Babywise

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 15th, 2008, 07:35 AM
})i({~Jackie~})i({
"A mom who picks up her baby and offers the breast each time her baby cries is teaching her baby that food is the source of comfort, not mom. This explains why Marisa is not easily comforted by secondary caregivers. I tmay also help explain the obesity problem of our nation's youth and why so many adults turn to food for stress relief. They have been trained that way from the beginning. We are not trying to express an inevitable cause-and-effect relationship between a fat baby and a fat adolescent later on. However, poor eating habits in infancy may result in eventual obesity. Overfeeding or disregarding healthy eating patters early on could be to blame."

pg. 140 Babywise

Thoughts on the advice from the wonderful Babywise?
May 15th, 2008, 07:53 AM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That makes me laugh. Clearly baby(notso)wise haven't done much breastfeeding research. From what I know and have experienced, comfort suckling at the breast is different from feeding at the breast.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

May 15th, 2008, 08:14 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can bet money that they didnt breastfeed and/or have a successful bfing relationship. Furthermore, comfort sucking has shown in research & statistics to strengthen the bond, result in fewer attachment issues, a stronger trust bond, more independence, etc. AND it also has the added benefit of establishing & maintaining an adequate supply, something most babywise moms struggle with (and theres no wonder why).

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
May 15th, 2008, 08:21 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can't overfeed a breastfed baby.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
May 15th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Isn't it nearly impossible for a bf baby to be overweight? Where on earth did they get this information?

Lisa

May 15th, 2008, 04:07 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A mom who picks up her baby and offers the breast each time her baby cries is teaching her baby that food is the source of comfort, not mom."

I'd love to know what backs that statement up.......

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

May 15th, 2008, 04:21 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Imagine how fat we all were back in the olden times before formula was made! (because we all know how Babywise kills lactation).

May 15th, 2008, 05:03 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
BabyWise is one of the worst parenting books out there. the AAP has issued a statement on the book because its advice has led to dehydrated sick underweight babies.
May 15th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Tofu Bacon
It defies logic. A baby is still learning what hunger is; to schedule their feedings and make them wait until "it's time" seems to me like its undermining baby's ability to learn the connection of hungry feeling + milk = no more hungry feelings. "I feel that hungry feeling, but mom is not feeding me...I guess I'm not hungry then." Does that make sense?
May 15th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I do not have a response for that but ***???
May 15th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
It defies logic. A baby is still learning what hunger is; to schedule their feedings and make them wait until "it's time" seems to me like its undermining baby's ability to learn the connection of hungry feeling + milk = no more hungry feelings. "I feel that hungry feeling, but mom is not feeding me...I guess I'm not hungry then." Does that make sense?[/b]

That makes perfect sense. What this is teaching your baby is that they have a need that mom and dad will not meet. That's been proven to produce kids with self confidence issues, among other things, the least of them being that the baby will whither away.

Lisa

May 15th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Veteran
I'm very new to debates in general so please forgive me if I'm out of line. All of BabyWise books should be taken off the shelves and burned along with anything Dr. Phil writes.

May 15th, 2008, 10:20 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I'm very new to debates in general so please forgive me if I'm out of line. All of BabyWise books should be taken off the shelves and burned along with anything Dr. Phil writes.[/b]
You aren't out of line & WELCOME to the debates!

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

May 15th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Tofu Bacon
I kept mine for reference purposes; the author revises them every few years to take out the controversial stuff. Mine are from the early 1990s and are waaaay worse than the newer editions.
May 15th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I'm very new to debates in general so please forgive me if I'm out of line. All of BabyWise books should be taken off the shelves and burned along with anything Dr. Phil writes.[/b]
I love Dr. Phil!

May 16th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Quote:
You aren't out of line & WELCOME to the debates!
[/b]
Thank you!

Quote:
Quote:
I love Dr. Phil!
[/b]
I'm sorry.

May 16th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Little Mrs Sunshine
Quote:
"A mom who picks up her baby and offers the breast each time her baby cries is teaching her baby that food is the source of comfort, not mom. This explains why Marisa is not easily comforted by secondary caregivers.

pg. 140 Babywise[/b]
that is actually the stupidest thing Ive ever heard. How does that explain why Marisa is not comforted by secondary caregivers? If anything it PROVES mom is the source of comfort, because when the secondary caregiver has food its not comforting because its not coming from mom. I mean the statement itself is beyond idiotic. It would certainly make me second guess anything I read in that book if I did think any of it was sensible I'd probably change my mind after reading something like that.

that being said I think you should offer your breast every time baby is HUNGRY not everytime baby cries. (although I do believe in comfort nursing if you take care of their needs and they just need comfort) same goes for formula feeding. If the baby is crying because her diaper is wet - change her diaper not give her food. but the statement made in that book was actually contradictory.

Quote:
BabyWise is one of the worst parenting books out there. the AAP has issued a statement on the book because its advice has led to dehydrated sick underweight babies.[/b]
how heartbreaking
May 16th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Just Nana's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is about one of the stupidest comments I have ever heard

May 16th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Tofu Bacon
God forbid a baby actually forms an attachment with his mother . I mean really, why is it considered a good thing to be able to hand baby off and he couldn't care less?
May 16th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Little Mrs Sunshine
Quote:
God forbid a baby actually forms an attachment with his mother . I mean really, why is it considered a good thing to be able to hand baby off and he couldn't care less?[/b]
thats actually a bit of a scary thought if you ask me!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search