Is this wrong?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2008, 09:48 AM
whatever
My husband thinks this is freaky. We saw it a year or so ago and then again I found it on you tube. (It comes from the PBS evolution series) I can not find a shorter version, this version is almost 10 minutes long. But please watch it if you decide to post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rXQuGgKd6c

Having watched the clip...

Do you think it is wrong when scientists mess around with DNA and genes?

Do you think it is morally wrong to put genes from one animal into another. ( or a mouse to a fruit fly)

I am not trying to debate evolution, I don't think there is anything to debate I am just trying to see if you think it is morally wrong to mess around with genes.
May 6th, 2008, 12:42 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Slam me if you will.. but I'm all for science. (I didn't watch the video yet)

Things have some so far with genetic manipulations! So much good has come out of it.. however I don't see the need to start mixing species together.. I don't want a barking fruit fly.

I'm even for stem cell research, however I think that there are enough abortions done yearly in the US and Canada that they dont have to clone people to do it.

May 6th, 2008, 03:05 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
I don't have issue with it.
May 6th, 2008, 06:14 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I don't have issue with it.[/b]
No Issues
May 6th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Doesn't bother me either

May 6th, 2008, 08:13 PM
mommyKathyX3
its a FLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol that I dont care. call me mean, but its a FLY! Start injecting mouse DNA into a human embryo, or heck even something like a dog, and I might think its cruel or wrong (cause of major disformations and the such), but a FLY??? nope.

Dont care if they are a "living thing" its a FLY! lol
May 7th, 2008, 12:30 PM
MissTorrieIfYou'reNasty's Avatar Co-Host of Heated Debates
Quote:
its a FLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol that I dont care. call me mean, but its a FLY! Start injecting mouse DNA into a human embryo, or heck even something like a dog, and I might think its cruel or wrong (cause of major disformations and the such), but a FLY??? nope.

Dont care if they are a "living thing" its a FLY! lol[/b]

But it's a slippery slope! Next thing you know they'll be crossing dogs and humans!
Cats and humans!
COWS and humans!

BTW, I would love a barking fly. I'd keep it and make it my pet.

"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."
May 7th, 2008, 01:15 PM
whatever
Yep. you never know when some crazy scientist is going to take it a step further. I don't have a problem with this action, but it does make me a little nervous of what could happen.
May 7th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Yep. you never know when some crazy scientist is going to take it a step further. I don't have a problem with this action, but it does make me a little nervous of what could happen.[/b]
Yes God Forbid they cure hundreds, thousands, hundreds of thousands, or millions because of a fly or a mouse. Cause you know neither of them are sold for food for other pets ....
May 7th, 2008, 07:31 PM
whatever
Quote:
Quote:
Yep. you never know when some crazy scientist is going to take it a step further. I don't have a problem with this action, but it does make me a little nervous of what could happen.[/b]
Yes God Forbid they cure hundreds, thousands, hundreds of thousands, or millions because of a fly or a mouse. Cause you know neither of them are sold for food for other pets ....
[/b]
I didn't say I was against what they did in this instance. I am not even sure what the food comment was for.

There is the potential for harm with anything. I am totally for legitimate things, I am however against "Frankenstein" type things lol
May 8th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Quote:

But it's a slippery slope! Next thing you know they'll be crossing dogs and humans!
Cats and humans!
COWS and humans!

[/b]
cybrids

May 8th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]
I didn't say I was against what they did in this instance. I am not even sure what the food comment was for.

There is the potential for harm with anything. I am totally for legitimate things, I am however against "Frankenstein" type things lol
[/b]
LOL ... You replied to a reply that was a reply to Kathy's "fly" comment ... that is where I was going. Sorry I did not quote that the best.

Insects and rodent I have no issue with using for testing. I do have a gut wrench when we talk about monkeys, cats, and dogs. There is ALWAYS a potential for harm. Just this last couple of months a 17 year old boy died because he was trying experimental procedures for MPS (What my daughter has). He was willing to do that to help himself and other's with that disease. I think if a person has that gumption (sp?) then so be it and I then have less guilt with animals helping research.

I guarantee that if I had an illness and there were clinical trials I would volunteer in a heart beat if it meant helping cure that disease.
May 8th, 2008, 05:36 PM
whatever
Quote:
LOL ... You replied to a reply that was a reply to Kathy's "fly" comment ... that is where I was going. Sorry I did not quote that the best.[/b]
I was so confused
May 8th, 2008, 06:55 PM
mommyKathyX3
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cats and humans!
COWS and humans!

[/b]
cybrids

[/b]
I wanna adress this really quick. I heard about this a while ago. The purpose of this is to make stem cells without being actually HUMAN. (for one) They have said that absolutly will they NEVER let a zygote live past 15 days. I'm not sure how exactly I feel about it to be honest. Its kinda weird, but its not really a "cross breed" though. Its just a cow cell "shell" holding human dna. Kinda different.

I'll bet weirder things are happening in some private labs somewhere in the world. *shrug* I just dont think about it.
May 9th, 2008, 02:19 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There are drugs made by injecting human dna into bacteria for replication.

If you think about it, we've been doing this for hundreds/thousands of years. Selectively breeding animals and crops is just another, albeit slower, method of genetic tinkering.

It's all in the application and the intent of the work that makes it right or wrong, in my opinion. Using genetic splicing to cure diseases is a good thing. Creating a human/dog hybrid to enslave is a bad thing.

The idea of a human/cow made me laugh though. Breastmilk for everybody!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search