The end of the world...

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 9th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Kenya's Avatar Expecting #2
Whats your opinions of this?? My mother has been talking my ear off since seeing a show about the end of the world..Is it believable? I don't know where I stand.. if you don't know what I'm referring to, you can google end of the world 2012 and theres a bunch of websites about it.. Is it basically the same hype as Y2K??
@ 2:55pm

6lbs - 10.7oz, 20 1/4 in long

Team Blue for Baby 2! Due in April

May 9th, 2008, 11:06 AM
short_n_swt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've vaguely heard something about this, although i don't buy into it, it's quite entertaining to hear other's views!!!

May 9th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Veteran
I don't believe it.

"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man." (Mt. 24:26-29)
May 9th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Just Nana's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I cannot tell you during my lifetime how many times I have heard that the world is comming to an end.

May 9th, 2008, 11:43 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Quote:
I don't believe it.

"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man." (Mt. 24:26-29)[/b]
I agree with this.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
May 9th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I cannot tell you during my lifetime how many times I have heard that the world is comming to an end.[/b]
Amen, sister!

May 9th, 2008, 12:46 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
This refers to the Myan calender.. which so far has been right in predicting so many of the worlds events. Here's a website for it.... http://www.december212012.com/

I missed the documentary that was on discovery, but my ex saw it and said it was kinda scary on how accurate the calender really was.

May 9th, 2008, 12:57 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This one at least is a lot older than the usual ones

article

article

May 9th, 2008, 01:04 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The mayans did not predict that to be the end of the world. It was just the end of their calendar. Do you really expect for their calendar to go on forever?
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
May 9th, 2008, 01:14 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
The mayans did not predict that to be the end of the world. It was just the end of their calendar. Do you really expect for their calendar to go on forever?[/b]
Who are you responding to? Or just "you" in general?

May 9th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
No I don't believe it.

May 9th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Spud'sMom
Quote:
This refers to the Myan calender.. which so far has been right in predicting so many of the worlds events. Here's a website for it.... http://www.december212012.com/

I missed the documentary that was on discovery, but my ex saw it and said it was kinda scary on how accurate the calender really was.[/b]

DH has been obsessed with this for quite a while now, and without clicking on the links, my response is that this can be interpreted in various ways. I believe that it will be the end of the world as we know it, similar to the Renaissance or a global reformation or enlightenment.
May 9th, 2008, 02:00 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Looks like I have some googling to do.. or become a born-again Christian by 2011.
May 9th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Personally, I don't believe it. I saw a video on YouTube once that the whole issue is that a "planet" will be passin gclose to us and so the earth's axis will shift and all sort of nasty stuff will happen. Actually the video looked quite scientific until they started putting in every single disaster scene in movie history. They only missed "Godzilla"... And after it turned into a ranting on how the government is hiding this from us because it's controlled by money hungry businesses, they lost any credibility they could have with me. I'm not exactly a tycoon, but it sounds to me like if 1/3 of the world's population (something like that) dies, that can't be good for business...
I guess if you do a search on "planet X", it comes up.

Sharon
May 9th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Little Mrs Sunshine
Quote:
Looks like I have some googling to do.. or become a born-again Christian by 2011. [/b]
May 9th, 2008, 04:54 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
I saw that documentary, it was pretty interesting. Like Beth said, I'm more inclined to believe it was just the end of the calendar; but I could be swayed to believe that the poles' position could change. It's happened previously, apparently, where places like Antarctica were tropical. I don't know if it would end the earth, just change the environment.
May 9th, 2008, 05:07 PM
irishxrose
I don't believe it personally.
May 9th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Sweetpea0708's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

Quote:
Looks like I have some googling to do.. or become a born-again Christian by 2011. [/b]
I actually read somewhere (I should find the link) that says that you should stock up on all religion literature, so when the world ends, and we "find out who was right" you can easily "convert". SMH.

As far as the OP, here is a little story, in 1994 , there was all this talk about the world ending, books published, etc, and I actually sat outside on "Doomsday" and waited...and waitedd....and when the sun went down, my mom yelled out "I know you are excited to see the world end, but that doesn't excuse your curfew" ...Ok fine, I was 11, my point is, I'll believe it when I see it. I already waited around once.

May 9th, 2008, 10:58 PM
pixie_punk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I saw that documentary, it was pretty interesting. Like Beth said, I'm more inclined to believe it was just the end of the calendar; but I could be swayed to believe that the poles' position could change. It's happened previously, apparently, where places like Antarctica were tropical. I don't know if it would end the earth, just change the environment.[/b]
The poles can and have reversed in the past, but a) it takes hundreds or thousands of years I think, and B) it would never make Antarctica tropical. The magnetic north & south pole would reverse locations, the smallest effect of which would be that every compass would be messed up and the largest would be all kinds of disasters, in theory, as the earth would rotate the other way - but the magnetic poles would still be at opposite ends of the earth and therefore the same distance from the equator, and therefore from the sun, and remain similar temperatures. The Arctic and Antarctic are both very cold now... they'll stay that way IF the poles shift.

This is of course assuming we haven't melted all the polar ice caps due to global warming by 2012.

I don't buy this.

The Mayan calendar doesn't actually "end" in 2012, but the winter solstice of 2012 (so December 21, roughly) is when the current "Great Cycle" is set to end - which even by Mayan standards would only signal a change in the world, not the end of it.

This link is pretty interesting:
http://www.dailycommonsense.com/2012-expla...ldnt-be-feared/

There are two girls with whom I've known longer than anyone, and my debt to them is lifetime. The gathering of boys I rely on know exactly who they are and I would build their protection with bloody hands. - 36 Crazyfists
</div>
May 10th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't believe it and I agree with the people who've said the current cycle in the Mayan calendar is set to end, not time entirely. It is interesting to note that the bible code says something similar, can you tell I watch too much apocalypse week on the discovery channel? , with a comet impact. Oh and it also says yellowstone volcano is supposed to erupt a couple of years earlier (2010 I think).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search