIL bought a few for my daughter after my husband said NO, so he threw them out. Some were even to skimpy for a stripper I also think they attract unwanted starring eyes as their bodies are maturing and they are young teens, and the teens I see these days I can't tell if they are 12 or 16!! So no, a bikini will not be on our daughter. And I don't know how anyone who said that men wouldn't stare more is a myth, because I feel the more you allowing for them to see, the more they will look.

May 6th, 2008, 02:32 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I really don't care on this one. I happen to think nude beaches are fine...so I can't say a swim suit is a problem in size. I don't even recall being made to wear a top to swim until I was probably 5 or 6...I can actually remember being allowed to run around shirtless (much to my mom's dismay - but she said she was tired of fighting me on it & thought it really wasn't a big deal). I have been nothing but conservative all my life in other dress - so I disagree with those that thin being "allowed" to wear a bikini will transcend into other areas of dress. As my body matured I was less interested in showing it....because the point of why I liked less clothes was feeling free - it doesn't feel free when you get to an age where less clothes equals more attention. I have seen a ton of children at the beach in bikinis all my life & of all the tings that people get in a huff about - this one I don't get. I have never known one single person to have a bad experience directly related to having worn a bikini as a child...I am MUCH more upset at het number of parents that fail to properly cover their children in regard to sun exposure & fail to use proper care in aplying sunscreen ahead of time (as directed on ALL sunscreen bottles) and failing to reapply it when they swim or are out for long periods.. THAT to me is a MUCH bigger issue.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

May 6th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Spud'sMom
Quote:
No I don't agree with it, bikini's are for adult women, and to me and my husband are to provocative for a child or tween to wear. My MIL bought a few for my daughter after my husband said NO, so he threw them out. Some were even to skimpy for a stripper I also think they attract unwanted starring eyes as their bodies are maturing and they are young teens, and the teens I see these days I can't tell if they are 12 or 16!! So no, a bikini will not be on our daughter. And I don't know how anyone who said that men wouldn't stare more is a myth, because I feel the more you allowing for them to see, the more they will look.[/b]
This is essentially the point I was trying to make. Just because someone isn't a sexual predator, doesn't mean that they don't stare. And what about pre-teen and teenage boys saying or doing inappropriate things, which we all know they have the tendency to do? What if one silly comment about appearance gets misconstrued? IMO the basic concept of a bikini is to highlight more feminine attributes and show more skin, be more attractive and alluring. Young(er) girls don't need to learn this potentially damaging concept until they understand their own sexuality fully.

As for nude or topless beaches, I have been to beaches all over Europe and the Caribbean, and have even gone topless myself as an adult female. I have seen young girls w/o their bathing suit tops, and while I didn't agree with it, I don't find it inappropriate outside of the US. The major difference is that these cultures don't "sexualize" the act of sunbathing/engaging in leisure activities on the beach.
May 6th, 2008, 08:59 PM
whatever
Quote:
Quote:
As long as its covering all the appropriate parts I dont care.[/b]
ditto

Though I will add I learned that body boarding and two pieces don't mix.
[/b]
Whoa! You let your baby body board!!
May 6th, 2008, 09:52 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
No I don't agree with it, bikini's are for adult women, and to me and my husband are to provocative for a child or tween to wear. My MIL bought a few for my daughter after my husband said NO, so he threw them out. Some were even to skimpy for a stripper I also think they attract unwanted starring eyes as their bodies are maturing and they are young teens, and the teens I see these days I can't tell if they are 12 or 16!! So no, a bikini will not be on our daughter. And I don't know how anyone who said that men wouldn't stare more is a myth, because I feel the more you allowing for them to see, the more they will look.[/b]
This is essentially the point I was trying to make. Just because someone isn't a sexual predator, doesn't mean that they don't stare. And what about pre-teen and teenage boys saying or doing inappropriate things, which we all know they have the tendency to do? What if one silly comment about appearance gets misconstrued? IMO the basic concept of a bikini is to highlight more feminine attributes and show more skin, be more attractive and alluring. Young(er) girls don't need to learn this potentially damaging concept until they understand their own sexuality fully.

As for nude or topless beaches, I have been to beaches all over Europe and the Caribbean, and have even gone topless myself as an adult female. I have seen young girls w/o their bathing suit tops, and while I didn't agree with it, I don't find it inappropriate outside of the US. The major difference is that these cultures don't "sexualize" the act of sunbathing/engaging in leisure activities on the beach.
[/b]
I also do not "sexualize" many things our culture does & I will not teach my children to sexualize these things by perpetuating it myself. If other people sexualize it that is their issue IMO. To me it is inappropriate that any be so worried about these types of things. If we are EVER going to get over our hang ups as a culture people actually have to be willing to "get over it" at some point. That point starts now for me - if other people wish to keep perpetuating it there is nothing I can do about them - I can only take responsibility for what I do & what I teach my kids. By saying bikinis are inappropriate or making a big deal about a girl that is not at all developed showing undo modesty - THAT to me IS the antithesis of perpetuating the idea of "breasts are primarily sexual" - when in fact their primary function is like all mammals - for nursing young. I guess I just really don't get the big deal. I don't think little girls should be wearing any clothing that is designed to be provocative & has adult themes...but I have seen MANY children's bikinis that look very much like NOTHING I would ever see an adult woman wear...at least not most adult women I know. I don't want to try & present a sexualized image of a child, but I also will not pander to thinking that if i keep a snowsuit on my kid no pervert will ever look at them. I am realistic - I think there will likely be a perv or two that checks out my kid in his lifetime regardless of what I put on that child for clothing.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search