Music Restrictions

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 15th, 2008, 03:35 PM
irishxrose
Will you censor and restrict what music your child listens to? Are there certain genres that they will not be allowed to listen to? What are your reasons?
May 15th, 2008, 03:44 PM
DavidandJaidonsmomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not entirely...I dont think all music is age appropriate, but kids will hear a lot of stuff wether I ban it or not. I intend to have discussions with my children about the lyrics in the music they listen too. I wasnt allowed to listen to ANY secular music as a child and all it did was make me feel distanced from my peers even to this day. I think the key is to openly talk to your kids about the music and how it relates to the real world. I listen to pretty much everything, but I do listen to a lot of rap/r&b music and although a lot of rap says the stupidest (is that a word) crap I've ever heard of I really like the beats. I think its important to teach my children that everything a rapper says is not appropriate in the real world.

Bree - Mom to David - 10 & Jaidon - 8
Baby#3:
Beta 4/25 @ 16dpo 622 4/29 @ 20dpo 2013
10wk hb 172

May 15th, 2008, 03:55 PM
irishxrose
Quote:
Not entirely...I dont think all music is age appropriate, but kids will hear a lot of stuff wether I ban it or not. I intend to have discussions with my children about the lyrics in the music they listen too. I wasnt allowed to listen to ANY secular music as a child and all it did was make me feel distanced from my peers even to this day. I think the key is to openly talk to your kids about the music and how it relates to the real world. I listen to pretty much everything, but I do listen to a lot of rap/r&b music and although a lot of rap says the stupidest (is that a word) crap I've ever heard of I really like the beats. I think its important to teach my children that everything a rapper says is not appropriate in the real world.[/b]
I agree. I won't censor what my son listens to, but I will have discussions with him on the lyrics, and have an open discussion on it. I listen to everything too, although my son seems to prefer rock music over rap.
May 15th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Veteran
I am pretty hip, but no rap will be played in my house, car or by any of my children. I also despise the really heavy metal stuff. I am pretty hip, I grew up listening to Madonna, Cher, Def Lepard, Prince, and the list goes on and on. I used to disagree with all the music banning organizations and used to laugh at the bad lists, because I didn't even know that half of the songs were bad. LOL!!

I do know that songs that are full of 4 letter words, rape, disrespect for women and murder are bad. No one should listen to these songs and even though I believe in freedom of speech these songs disgust me. These songs make me feel like I need to take a shower--I am horrifed what ever happened to "I like big butts."

My daughter is 10 and she already knows that these songs are degrading to women and unacceptable--plus most of them are just plain noise and hurt my ears.
May 15th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Instead of censoring, I hope to bring my kids up to realize what is appropriate, so hopefully they won't want to listen to music that has more profane words than not. I hope to instill in my kids that that kind of music is degrading and insulting to women (most of the time) and sometimes glorifies gang life or drug use, so hopefully they won't want to put time or effort into listening to it. (I realize that doesn't always work, though!)

There will definitely be open discussion about any type of music they choose to listen to - I hope to not have to censor, but if they are listening to something I really, really disapprove of, then I will censor. I think it will be on an artist to artist/song to song basis if I have to go that route.

Lisa

May 15th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Instead of censoring, I hope to bring my kids up to realize what is appropriate, so hopefully they won't want to listen to music that has more profane words than not. I hope to instill in my kids that that kind of music is degrading and insulting to women (most of the time) and sometimes glorifies gang life or drug use, so hopefully they won't want to put time or effort into listening to it. (I realize that doesn't always work, though!)

There will definitely be open discussion about any type of music they choose to listen to - I hope to not have to censor, but if they are listening to something I really, really disapprove of, then I will censor. I think it will be on an artist to artist/song to song basis if I have to go that route.

Lisa[/b]
This sounds like a really appropriate approach; we plan on doing pretty much the same. Just saying "this music is bad; don't listen to it" doesn't have nearly the same effect as actually talking about the message behind the lyrics and what the artist is promoting, and why that message is inappropriate or bad.
May 15th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Little Mrs Sunshine
Quote:

Lisa[/b]
May 15th, 2008, 05:53 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
I do plan on getting my toe in this door when the time comes. I was censored as a child, but it doesn't really work once they get to the age of dances, because they'll hear it anyways.

I listen to all types of music, I don't even know the words to half of the songs I listen to, because I don't care to. I like the beat so I listen to it.

The only person I REFUSE to allow in my home atm is Marilyn Manson, but that's a personal issue. I don't like him, I won't have him at all.

Other than that, I'll just make sure my children understand what is appropriate and what is not. It's getting tougher and tougher to do it, even country has things that aren't ok for kids anymore.

May 15th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My DH and I are a couple of old metal-heads (DH moreso than me, I'll admit) so it takes something pretty radical to shock us. However, we will try to shield our kids from really inappropriate stuff (lyrics mostly, because music is just music) for as long as we can. Right now they are too little to understand the lyrics of most music, and as they get older I'm going to make sure that DH or I screen what they're listening to. We might ban some things on a case by case basis, but we really take the viewpoint that most music doesn't really hurt anybody. We are also going to make sure we transmit to them that music is entertaining but is NOT always based on real life (like TV and other entertainment media.) Hopefully they'll get it.

May 15th, 2008, 09:27 PM
whatever
I never thought I would have restrictions…until my kids became old enough to listen to offensive music. lol I play it by ear when it comes to music. I don’t go by ages or genres. Even old music has some lyrics that make me cringe. As funny as it sounds, I don't really enjoy my 12 year old singing "I'm a joker, I'm a smoker, I'm a midnight Toker" We talk about music a lot and the lyrics.

They did want an eminem CD a year or so ago, and I gave that plan the kibosh. At eleven and Twelve I really did not think eminem was appropriate.
May 15th, 2008, 11:53 PM
MissTorrieIfYou'reNasty's Avatar Co-Host of Heated Debates
My mother never attempted to censor anything I listened to. And my favorite bands were Type O Negative, Cradle Of Filth, Nightwish, and Marilyn Manson.

I turned out alright.

Seriously. First of all, much to much is made out of Manson. You think Manson's bad? I'll show you stuff to make your hair curl. And it won't kill ya either.
How much I am of the metal I know and love am I going to expose to my son? I don't know. I know media has effects on us in ways we don't even realize sometimes. But on the other hand, despite all the loud angry music I have listened too over the years, I am not the demon worshiping mother raping murdering sadist all my friends' parents were sure I would be. I'm really just a normal person who stays home and takes care of her son.
I think what might be more important than the content of the media is the context you put it into for them.

"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."
May 16th, 2008, 12:23 AM
pixie_punk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
My mother never attempted to censor anything I listened to. And my favorite bands were Type O Negative, Cradle Of Filth, Nightwish, and Marilyn Manson.

I turned out alright.

Seriously. First of all, much to much is made out of Manson. You think Manson's bad? I'll show you stuff to make your hair curl. And it won't kill ya either.
How much I am of the metal I know and love am I going to expose to my son? I don't know. I know media has effects on us in ways we don't even realize sometimes. But on the other hand, despite all the loud angry music I have listened too over the years, I am not the demon worshiping mother raping murdering sadist all my friends' parents were sure I would be. I'm really just a normal person who stays home and takes care of her son.
I think what might be more important than the content of the media is the context you put it into for them.[/b]
I agree. Plus, I don't particularly like Manson's music (but not because it's "offensive"), but I think the man himself is pretty intelligent and I respect him. Also I know there are FAR worse artists out there. There's one band, and I think their very name would get censored on this board, who just don't even put any thought into their lyrics and just go for the most offensive shock they can get.

When I was six my favourite band was Green Day (they're still one of my favourite bands). This was like 1995 when all their songs were about smoking weed and masturbating... I didn't get that at the time, I just thought they were fun. I got into heavier and more aggressive punk rock a few years later, mostly through my brothers. There is a fair amount of swearing in some of that music, but overall for a lot of those bands the lyrics actually carry really positive messages and I think that's more important than an f-bomb here or there.

The only thing I'd ban him from listening to is (most) rap and country, just because I find it so overwhelmingly annoying. j/k

I can only think of one song that's offended me to the point that to this day I don't care to listen to the band (...actually I don't listen to them because I didn't really care for any of their songs before the one I dislike so much)... and it's by a Christian band.

There are two girls with whom I've known longer than anyone, and my debt to them is lifetime. The gathering of boys I rely on know exactly who they are and I would build their protection with bloody hands. - 36 Crazyfists
</div>
May 16th, 2008, 07:40 AM
first_time_mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
in my opinion, if you raise your children to know whats right and wrong then there is no real need to censor what they are listening too. if you tell a teenager not to do something because you think its inappropriate, alot of them are gonna do it just to shock you, whether they actually enjoy that music or not.

i think its important to discuss what the artist is about and making sure that they understand that alot of people use music as an outlet for anger and frustration from their lives and dont actually mean that they are gonna go and do what they are talking about.

Communication with your child is so important, if you can trust them then you can trust them to make the decision on what music they want to listen too.

Robyn, wife to Steven, mom to Jake (7th Aug 2007)
May 16th, 2008, 10:46 AM
mommywannabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Right now we do some censoring of the music my 12 year old DSD listens to. We have for a while. She really only has CDs that are like...Miley Cirus and Hanna Montana..hah....but as far as radio goes, if she's with us we keep a close listen to whats on the car radio. If there is a song talking about "touch my body" or "loosen up my buttons babe" then I turn the station. Yes they're just lyrics, but for a preteen girl with self esteem issues, they can be much much more than that. If the popular songs are talking about having sex how its so cool, then how's that NOT effect girls her age? She is at the age now that she KNOWS what she should and shouldnt be listening to. And thank goodness for her bible study group at our church because she really learns so much from the high school girls in there. She just came home a couple weeks ago talking about this very subject. How she didn't want to be listening to the music that her friends listen to, how she finally understands that things like music and television CAN have an affect on her everyday thinking because once your desensatized to something, then it becomes the norm and for us, we dont want to be the norm. The norm isnt always right. If the norm is seeing 12 year old girls walk around with thongs hanging out of their pants, then you better believe I dont want her being the norm!! Anyway, we do discuss the music lyrics and she knows what is appropriate and what is not. And since I listen to just about everything, and as an adult I dont censor my choice of music when I'm alone....if she's with me and a song comes on that I like but the lyrics aren't appropriate, she'll just kind of look at me like "I'm in the car!" haha. For my son, we'll do the same thing. Stear him towards music that we think is appropriate and censor what we think is not based on age and content. I can't stop him from listening to it at a friend's house or other places, but I can control what he listens to while with me and that's what I'll do.
But that just works for me.

Casey

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search