Lotus births?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 20th, 2008, 09:40 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Having only recently heard about the concept of a lotus birth, I'm still quite fascinated by the whole thing (see definition here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_Birth)

One of the reasons that some practitioners of this give for doing it is that it provides a gentler, more peaceful transition from womb to life, reducing birth trauma for the infant (this is only one of many reasons that most people choose this.)

This has had me thinking a lot about birth and how much of it has a long-term impact on the child.

To be honest, I don't know that I believe that the "trauma" of being born is something that haunts or damages a person through their lives .... but I could be wrong

I'd love to hear what other people think about this: how much does a traumatic birth affect a child in the long-term; do they remember it in one form or another? And, as for the lotus birth, has anyone done this and would like to share their reasons for it? Is anyone considering it? Or would you consider it?

May 20th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Lonomia
I am planning on having a lotus birth for my son's upcoming birth. I don't believe that the cutting of the cord is traumatic or negative. I feel that the placenta/cord are a part of the newborn and should be left to separate naturally (by drying out). Just my two cents...
May 20th, 2008, 10:47 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I've read up about it because I've heard someone here mention it before a long time ago. I just don't know if I could do it. I saw my placenta and it turned my stomach a bit. I know it's supposed to be a beautiful thing and I did appreciate the amazing ability it had to help connect me to my son and keep him nourished but it wasn't at all appealing to look at. I really know if I could keep it near me for several days. In some ways it seems unsanitary and I'd be afraid it would stink.

Then again I know that I most likely feel this way because it just isn't something that's normally done here you know? It's not "normal" in our culture so I've never had the chance to get past the yuck factor.

When we have another child I would like to delay cord cutting.

May 20th, 2008, 10:49 PM
mommyKathyX3
eh, whatever. You wanna do it, have fun. I dont want to do it, and as long as you dont look down on me for NOT doing it, I wish anyone the BEST for doing it. I think "birth trama" has about NOTHING to do with when the cord is cut and that kind of stuff. I think lotus birth, its more about symbolic rituals and meanings. If someone want to do that, more power. Just not my cup o tea.
May 20th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Super Mommy
I definitely wouldn't do it, but if someone wants to then go for it!
May 21st, 2008, 12:49 AM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
hmm... this sounds interesting... and like something I may want to look into.
May 21st, 2008, 05:52 AM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Iv read about this before and to be honest,I dont know why some people would even think that cutting the cord is traumatic for the baby.Even animals bite through their new borns cord to detach it from the placenta as soon as its born,so I dont get why anyone would think that keeping the baby attached to a rotting placenta is beneficial
Firstly,once the baby is born,the cord and placenta are redundant,they no longer serve a purpose and start to dry up..there is no need for a "transition period" or time for the baby to "slowly let go of its mothers body".The babys body starts to function alone once the placenta detatches from the mothers uterus wall..thats how long nature intended the transition period to last.After that,having the placenta attached is just that...having it attached.Its not helping with "transition" because that took place at the birth.

I think that having a baby attached to a huge rotting peice of tissue for longer than nature intended (as I said,even animals cut the cord at birth) is (and not meaning to be disrespectful but I cant think of another word) gross.Ok,so its all wrapped up in something pretty and dipped in herbs etc,but its still a rotting peice of meat kwim?
How do these people take their baby out? Once it detaches,what do they do with it? Its huge!!

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

May 21st, 2008, 07:00 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know people that have done it. I see no negative side effects on the "debate" side of this, but not enough positives for me to do it myself

May 21st, 2008, 08:22 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've considered doing it when I finally get my homebirth one day. I think it's kind of neat, to be honest.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
May 21st, 2008, 08:59 AM
Tiffers's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Iv read about this before and to be honest,I dont know why some people would even think that cutting the cord is traumatic for the baby.Even animals bite through their new borns cord to detach it from the placenta as soon as its born,so I dont get why anyone would think that keeping the baby attached to a rotting placenta is beneficial [/b]
That's exactly what I was thinking. When I try to think what is "natural", I look to nature. When my cat delivered her kittens, biting the cord was one of the first things she did.
May 21st, 2008, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Iv read about this before and to be honest,I dont know why some people would even think that cutting the cord is traumatic for the baby.Even animals bite through their new borns cord to detach it from the placenta as soon as its born,so I dont get why anyone would think that keeping the baby attached to a rotting placenta is beneficial [/b]
That's exactly what I was thinking. When I try to think what is "natural", I look to nature. When my cat delivered her kittens, biting the cord was one of the first things she did.
[/b]
That was my point lol.
I have seen my kids horses/ponys give birth,one of our dogs,and a few cats and they ALL chewed through their new borns cord AS SOON as it was out.If animals do it,then its how nature intended it to be if you ask me.I dont know why us humans are so incredibly sensitive and special that we need to do yukky things like this in order to adjust to the world
Transition is done and dusted once the baby is born..theres absolutely no need to carry a placenta around.If a cord stump gets in the way for diaper changes and baths,god knows how Id get around a whole placenta! lol.
I just think its very un-natural and un-necesary..very hippy.

May 21st, 2008, 09:58 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Well if you think we should do what animals do are you prepared to bite through the cord? LOL YUCK!

May 21st, 2008, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Well if you think we should do what animals do are you prepared to bite through the cord? LOL YUCK![/b]
EWW! No way! I just dont think I could eat the placenta all by myself anyway

May 21st, 2008, 10:10 AM
Tiffers's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Well if you think we should do what animals do are you prepared to bite through the cord? LOL YUCK![/b]
LOL - that's why I pay my OB the big bucks to do what he was trained to do. I guess if you really wanted to be natural, you should be eating the cord and placenta too like animals do

More power to anyone who wants to do it (shoot, I'd really love to take my placenta home with me and bury it by a tree to "honor" what it's done to give my child life), but I don't think going the clamping and cutting route is tramatic by any means.
May 21st, 2008, 10:51 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
LOL - that's why I pay my OB the big bucks to do what he was trained to do. I guess if you really wanted to be natural, you should be eating the cord and placenta too like animals do

[/b]
Some people do eat it....
http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/placentas/a/placenta.htm

Then comes the practice of placentophagia, eating the placenta, is also practiced in some parts of the world. There are even meal like recipes for cooking placentas, including placenta stew, placenta lasagna, power drinks with blended placenta and others. Though some mothers have been reported to eat placenta raw

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
May 21st, 2008, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Some people do eat it....
http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/placentas/a/placenta.htm

Then comes the practice of placentophagia, eating the placenta, is also practiced in some parts of the world. There are even meal like recipes for cooking placentas, including placenta stew, placenta lasagna, power drinks with blended placenta and others. Though some mothers have been reported to eat placenta raw[/b]
OMG!!!

Id feed it to my MIL though

May 21st, 2008, 11:19 AM
Tofu Bacon
Hey, I ate some of my placenta (don't even tell me anyone is shocked ) It really wasn't that bad...sort of a filet mignon texture.

(...backing slowly out of the room...)
May 21st, 2008, 11:38 AM
Just Nana's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Its not something I would be interested in doing even if I could have more children

May 21st, 2008, 11:49 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Hey, I ate some of my placenta (don't even tell me anyone is shocked ) It really wasn't that bad...sort of a filet mignon texture.

(...backing slowly out of the room...)[/b]

I'm not shocked that some would do this as this is yet another debate I participated in 6 or 7 yrs. ago. While I was a bit shocked at the time, I did admit that drying and using it in powdered form wasn't all that offensive to me I mean, people eat things that I consider gross all the time...raw fish and fish eggs to name a few.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
May 21st, 2008, 11:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The idea of a lotus birth weirds me out. Delayed cord cutting is one thing but I don't see what the medical advantage is to leaving it attached after it's stopped pulsing. If I was going to do something with the placenta I'd buy a sapling and bury it beneath the tree. I think it would be neat for my kids to have their own special tree.

As for eating the placenta, I've read that it contains chemicals that help the uterus to shrink and prevent hemorrhage. Although I don't see myself doing it, unless I was having really heavy bleeding, it makes more sense to me than leaving it attached.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search