Fired for "wizardry"

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 19th, 2008, 01:19 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
LAND O' LAKES -- A Florida substitute teacher said his job disappeared after he did a magic trick in front of his students.

Substitute teacher Jim Piculas made a toothpick disappear, then reappear, in front of a classroom at Rushe Middle School in Land O'Lakes.

The Pasco County School District said the trick is just one of the reasons Piculas was let go.[/b]
Teacher

What do you think?

Was your first reaction ?

May 19th, 2008, 03:32 PM
whatever
I don't know if I should laugh or cry.
May 19th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Little Mrs Sunshine
i think that is bizarre. I had a teacher grab my arm so hard it broke the skin and left a bruise for a week and she didnt get fired. and this guy gets fired for a "magic trick". there is something wrong.
May 19th, 2008, 04:50 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
I think this is retarded.

People should assume, when your kids have a substitute teacher, nothing can go as smoothly as a lesson plan! Only the actual teacher who made up the plan can follow it to a T, and when you've got a Sub, the kids often make their life heck anyways. Of course he's going to be a wee bit easier. And how can a school have computers that aren't approved? Shouldn't any machine in the building be approved?

Sigh.. people fire people for stupid things. And the child who was "traumatized" by the magic trick should be seen by someone. Honestly. if the child can't handle a slide of hand trick, they're not going to be ready for the real world when they get out there one day.

I was picked up and thrown on the floor by a teacher when I was 6 and to this day she still substitutes. She wasn't allowed to teach in our school for several years, and then we had her for almost an entire year when a teacher broke her leg... and it was a year of heck for me. I wish they'd have permanently fired her.

May 19th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Veteran
This reminds me of the Alltel commercial where they summon the "Wizard"! I'm sorry, I seen that commercial 10 times Saturday during the race in our suite. Very annoying!

I wonder what the other reasons were.

May 20th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My "first" reaction was that there had to be more to the story.

Here's another excerpt from the above link :

The assistant superintendent said Piculas had other issues, such as not following lesson plans and allowing students to play on computers that were not approved.

A letter sent to Picula from the supervisor of substitute teachers informing him that he would not he hired again did not mention the word "wizardry."

Because he is a substitute teacher, the district does not have to have cause for not bringing him back to teach.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
May 20th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I wonder why he doesn't use his magical powers to put a spell on the school board and get his job back.

May 20th, 2008, 07:37 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I wonder why he doesn't use his magical powers to put a spell on the school board and get his job back.[/b]

May 20th, 2008, 11:10 AM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it's a classic case of a small truth in a bigger story being spun into the "main attraction" for the scandal/excitement factor. And I work in media, so I know it's not unusual if you have an editor who likes that sort of thing ...

Clearly the guy was fired for several reasons, but the "splashy" one made the lead of the story. At best, it's misleading; at worst, it's inflammatory. This school district/principal/board is probably under fire now for a totally valid dismissal.

May 20th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I think it's a classic case of a small truth in a bigger story being spun into the "main attraction" for the scandal/excitement factor. And I work in media, so I know it's not unusual if you have an editor who likes that sort of thing ...

Clearly the guy was fired for several reasons, but the "splashy" one made the lead of the story. At best, it's misleading; at worst, it's inflammatory. This school district/principal/board is probably under fire now for a totally valid dismissal.[/b]
ITA!

I see that kind of headline all the time. It's just there to draw people in.

May 20th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Quote:

Clearly the guy was fired for several reasons, but the "splashy" one made the lead of the story. At best, it's misleading; at worst, it's inflammatory. This school district/principal/board is probably under fire now for a totally valid dismissal.[/b]
I agree. Unless I missed something in the story above, all we know is that "he said" they wouldn't hire him to substitute anymore because of "wizardry".

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
May 20th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Sweetpea0708's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's easy to assume that you got fired for the last thing you did....if I came in late all the time, called out sick, took lots of breaks and then decided to eat a PBJ sandwich at my desk (which is not allowed), and got fired, I might easily say, "I got fired for eating a sandwich while preggo" not considering that I already had numerous other offenses.

May 20th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Marian_the_Librarian's Avatar Member
All I want to know is how a child becomes "traumatized" over a disappearing toothpick. The guy's dismissal may be totally valid, it's impossible to tell from the article. But this
Quote:
Piculas says the parent of a traumatized student complained after he performed the toothpick trick.[/b]
is in the realm of the ridiculous.

"You did what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did better."
--Maya Angelou
May 21st, 2008, 11:43 AM
He should feel fortunate he doesn't live here:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,356896,00.html
NAIROBI, Kenya Officials say a mob in western Kenya has burned to death 11 people suspected of being witches and wizards.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search