Log In Sign Up

No Greater Joy


Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
May 14th, 2008, 01:26 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11,576
Holy crap, i just checked out this site as referenced in another thread & came across this:

If your 10-month-old is pitching a fit because he wants to be picked up, then you must reinforce your command with a few stinging swats.


And what do they recommend? Weedeater cord!

HOLY FREAKING SMOKES!?

WTH!?

Ok, WHY on EARTH would you HIT a 10 month old with WEEDEATER cord (or follow a "parentign" guide that instructs this) and HOW do you NOT classify that as abuse?

Lala...

And so you can see I'm not crazy: http://www.nogreaterjoy.org/articles/child...t-of-questions/
__________________




My BBT Chart





DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
Reply With Quote
  #2  
May 14th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Just Nana's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: keenesburg colo
Posts: 15,461
Holy crap if he doesnt stop crying in a min. swat him again. Thats like the saying you want me to give you something to cry about. Who are these people??
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #3  
May 14th, 2008, 02:02 PM
mommywannabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3,531
I didnt read the whole website...but WOW....I did read that part at least and the article on how young is too young to spank......and a little of other stuff.........wow.........thats all I can say for now. I have to leave work to go pick up my 1 year old who surely wont get a smack with a weadeat cord when he starts to cry for me to pick him up when I get to the daycare....sheesh.....


Casey
__________________
Mommy to 3 little monsters: "T" - 8 years old, "A" - 7 years old, & "Q" - 2 years old

Reply With Quote
  #4  
May 14th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Tofu Bacon
Guest
Posts: n/a
Dear Lord, please tell me they at least take the cord OUT of the weed-whacker first

I've heard a lot about the Pearls. They are scary, scary people. Makes Dobson and Ezzo look like marshmallows in comparission.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
May 14th, 2008, 02:12 PM
MissTorrieIfYou'reNasty's Avatar Co-Host of Heated Debates
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Green-Vegas South Carolina!
Posts: 4,805
Ah, yes, the Pearls. Surely, there is no greater joy than the joy of knowing there are always wingnuts out there wingnuttier than you.

It does make me sad for the children involved. It is abuse, and I am not one to cry abuse at every little thing. What makes them think this is the Christian way anway? I can really see Jesus running around with a weedeater cord, suffering all the little children to be beat by his hand.

Quote:
If your 10-month-old is pitching a fit because he wants to be picked up, then you must reinforce your command with a few stinging swats. You are not punishing him; you are causing him to associate his negative behavior with negative consequences. Never reward bad behavior with indifference. Tell the baby ďNoĒ and give him a swat. If your response is new, he may be offended and scream louder. But continue your normal activities as if you are unaffected. Wait one minute, and then tell the baby to stop crying. If he doesnít, again swat him on his bare legs. You donít need to undress him, turn him over, or make a big deal out of it. Just swat him where any skin is exposed. Continue to act as if you donít notice the fit. Wait two minutes and repeat. Continue until the baby realizes that this is getting worse not better. Most babies will keep it going for 3 or 4 times and then slide to a sitting position and sob it out. When this happens, it signals a surrender, so give him two minutes to get control and then swoop him up as if the fit never happen and give him a big hug, BUT don't hold him in the manner he was demanding. Now remove yourself from the area so as to remove him from association with the past event.
Donít ever hit a small child with your hand. You are too big and the baby is too small. The surface of the skin is where the most nerves are located and where it is easiest to cause pain without any damage to the child. The weight of your hand does little to sting the skin, but can cause bruising or serious damage internally. Babies need training but they do not need to be punished. Never react in anger or frustration. If you loose it, get your self under control before you attempt to discipline a child.[/b]
Wait, I'm confused. You're supposed to swat a 10 month old, but never with your hand? And according to another answer, you are never to use a rod on a child under 12 months, but according to this, you are supposed to swat this child, but not with your hand.
With what then? Air?
HAHAHA! Little Timmy, I let the air hit you and now you'll learn! I'm your mommy, and I am not here to pick you up and love you! I am here to swat you! But not with a rod! And not with my hand either! HAHA!"
__________________

"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."
Reply With Quote
  #6  
May 14th, 2008, 02:17 PM
WNK's Avatar
WNK WNK is offline
Veteran
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 353
Quote:
Holy crap if he doesnt stop crying in a min. swat him again. Thats like the saying you want me to give you something to cry about. Who are these people??[/b]
I'm wondering the same thing

On their site, they talk a lot about Bible-this and Bible-that but don't anywhere have a statement of doctrine, religious affiliation, creed, or statement of beliefs, which makes me suspect that they're some minority extremist group that uses the Bible as a scapegoat to rationalize what they think is the "right" way to train kids.

They state:
Quote:
The Bible and common sense are the foundations for effective parenting.[/b]
which any Christian parent would agree with, but their methods seem to involve picking out one or two Bible verses at random to try to justify what they're doing.

The Bible teaches Christian parents to use Gospel motivation in training children, with forgiveness, and obedience out of love, not fear. What they're teaching is pure Law motivation -- "do this or else."
__________________
<div align="center"> </div>
Reply With Quote
  #7  
May 14th, 2008, 02:59 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 39,051
Lala, I went and looked at that site when I saw it referenced in the Duggar thread. It made me want to vomit. It also made me want to call CPS on any parent who'd admit to following their methods.

Hitting a 10 month old (or a child of any age IMHO) with a weedeater cord is W R O N G!!!
__________________





Reply With Quote
  #8  
May 14th, 2008, 03:58 PM
zzz's Avatar
zzz zzz is offline
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,719
"Later, a plumber's supply line is a good spanking tool. You can get it at Wal-Mart or any hardware store. Ask for a plastic, ľ inch, supply line. They come in different lengths and several colors; so you can have a designer rod to your own taste."
Source

A DESIGNER ROD!?!?!?! It's not a purse or shoes! I am absolutely disgusted and deeply disturbed by that.




Take a look at this craptastic little piece of literature...
Infant Manifesto

Hasn't it been proven over and over that infants cannot be manipulative? My heart aches for these little babies whose parents subscribe to this "parenting method."


"The 7-month-old is already learning the dark art of self-will, and must be wisely, gently, and firmly constrained to yield to authority."
Source

The dark art of self-will?!?! Since when is it a bad thing for a child to have free will? This is just my opinion, but I want my kids to have all the self-will they can possibly muster up. At my daughter's age, self-will means that she wants a cookie or to stay up late, and she can't always get that, but I love that she thinks and wants for herself. At my son's age, self-will means that he wants to be held or nursed, and I couldn't be happier that he wants those things.

As my kids grow older, self-will will mean that they have their own unique personalities and wants, and as adults self-will will be what helps them reach their goals and become successful in whatever careers they want. Maybe I'm reading too much into this one, but pretty much everything these crazy whackos say disturbs me.



Lisa
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #9  
May 14th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Just Nana's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: keenesburg colo
Posts: 15,461
Dang what nut jobs
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #10  
May 14th, 2008, 04:34 PM
MissTorrieIfYou'reNasty's Avatar Co-Host of Heated Debates
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Green-Vegas South Carolina!
Posts: 4,805
Quote:
"Later, a plumber's supply line is a good spanking tool. You can get it at Wal-Mart or any hardware store. Ask for a plastic, ľ inch, supply line. They come in different lengths and several colors; so you can have a designer rod to your own taste."
Source

A DESIGNER ROD!?!?!?! It's not a purse or shoes! I am absolutely disgusted and deeply disturbed by that.




Take a look at this craptastic little piece of literature...
Infant Manifesto

Hasn't it been proven over and over that infants cannot be manipulative? My heart aches for these little babies whose parents subscribe to this "parenting method."


"The 7-month-old is already learning the dark art of self-will, and must be wisely, gently, and firmly constrained to yield to authority."
Source

The dark art of self-will?!?! Since when is it a bad thing for a child to have free will? This is just my opinion, but I want my kids to have all the self-will they can possibly muster up. At my daughter's age, self-will means that she wants a cookie or to stay up late, and she can't always get that, but I love that she thinks and wants for herself. At my son's age, self-will means that he wants to be held or nursed, and I couldn't be happier that he wants those things.

As my kids grow older, self-will will mean that they have their own unique personalities and wants, and as adults self-will will be what helps them reach their goals and become successful in whatever careers they want. Maybe I'm reading too much into this one, but pretty much everything these crazy whackos say disturbs me.



Lisa[/b]
Nope, nope, you pretty much hit it on the nose. This is the kind of parenting philosophy that produced a mass murderer I researched recently. I am still trying to figure out whether it was this parenting or what that exacerbated a situation in his own head......but I digress. It could have had nothing to do with it. It's just interesting.

Anyway, I liked your post.
__________________

"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."
Reply With Quote
  #11  
May 14th, 2008, 04:42 PM
zzz's Avatar
zzz zzz is offline
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,719
Quote:
Nope, nope, you pretty much hit it on the nose. This is the kind of parenting philosophy that produced a mass murderer I researched recently. I am still trying to figure out whether it was this parenting or what that exacerbated a situation in his own head......but I digress. It could have had nothing to do with it. It's just interesting.

Anyway, I liked your post.[/b]
Thanks!

That's interesting. Is there a link or something you can post about that? I'd be interested in the link between his actions later in life and this "parenting style," if there is one.


Lisa
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #12  
May 14th, 2008, 04:50 PM
SugarNSpice's Avatar VBAC Mommy!!!
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: TN
Posts: 6,463
That makes me sick. A child that young should never be "swatted" with ANYTHING! They don't understand it at that age. Poor babies.
__________________
Jamie, mommy to: Jillian 7/19/05 (c-section), Addison 6/4/07 (VBAC),
& Evan 10/16/10 (VBAC)





Reply With Quote
  #13  
May 14th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Little Mrs Sunshine
Guest
Posts: n/a
It's totally disturbing but people have different opinions of what is effective discipline and what is abuse. As you can all guess, I consider this abusive. Obviously some people think its not. I think people have different degrees of what they think is too much. For me a swat on the hand is too much, so this is outright appalling to me. To others, this wouldn't be abuse unless it left black and blue marks. some may say kids bruise easily and its not abuse unless there are broken bones. some may say kids bones break to easily.... there are laws that draw the line FOR us. apparently what they are doing is within the law? if not I don't see how that sight remains running and nothing being done about it. I really dont care what the law says though, if I think something isnt right then to me its not right. I dont think that website is right.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
May 14th, 2008, 05:15 PM
zzz's Avatar
zzz zzz is offline
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,719
Quote:
It's totally disturbing but people have different opinions of what is effective discipline and what is abuse. As you can all guess, I consider this abusive. Obviously some people think its not. I think people have different degrees of what they think is too much. For me a swat on the hand is too much, so this is outright appalling to me. To others, this wouldn't be abuse unless it left black and blue marks. some may say kids bruise easily and its not abuse unless there are broken bones. some may say kids bones break to easily.... there are laws that draw the line FOR us. apparently what they are doing is within the law? if not I don't see how that sight remains running and nothing being done about it. I really dont care what the law says though, if I think something isnt right then to me its not right. I dont think that website is right.[/b]
I agree... I think some of that stuff would actually be enough to get a conviction. For anything to actually happen, someone would have to report an individual parent taking action like swatting with a weedeater cord, otherwise it is completely legal to post this kind of hooey on the internet.


Lisa
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #15  
May 14th, 2008, 05:17 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,383
We did this debate a while back. They are disgusting horrible people and I can't understand how they are not in jail for writting a how to manual on child abuse. the last debate got pretty ugly and long.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
May 14th, 2008, 05:25 PM
zzz's Avatar
zzz zzz is offline
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,719
Quote:
We did this debate a while back. They are disgusting horrible people and I can't understand how they are not in jail for writting a how to manual on child abuse. the last debate got pretty ugly and long.[/b]
I was just thinking that this has the potential to become quite the discussion. I'm off to look for that thread.


Lisa
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #17  
May 14th, 2008, 06:03 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,383
http://www.justmommies.com/boards/index.ph...=222640&hl=
http://www.justmommies.com/boards/index.ph...INFANT+SPANKING
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
May 14th, 2008, 06:05 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 39,051
Yeah I'd be interested to see the other one. I don't remember it from before.

I'd like to see someone trying to defend that bunch of bull!
__________________





Reply With Quote
  #20  
May 14th, 2008, 06:09 PM
zzz's Avatar
zzz zzz is offline
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,719
Thanks crunchymama!


Lisa
__________________


Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:01 AM.