democratic nomination

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Should Hillary drop out of the race? Would it be best if Obama asked her to be his running mate? Could such a pairing work or would it hurt the democratic party in light of how hard they've been on each other during the campaign?

May 7th, 2008, 07:23 PM
whatever
Should Hillary drop out of the race?

Nah

Would it be best if Obama asked her to be his running mate?

never gonna happen'

May 7th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Surely hell can freeze over.

May 7th, 2008, 08:20 PM
whatever
Quote:
Surely hell can freeze over. [/b]
I suppose it could!

As far as I can tell we are having the actual elections right now. The public knows they want a Democrat they just don't know which one. *waits for tug on line*
May 7th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So I take it you don't think the bitter struggle between Clinton and Obama will have an impact on the general election? I know some analysts are worried it could cause people to turn to McCain.

May 7th, 2008, 08:41 PM
whatever
I think that is more my hope talking. I have lots of HOPE that after all is said and done, any rivalry between the two camps will still end up with the losing side supporting the winning dem. I know what they are saying, but I just can not see any Dem. who is paying attention vote for McCain no matter how much they don't like Clinton or Obama.
I honestly don't even know why Republicans would vote for McCain. Even Ann Coulter doesn't like McCain!
May 7th, 2008, 08:48 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Quote:
So I take it you don't think the bitter struggle between Clinton and Obama will have an impact on the general election? I know some analysts are worried it could cause people to turn to McCain.[/b]
I know when Pennsylvania recently held their primary they reported record numbers who switched from Republican to Democrat. It seemed that an awful lot of people were tempted to jump the Republican ship. So I think a lot of those people are going to vote Democrat no matter who the ticket comes down to in the long run.

May 7th, 2008, 09:03 PM
mommyKathyX3
I like McCains wife! She races cars! lol She's really cool. Why the heck is she married to him? I dont know. I dont like ANY of the nominees on either side to be honest.

I know they say a lot of people who are democrates but support Hillary say if Obama gets it, then they will vote McCain, and vice versa cause of all the negative stuff that the opposite dem nom. is doing. THAT might hurt the democratic party.
May 7th, 2008, 09:14 PM
whatever
Quote:
I like McCains wife! She races cars! lol She's really cool. Why the heck is she married to him? I dont know. I dont like ANY of the nominees on either side to be honest.

I know they say a lot of people who are democrates but support Hillary say if Obama gets it, then they will vote McCain, and vice versa cause of all the negative stuff that the opposite dem nom. is doing. THAT might hurt the democratic party.[/b]
How many Republicans wouldn’t support McCain in the beginning? Perfect example is Thad Cochran who said something like, the thought of McCain being president sent a cold chill down his back. That man was a republican and knew him for over 30 years….He is in support of him now, from what I hear. Maybe I am hopeful because I am an Independent. I considered registering as a Dem just so I could vote in the primary but I am not a Dem so I am not going to do it. I will take whichever one they give me considering the Republicans are not going to give me a sane choice. I am sure many Republicans did not want Mccain. But they got over it and so will the Dems. (if they really are Dem's)
May 7th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Momo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Should Hillary drop out?? Heck no! I want them to duke it out to the bitter end, which looks like that is what will happen!

I think people are starting to realize what nut jobs both Obama and Hillary are through this battle. So I say, let them play on!

Clara's here! 5/13/11

I love my two handsome boys!!!
Jetty - 8/06
Jude - 9/08

May 7th, 2008, 11:51 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As for record numbers of party switchers - thats very common aroudn here b/c its a closed election state. A lot of republicans switch to democrat before the primary, and then vote for the one that is least likely to beat the republican candidate. Dirty IMO. I know this b/c a lot of my family is republican & they do this every election, both presedential & local lol.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
May 8th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
As for record numbers of party switchers - thats very common aroudn here b/c its a closed election state. A lot of republicans switch to democrat before the primary, and then vote for the one that is least likely to beat the republican candidate. Dirty IMO. I know this b/c a lot of my family is republican & they do this every election, both presedential & local lol.

Lala...[/b]
I'd heard about that happening.

May 8th, 2008, 06:24 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Quote:

Lala...[/b]
I'm sure that does happen a lot. I think this election is a bit different though. A lot of people are supportive of the new and different choices (a black man and a woman) this year. Even though I don't like any of the candidate a 100% I think this should be one of the most interesting elections we've ever had.

May 8th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Even Ann Coulter doesn't like McCain! [/b]
I don't understand that statement. I don't think Ann Coulter is a true representative of the majority of the republican party...she's like Rush and Hannity...extreme and annoying.

As to the OP, no, I don't think Hillary should drop out and if she does, I would be a bit surprised if she ended up as Obama's running mate. But its the world of politics so they'll spit in each others face one day and be best buds the next...its just a game in a lot of ways.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
May 8th, 2008, 09:41 AM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
I don't understand that statement. I don't think Ann Coulter is a true representative of the majority of the republican party...she's like Rush and Hannity...extreme and annoying.

As to the OP, no, I don't think Hillary should drop out and if she does, I would be a bit surprised if she ended up as Obama's running mate. But its the world of politics so they'll spit in each others face one day and be best buds the next...its just a game in a lot of ways.
[/b]
I'm pretty darned conservative and cannot STAND Ann Coulter. I think almost everything she says is idiotic.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

May 8th, 2008, 04:26 PM
whatever
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
I'm pretty darned conservative and cannot STAND Ann Coulter. I think almost everything she says is idiotic.
[/b]
That for me is what makes her opinion significant. People can say a lot of things about Ann Coulter but no one can say she isn’t an extreme Republican/conservative, if she is willing to vote for Hillary Clinton over John McCain that to me says something. That to me would be like Michael Moore going to bat for Bush or someone like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuTqgqhxVMc

I don’t think she is your average Republican, I should have clarified. In the past honestly I had the opinion that she would vote for Hitler if he had an R next to his name. I was beyond shocked to see her go to bat for Clinton.

Either way, I think this election is about to drive me crazy more than anyone I ever voted in. I should take a break from reading about it.
May 8th, 2008, 04:53 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am very much considering voting for McCain if Obama is the Dem Nom.... Kills me to say it but Obama and his wife scares me ... especially his wife.
May 8th, 2008, 05:34 PM
whatever
Quote:
I am very much considering voting for McCain if Obama is the Dem Nom.... Kills me to say it but Obama and his wife scares me ... especially his wife.[/b]
Really? Do you care to elaborate. (not asking in a sarcastic way, curious why they scare you)

May 9th, 2008, 08:45 AM
mtowcs09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think she should drop out at all. I think I heard either her say or someone else that she's only loosing by a tad and it's not like Huckabee and McCain. I really wish Obama would pick Hillary as the running mate. My dad who is a hard core democrat has said that with this feud going on and Obama gets it (without hillary as the running mate) then McCain will win just because of how much dislike people have for either Obama or Hillary for democrats and whoever loses (Say Hillarys side) will jump the side to McCain.

I think I explained that correctly lol.

May 9th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Quote:
So I take it you don't think the bitter struggle between Clinton and Obama will have an impact on the general election? I know some analysts are worried it could cause people to turn to McCain.[/b]
I know when Pennsylvania recently held their primary they reported record numbers who switched from Republican to Democrat. It seemed that an awful lot of people were tempted to jump the Republican ship. So I think a lot of those people are going to vote Democrat no matter who the ticket comes down to in the long run.
[/b]
For the Indiana primary, I voted in the Democrat ticket and put in a vote for Hillary. I will vote for McCain in November. My reasons are many, but none of them are because I want a Democrat to be president.

First of all, like any of the 27% of Indiana citizens who voted on the Republican ballot for Huckabee, it doesn't matter which Republican I could have voted for in the primary, McCain is the nominee. It's only remarkable that any candidate for the presidency is still up for grabs.

Other races on the Republican primary ballot are mostly one man races. Mitch Daniels is running unopposed for the Republican nomination in his race for re-election as Governor of Indiana and both US Senate seats are not up for election this year. My Congressman did have someone running against him, but my suspicion that he was secure turned out to be correct as he was re-nominated with 75% of the Republican votes.

I did have more of an interest in influencing other Democrat's nominations. In the governors race, I preferred Jill Long Thompson over Schellinger because Schellinger's policies remind me of Governor Jennifer Granholm of Michigan who got re-elected to a second term of running the state I had to relocate out of into the ground.

I believe Obama's sincerity in saying he will begin troop withdrawal from Iraq the day he swears into office. I believe his foreign policies would be detrimental and would cause damage that would take a lifetime to repair. I think Clinton would be a return to the '90's which would be bad, but at least not as bad. Foreign policy is in my opinion the most significant factor in choosing a presidential candidate.

And yes, I see that it is the will of the voters to elect Obama as the nominee of the Democratic Party. The longer Hillary stays in, the longer the process is extended. I don't rule out the possibility of that will of the people being overruled by superdelegates. In the mean time, Obama will get the scrutiny from Hillary that he'll never get in the general election. Either way, the longer the primary season extends for the Democrats the worse it is for them, and a vote for Hillary is a vote to extend the primary season.

I have heard analysis that at this point, with the nomination unlikely to go to Hillary, it's in her best interest to sabatoge Obama because if he wins, she has to wait 8 more years - in 4 years Obama would be presumed to be running for re-election. I don't see her conceding OR being VP because conceding makes it necessary that she appears to support Obama and being VP if he loses associates her with a failed candidacy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search