Myanmar refuses US help

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 8th, 2008, 08:47 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
After the recent weather disasters in Myanmar the US has offered aid. The US of course offered this adi with strings attached. Myanmar has refused. Should the US continue to try to force our aid on Myanmar or just butt out?

This article gives a bit of info on the stings that the US has attached to the offer.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080506/pl_nm/...cyclone_bush_dc

May 8th, 2008, 09:26 PM
pixie_punk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't see why there have to be strings attatched. Just for like five minutes quit playing politics and get help to the people who need it, y'know? Don't let them continue to suffer because their government won't play nicely with others.

But at the same time, that article has different information than what I've heard. It makes it sound like ONLY US help is being turned away, but on the news here tonight and all over I've been hearing that they're rejecting ALL help. The UN apparently has relief workers waiting at the borders but the Myanmar gov't won't let them in, and is rejecting all aid while its people are sick, dying and injured. That is wrong and disgusting...

There are two girls with whom I've known longer than anyone, and my debt to them is lifetime. The gathering of boys I rely on know exactly who they are and I would build their protection with bloody hands. - 36 Crazyfists
</div>
May 8th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Just Nana's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow they are not taking aid from anyone??

May 8th, 2008, 10:51 PM
whatever
Quote:
I don't see why there have to be strings attatched. Just for like five minutes quit playing politics and get help to the people who need it, y'know? Don't let them continue to suffer because their government won't play nicely with others.

But at the same time, that article has different information than what I've heard. It makes it sound like ONLY US help is being turned away, but on the news here tonight and all over I've been hearing that they're rejecting ALL help. The UN apparently has relief workers waiting at the borders but the Myanmar gov't won't let them in, and is rejecting all aid while its people are sick, dying and injured. That is wrong and disgusting...[/b]
That's terrible.
May 9th, 2008, 09:58 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For me to give a full opinion, I think i need more information.

And I am reluctant to trust our news on TV etc.

I think the US should offer help without strings or offer no help at all. Additionally, I think their govt has the right to refuse help from anyone, especially those that they may feel have an alterior motive.

I cant see us allowing foreign military on our soil for help with Katrina, or any disaster for that matter, so I'm not so surprised that they dont want foreign govt aid workers.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
May 9th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Right now I tend to think that if they don't want our help we should just rescind the offer and help those in countries who do want.....PERHAPS OUR OWN FOR A CHANGE! The U.S always seems to want to force their help and ways on others which is why the help offered came with strings attached. Not everyone want the U.S to come to the rescue.

May 9th, 2008, 10:34 AM
short_n_swt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think the US tries to force their views on other countries, and believes that's how other countries 'should be'. On the same note, I'm kind of tied because these people need the help, they need to see there is more then just poverty and that there is a 'good' life out there, one they can't reach because of a government who is standing in the way.
With that said, I don't know the answer to the question, and will be interested in other's views on the topic.

May 9th, 2008, 11:49 AM
MissTorrieIfYou'reNasty's Avatar Co-Host of Heated Debates
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...amp;refer=india

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/editorials...5/10/2003411496

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-05/...ent_8138713.htm

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southea.../JE10Ae02.html

I'm not really sure of my opinion of this yet, but I wanted to provide some more information for those who might want it before forming an opinion. I know that Myanmar's junta is one of the closest things we have to an truly evil government. I don't know if aid should be offered without strings to a Government who is responsible for as much suffering and death as this one. I'll think on it.

Oh Lord, here we go again.

Fun Fact: This is Myanmar's name in Burmese.

Can you imagine teaching a kid to spell that!?

"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."
May 9th, 2008, 11:53 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
I say butt out. This guy doesn't want help for his people.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
May 9th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Myanmar is a slightly communist country. I can see why they don't want our help... We need to heed sending help over there because of the dangers

Thank you Jacquie for the beautiful siggy!

Getting ready to do what I do!!!! One day at a time! Protecting your freedom!
May 9th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I vote butt out.

May 9th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Quote:
Right now I tend to think that if they don't want our help we should just rescind the offer and help those in countries who do want.....PERHAPS OUR OWN FOR A CHANGE! The U.S always seems to want to force their help and ways on others which is why the help offered came with strings attached. Not everyone want the U.S to come to the rescue.[/b]
I think natural disasters may be extenuating circumstances, but for the most part I agree with this. It also raises an issue I have about the unfortunate position the US is in as a world power. It seems like in the eyes of the world at large, the US can't do anything right - you go into a country to help its people, everying thinks you should butt out and leave them alone (although in some cases it's not necessarily the fact that the US went in, but HOW it was handled... but that's another debate altogether), but then you say "no, we'll stay out this time," every other country gets mad because the US "should" be helping.

I don't think it's necessarily any country's obligation to help another, it's just sometimes the humane thing to do when something like this happens.

There are two girls with whom I've known longer than anyone, and my debt to them is lifetime. The gathering of boys I rely on know exactly who they are and I would build their protection with bloody hands. - 36 Crazyfists
</div>
May 11th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Burma's government is one of the most evil governments on the planet. They don't want any outside people there because they don't want anyone to know the kind of conditions they are forcing their people to live in. The Burmese have no freedom, no press other than what the official state government says. They kill anyone who disagrees with them and they are a brutal and totalitarian force. This is not a new policy since the disaster - this has been their policy since they came into power. It's just that the mainstream media is finally picking up on it.

The reason the cyclone (hurricane) was so devastating is that they didn't warn their people that it was coming or do anything to try to evacuate. Now that the rest of the world is trying to help they are confiscating any aid that comes in. They didn't have the resources to prevent the cyclone from being so devastating to the people and they CERTAINLY don't have the resources to distribute aid. They don't have enough doctors or medications to combat the diseases that are due to all of the rotting bodies and polluted water and food supplies. It's not a stretch to believe that a government that brutalizes its people in the way the Junta does, that values its own people's lives so little that they didn't issue a warning about the impending cyclone even though they knew it was going to hit and hit hard, would not distribute valuable food and medicines to those who need it most.

We are not the bad guys here for wanting to make sure that the resources we pour into this country actually make it to the people who need it.

May 13th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Lonomia
My husband was born and raised in Burma until he was 16. After staying at a refugee camp in Thailand for a year his parents and sister were lucky enough to come to Canada. The stories he tells me about living there are horrendous and yet he still has much family living there today. The gov there doesn't help its people on a daily basis so obviously they aren't going to during a natural disaster. The US (or any other country) will be allowed into Burma on one condition and one condition only; if they give benefit to the ruling military junta.
May 14th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Quote:
My husband was born and raised in Burma until he was 16. After staying at a refugee camp in Thailand for a year his parents and sister were lucky enough to come to Canada. The stories he tells me about living there are horrendous and yet he still has much family living there today. The gov there doesn't help its people on a daily basis so obviously they aren't going to during a natural disaster. The US (or any other country) will be allowed into Burma on one condition and one condition only; if they give benefit to the ruling military junta.[/b]
Thanks goodness he made it out of there. I hope his family that remains there is ok. So do you and your DH think that the US (or any other country) should offer the aid and give benefit to the ruling military junta or should they refuse aid on the grounds that they don't want to support the military junta? I'm actually really curious about how someone who has lived there and has family there would feel. The humanitarian in me wants to say we should help anyway. Those people need the help and they aren't at fault for the horrible rule they are under. Another side of me says that if the military junta won't ease their conditions then why should we help them? It's a tough thing to think about.

May 15th, 2008, 12:30 AM
I think the problem with giving in and giving the aid to the junta is that it won't even make it to the people that way. They treat their people like dirt and aren't willing to let aid workers in to help them directly, I can't imagine that they'd just take the food/supplies/medicine/money/whatever and make sure their people get it. It's a common problem with charities that raise money for war-torn countries, the money never gets where it's needed because it gets handed over to the government (or militia, or whoever is "in charge") and "disappears."

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search