Federal Charges Brought Against Lori Drew in Megan Meier Case.

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 16th, 2008, 07:58 PM
MissTorrieIfYou'reNasty's Avatar Co-Host of Heated Debates
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-my...0,3642392.story

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=4861399&page=1

I am not sure how I feel about this. On one hand when I do hope there is a hell, it's so people like Lori Drew can go. On the other hand can anyone ever really take responsibility for another's actions? Especially actions as personal and complicated as suicide? What do you think?

"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."
May 16th, 2008, 09:39 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
I don't know. My husband and I were talking about this earlier...it's such a fine line. The point he made which I wasn't sure how to retort to was, you can't really harass someone online that doesn't want to be harassed. You simply block their e-mail or block their screen name, put them on ignore, whatever - maybe they'd make a new name, but you can block that, too. So, IDK. I'm more on the side of she should be held responsible in some way, because she definitely did harass and she definitely is an adult...but I sincerely doubt the kid's suicide was only from the MySpace page...

May 17th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
You can't harass someone who doesn't want to be harassed, but this was a child and we all know children do not always make the best decisions for themselves and need to be protected. By that vein you can blame a child who has been kidnapped for it because if he hadn't gotten so close to that stranger, he wouldn't have been kidnapped. If you were talking about another adult I'm all for the personal responsibility argument but since we're talking about a child, I think a higher order of protection is warranted.

That said, I believe this is a very dangerous potentially slippery slope whereby even if not convicted, people's lives could be ruined by charges like this. What if you get into a heated debate wiht some unstable person and they kill themselves? will you be brought up on charges for being so mean to them that they ended it all? I just don't like the implications of it at all.

What this woman did was cruel and inexcusable but I'm not sure being mean should be a crime.

May 17th, 2008, 07:56 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
It wasn't just "harassing" though. She made up a page that was a boy who pretended to like this girl. So she had no reason to block "him." She thought this boy liked her and he gained her trust. Then she found out that it was all a mean joke that had been played on her.

I think this woman needs to face some type of punishment for what she has done. I find it incredibly sad that a grown woman doesn't know any better.

May 17th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Just Nana's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Unfortunatly it is not a crime to be stupid. What this grown woman did was wrong wrong wrong. What should her punishment be I truly dont know. I dont believe the little girl killed her self based on this one thing along based on the article itself but could this have been the straw that broke the camels back could have been. I think the fact that this was a grown woman who should have known better makes it worse than kid on kid bullying.

May 17th, 2008, 01:32 PM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
I think this is one of those emotionally charged cases. Most people read about what happened and are outraged - as they should be. You'd think you could expect more from a grown woman. So, people automatically jump to the conclusion that she should be punished and that if there is no law against what she did than one should be made. I disagree. What she did was horrible; what happened was horrible but I don't think that necessarily means laws were broken.

"Authentic love is not a vague sentiment or a blind passion. It is an inner attitude that involves the whole human person. It is looking to the other, not to use but to serve. It is rejoicing when the other rejoices and suffers when the other suffers. Love is the gift of self." JPII
May 17th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I believe she should go to prison. This "woman" knew that the girl was having a hard time. She knew that she was fragile and she exploited it. She knew it would cause pain and tormet to a child. I think at the least she should be charged with child abuse.
DS-Sully(4)
DS-Gus(2)

May 17th, 2008, 05:41 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
After reading the website Lori Drew made a few months ago, I definitely think she needs to be charged.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
May 17th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Quote:
After reading the website Lori Drew made a few months ago, I definitely think she needs to be charged.[/b]
Are you talking about MeganHaditcoming at Blogspot? I read that and was horrified. There were passages in there that indicated that she had her daughter help write it!!

Suffering from the learning disabilities I did and just generally being different, I was subjected to a tremendous amount of bullying as a child. Nothing in my life has driven me closer to suicide. If I had ever been the type to really consider things like that, that's the time in my life it would have happened. So I acknowledge that this is a highly emotionally charged situation for me.
What's the worst? Megan went to her GRAVE never knowing that "Josh" never existed. She died for a lie and she will never know. That's horrible. Lori Drew is an evil hag. Even if the defense sucks her entire life savings and she ends up in prison anyway, her daughter never speaks to her again, her husband divorces her, and a mob bearing pitchforks and torches beats her so severly that she walks with a limp and suffers searing pain in her vagina for the rest of her life, that won't be enough suffering for me. Her actions were that heinous. They are not produced by insanity the way most murderer's actions are. They are produced by sheer malice and evil.

But, hey, the world is not perfect, and despite my anger, I have to acknowledge that of course she shouldn't be beaten and I shouldn't wish for her suffering. So I try not to. I also just don't know how I feel about these charges. It's kinda a mental backflip, no? If we need to dig that hard to find a crime commited, maybe there was no crime committed.

Oh, boy, I do wish there was something that horrible woman could go to prison for.

May 17th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Quote:
After reading the website Lori Drew made a few months ago, I definitely think she needs to be charged.[/b]
Are you talking about MeganHaditcoming at Blogspot? I read that and was horrified. There were passages in there that indicated that she had her daughter help write it!!

Suffering from the learning disabilities I did and just generally being different, I was subjected to a tremendous amount of bullying as a child. Nothing in my life has driven me closer to suicide. If I had ever been the type to really consider things like that, that's the time in my life it would have happened. So I acknowledge that this is a highly emotionally charged situation for me.
What's the worst? Megan went to her GRAVE never knowing that "Josh" never existed. She died for a lie and she will never know. That's horrible. Lori Drew is an evil hag. Even if the defense sucks her entire life savings and she ends up in prison anyway, her daughter never speaks to her again, her husband divorces her, and a mob bearing pitchforks and torches beats her so severly that she walks with a limp and suffers searing pain in her vagina for the rest of her life, that won't be enough suffering for me. Her actions were that heinous. They are not produced by insanity the way most murderer's actions are. They are produced by sheer malice and evil.

But, hey, the world is not perfect, and despite my anger, I have to acknowledge that of course she shouldn't be beaten and I shouldn't wish for her suffering. So I try not to. I also just don't know how I feel about these charges. It's kinda a mental backflip, no? If we need to dig that hard to find a crime commited, maybe there was no crime committed.

Oh, boy, I do wish there was something that horrible woman could go to prison for.
[/b]
*note to self* Don't make Torrie angry!

May 18th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
That website was proven to be a hoax, written by someone that didn't Lori Drew didn't even know. I tried to find the article that said that, but all I could find were dead links.

I definitely think she deserves the charges. She KNEW that Megan was unstable to begin with, there was no excuse. Even if she didn't have a history of depression, she was 13! Grow up and get a life - a grown woman has NO business harassing a little girl. She deserves whatever sentence she gets, if any.

Lisa

May 18th, 2008, 09:48 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She's a sick, sick #####.

It's a complicated case because the girl had a history of depression and could have possibly ended up committing suicide at a later point. In life there's always going to be situations that hurt and could push someone over the edge into taking their own life. The difference here is that this woman knew that the girl had issues and chose to hurt her. I think she definitely played a part in the girl's death, and morally she's guilty, but legally they don't have much to work with. Although I'm glad that they are pressing what charges they can.

In any case, I think she's accumulated some really bad karma.

May 18th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Gracey and Evan's Ma
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
Ditto.

It makes me so sad.. If Lori Drew didnt KNOW that it would get to the girl and really upset her, she wouldnt have done it. She may not have known that it would push the girl over the edge to the point of killing herself, but she knew that the girl had enough issues that it could traumatize her. I definitely think its child abuse if nothing else. It is emotionally charged, but it IS harassment. You can hang up a phone too, but if someone calls you nonstop-bullying you, its still harassment...as it should be.

Personally, I think she should suffer as much as possible.
May 18th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Xx5Xy1+'s Avatar What's your superpower?
If these things had been done by Megan's parents, they would have been charged with child abuse (and probably several other charges). It should be no different for this woman. What she did was abusive and it resulted in the death of a young girl.

Thank you 3Daughters for my AWESOME siggy!

Hoping to add a new member to our family through adoption in August 2011
~*~
I am a sleep deprived, pro-life, homebirth supporting, babywearing, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, non-vaxing, attachment parenting, conservative thinking, Constitution defending, gun owning, Torah learning, US Army Veteran who is married to her hero... A US Army Soldier! If this offends you, then stop reading my signature!
May 18th, 2008, 02:31 PM
From the "Bad Choice of Words" catagory comes the story on Good Morning America.

They ran an interview with Ashley Grills, one of the conspirators. At the end of the piece, the reporter said, "Be careful what you say online, because someone might be hanging on to every word."

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, man? dude? seriously? I feel like I am going to be meeting Lori Drew in hell for laughing at that. Surely we could have chosen a better word.

May 18th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Yeah that was most definitely a poor choice of words to say the least.

May 19th, 2008, 04:20 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:

I could not agree more!!!! I am soooo glad they were able to press charges. Not necessarily to get her in prison but to stop anyone else from doing the same thing.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
Ditto.

It makes me so sad.. If Lori Drew didnt KNOW that it would get to the girl and really upset her, she wouldnt have done it. She may not have known that it would push the girl over the edge to the point of killing herself, but she knew that the girl had enough issues that it could traumatize her. I definitely think its child abuse if nothing else. It is emotionally charged, but it IS harassment. You can hang up a phone too, but if someone calls you nonstop-bullying you, its still harassment...as it should be.

Personally, I think she should suffer as much as possible.
[/b]
OMG Lacey I LOVE the new pic!!!!
May 20th, 2008, 12:22 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Have no fear, Torrie ... she apparently is definitely destined for hell http://pysih.com/2007/11/19/lori-drew/

As to the original question, I do think that this woman should be charged and serve time for what has happened here. The "you can't harass someone if they don't want it" is what people used to say about being harassed at your job (just quit!), on the playground (just walk away!) or in a marriage (get a divorce!) Now we take harassment and bullying seriously, but not when it's online apparently.

It's seriously painful to me to think that there is a person out there (a mother, at that, who has a child) that could possibly think this was ok to do. The world is a bizarre place.

May 20th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Sweetpea0708's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She should be punished for endangerment of a minor. She obviously knew this girl was unstable, and sought to torment her.

It's hard to charge her for the actual death, because we don't know or will know she INTENDED the girl to kill herself. Harass, torment, yes. I think that she wanted to push her buttons so she should ALSO be charged with conspiracy or accomplice to murder (I don't know how they would word it being that it was a suicide),but again it's a fine line. It will be interesting to see how it turns out. Definitely it is an endangerment of a minor case.

May 21st, 2008, 09:11 AM
Tiffers's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There's a reason there are different types of "murder" charges. A drunk doesn't mean to kill anyone when he decides to drive home after drinking, but it happens and he's held responsible.

Quote:
involuntary manslaughter
: manslaughter resulting from the failure to perform a legal duty expressly required to safeguard human life, from the commission of an unlawful act not amounting to a felony, or from the commission of a lawful act involving a risk of injury or death that is done in an unlawful, reckless, or grossly negligent manner[/b]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search