"That's Gay"

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 23rd, 2008, 12:06 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, again, you can't expect people NOT to use these words. Me and my gay friends use it all the time in that manner. We have talked about it. Until the homosexual community really started making a boom, gay was not used, they were homosexuals. Gay was slang. No I will not stop using a word that used to mean something else and I used to use it along with my gay friends. Now the definition of gay has homosexual in it. I do not think it is a dig on homosexual community. I don't know of one gay person and I know quit a bit thanks to my promiscuous friends that take offense. I think the offended homosexuals are not the norm.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

May 23rd, 2008, 12:09 PM
Tiffers's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The only time it really bugs me is when my friends kids (who are 10 and 7) come over and are constantly using it. Of course then MY kids want to say it constantly after that.
May 23rd, 2008, 06:00 PM
Little Mrs Sunshine
my uncle is gay and so are a lot of my neighbors (i live in south florida) and use the word gay all the time and even make jokes at eachother expense. it goes both ways. I call my gay neighbor gay all the time and he calls me fat because I'm pregnant. I wouldnt do that with someone I wasnt friends with though. I am sure I have said "that so gay" plenty of times though. i tend to pick up on other people's slang if im around them too long so I probably say a lot of things without even realizing it. I should be more careful so I dont offend anyone - these posts lately have had me thinking about that! as for the word gay though I dont think most gay people are offended by it? but I'm sure if I slipped and used the word around a homosexual who wasnt my friend I would immediately feel bad afterward!
May 23rd, 2008, 09:44 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
The gay community uses it a lot, not necessarily referring to themselves either. I don't like hearing it over used "that couch is gay, that dog is gay".. kids do this a lot.

I'd rather hear Gay than ***... and that's what they call each other.

May 23rd, 2008, 10:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My friend and I talked about this once. She asked her brother and his boyfriend and they said it doesn't bother them. They say it too.

May 23rd, 2008, 11:00 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
i think that is rude, just like on the retarded thread. they are both rude when you call someone that
May 23rd, 2008, 11:31 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't say it unless I was saying a particular person is "gay" meaning they are homosexual. I would never use it in another connotation. I don't care if some or most aren't offended by it....I don't think it even matters. Some certainly are (I have known a few) and I think it's not a word I would say is desirable to be in your typical vocabulary. I don't use most words like that though...I really do try to use words that are more specific to what I am trying to say. I also don't typically swear for the same reason. Instead of saying something is "gay" why not say what it REALLY is? For instance (used by a PP) "that couch is X - being ugly, obnoxious, whatever the real thing is that you think is not good).

For clarification here is the definition of the word:
Quote:
gay Audio Help /geɪ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[gey] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation adjective, -er, -est, noun, adverb
–adjective
1. having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music.
2. bright or showy: gay colors; gay ornaments.
3. given to or abounding in social or other pleasures: a gay social season.
4. licentious; dissipated; wanton: The baron is a gay old rogue with an eye for the ladies.
5. homosexual.
6. of, indicating, or supporting homosexual interests or issues: a gay organization.
–noun
7. a homosexual person, esp. a male.
–adverb
8. in a gay manner.
[Origin: 1275–1325; 1950–55 for def. 5; ME gai < OF < Gmc; cf. OHG gāhi fast, sudden]

—Related forms
gayness, noun

—Synonyms 1. gleeful, jovial, glad, joyous, happy, cheerful, sprightly, blithe, airy, light-hearted; vivacious, frolicsome, sportive, hilarious. Gay, jolly, joyful, merry describe a happy or light-hearted mood. Gay suggests a lightness of heart or liveliness of mood that is openly manifested: when hearts were young and gay. Jolly indicates a good-humored, natural, expansive gaiety of mood or disposition: a jolly crowd at a party. Joyful suggests gladness, happiness, rejoicing: joyful over the good news. Merry is often interchangeable with gay: a merry disposition; a merry party; it suggests, even more than the latter, convivial animated enjoyment. 2. brilliant.
—Antonyms 1. unhappy, mournful.
—Usage note In addition to its original and continuing senses of “merry, lively” and “bright or showy,” gay has had various senses dealing with sexual conduct since the 17th century. A gay woman was a prostitute, a gay man a womanizer, a gay house a brothel. This sexual world included homosexuals too, and gay as an adjective meaning “homosexual” goes back at least to the early 1900s. After World War II, as social attitudes toward sexuality began to change, gay was applied openly by homosexuals to themselves, first as an adjective and later as a noun. Today, the noun often designates only a male homosexual: gays and lesbians. The word has ceased to be slang and is not used disparagingly. Homosexual as a noun is sometimes used only in reference to a male.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc.
gay

To learn more about gay visit Britannica.com

© 2008 Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
Gay Audio Help /geɪ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[gey] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. John, 1685–1732, English poet and dramatist.
2. a female or male given name.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This
gay Audio Help (gā) Pronunciation Key
adj. gay·er, gay·est

1. Of, relating to, or having a sexual orientation to persons of the same sex.
2. Showing or characterized by cheerfulness and lighthearted excitement; merry.
3. Bright or lively, especially in color: a gay, sunny room.
4. Given to social pleasures.
5. Dissolute; licentious.

n.

1. A person whose sexual orientation is to persons of the same sex.
2. A man whose sexual orientation is to men: an alliance of gays and lesbians.

[Middle English gai, lighthearted, brightly colored, from Old French, possibly of Germanic origin.]

gay'ness n.

Usage Note: The word gay is now standard in its use to refer to people whose orientation is to the same sex, in large part because it is the term that most gay people prefer in referring to themselves. Gay is distinguished from homosexual primarily by the emphasis it places on the cultural and social aspects of homosexuality as opposed to sexual practice. Many writers reserve gay for males, but the word is also used to refer to both sexes; when the intended meaning is not clear in the context, the phrase gay and lesbian may be used. Gay is often considered objectionable when used as a noun to refer to particular individuals, as in There were two gays on the panel; here phrasing such as Two members of the panel were gay should be used instead. But there is no objection to the use of the noun in the plural to refer collectively either to gay men or to gay men and lesbians, so long as it is clear whether men alone or both men and women are being discussed. See Usage Note at homosexual[/b]
source

I see nothing that says anything about using that word for anything other than saying a person's sexual orientation is gay or that a person is in high spirits. If there has ever been another meaning for that word I am unaware of it. I KNOW it is used in slang, but when used in slang I have ONLY ever heard it used in a derogatory way. I would never tell my son he "throws like a girl" because being a girl is NOT a bad thing! In the same way I would never say something is "gay" when I was trying to impart I did not like it. I don't think anyone should. I even think gay people shouldn't - because it really is part of a larger mentality of believing being gay is somehow being defective.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

May 24th, 2008, 05:37 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have problems with it when its used to belittle someone else. Same a the thread about the word "retarded".

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
May 24th, 2008, 01:56 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It is the same as saying someone is retarded or hoosier. I am from Indy and have a child with a severe disease. It only is bothersome if you let it be. Don't sweat the small stuff. It is just a figure of speech.
May 24th, 2008, 03:16 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't like it ... I think it's a lazy, uneducated way to speak. It says more about the person using it, than whoever it is (or whatever it is) they're referring to.

May 24th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Quote:
It is the same as saying someone is retarded or hoosier. I am from Indy and have a child with a severe disease. It only is bothersome if you let it be. Don't sweat the small stuff. It is just a figure of speech.[/b]
I think there is a huge difference between "sweating the small stuff" and just endeavoring to do better. Just because it isn't a MAJOR issue does that mean it is not an issue at all? I guess I just don't understand that perspective. If I hear someone use a derogatory term it doesn't necessarily ruin my day or cause me to loose sleep, but it certainly doesn't mean that it gives me a positive impression of that person either. Also - just because you are at a place where you feel strong enough to hear things & brush it off does not mean everyone can. Not everyone is in a good place emotionally. I don't think it is asking a ton for people to actually "try" to not be obnoxious self centered boobs that let whatever they think of first spill from the mouths. I actually believe in people overall. I believe they are capable of far more than most people expect from them. I think people with insensitive speech can step it up & think before starting their diarrhea of the mouth & people that are sensitive can work on trying to become a bit more balanced & centered & grounded. I don't see where that is asking so much.

I also do not get it...is hoosier somehow derogatory? I am from Michigan & everyone here is typically Spartans or Wolverines...if someone calls me a Wolverine (although I typically cheer for Spartans) how is that on the same level as someone saying the Wolverines are retarded? Perhaps I am unaware of some connotation hoosier has?

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

May 25th, 2008, 06:54 AM
seahorse_3's Avatar I have an oil for that!
Words are just WORDS, unless a malicious intention is behind it then I don't care.

--
Nature is there for you.
dōTERRA. Ask me how.
May 25th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Quote:
It is the same as saying someone is retarded or hoosier. I am from Indy and have a child with a severe disease. It only is bothersome if you let it be. Don't sweat the small stuff. It is just a figure of speech.[/b]
I think there is a huge difference between "sweating the small stuff" and just endeavoring to do better. Just because it isn't a MAJOR issue does that mean it is not an issue at all? I guess I just don't understand that perspective. If I hear someone use a derogatory term it doesn't necessarily ruin my day or cause me to loose sleep, but it certainly doesn't mean that it gives me a positive impression of that person either. Also - just because you are at a place where you feel strong enough to hear things & brush it off does not mean everyone can. Not everyone is in a good place emotionally. I don't think it is asking a ton for people to actually "try" to not be obnoxious self centered boobs that let whatever they think of first spill from the mouths. I actually believe in people overall. I believe they are capable of far more than most people expect from them. I think people with insensitive speech can step it up & think before starting their diarrhea of the mouth & people that are sensitive can work on trying to become a bit more balanced & centered & grounded. I don't see where that is asking so much.

I also do not get it...is hoosier somehow derogatory? I am from Michigan & everyone here is typically Spartans or Wolverines...if someone calls me a Wolverine (although I typically cheer for Spartans) how is that on the same level as someone saying the Wolverines are retarded? Perhaps I am unaware of some connotation hoosier has?
[/b]
Ditto exactly.

Quote:
Words are just WORDS, unless a malicious intention is behind it then I don't care.[/b]
Yeah, people always like to say that when it's something that doesn't bother them, but it's rarely true when push comes to shove. If it's really the way you feel, then you don't mind if someone calls you a c*nt or a sl*t (as long as it's said with no malicious intent, of course) or if you have a not-so-cute child and someone said he/she was "an ugly little sh*t" as long as they were laughing when they said it? I'd also then assume that you feel the "n" word is an ok term to refer to a black person, and you'd be fine calling a jewish person a "kyke"?

They are, after all, simply "just words".

Words, I'm afraid, do have power. This is the reason why charismatic people tend to become leaders - they can speak and people listen, they can talk and people follow, they can make suggestions and people go along with it. Benevolent, intelligent charismatic leaders can do amazing things; twisted, evil charismatic leaders can lead entire nations to war.

May 25th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Erin&#39;s First's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's something that people have said for a long time and still do. I use it and so do other people I know. It doesn't bother me, it's just a word and I'm not using it in a negative way.
May 25th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Quote:
It's something that people have said for a long time and still do. I use it and so do other people I know. It doesn't bother me, it's just a word and I'm not using it in a negative way.[/b]
This is honestly not a sarcastic question, but in what way *are* you using it then?

Really, the only way I've heard this word used (aside from the old-fashioned "happy" or in referring to someone's sexual orientation) is to describe something that is "lame" or "sucks" or some other negative connotation.

For example: This class is totally gay, the teacher marks so hard!
Or: I hate doing my taxes, they're so gay!

I've never heard someone using the slang version of the word gay to describe something as awesome or great or in a way that is otherwise positive.

For example: I love vanilla ice cream!! It's so gay!!! Yay!
Or: Isn't this the cutest puppy you've ever seen! Isn't he so gay!!

Perhaps in some places, people DO use the word 'gay' to describe things in a way that's not a negative connotation, and I'd be very interested in hearing about that, so again - if you're not using it in a negative way, how DO you use it?

May 26th, 2008, 11:33 AM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
When someone calls someone else Hoosier ... do you think they are from Indy? Here in Missouri it is the equivalent to us Hoosiers saying someone is from the boondocks. Meaning they are dirty, uneducated, and have a lack of hygiene. It is just another example of terminology and how other's interpret it. I got over name calling in high school. It does not bother me in the least.
May 26th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Erin&#39;s First's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
It's something that people have said for a long time and still do. I use it and so do other people I know. It doesn't bother me, it's just a word and I'm not using it in a negative way.[/b]
This is honestly not a sarcastic question, but in what way *are* you using it then?

Really, the only way I've heard this word used (aside from the old-fashioned "happy" or in referring to someone's sexual orientation) is to describe something that is "lame" or "sucks" or some other negative connotation.

For example: This class is totally gay, the teacher marks so hard!
Or: I hate doing my taxes, they're so gay!

I've never heard someone using the slang version of the word gay to describe something as awesome or great or in a way that is otherwise positive.

For example: I love vanilla ice cream!! It's so gay!!! Yay!
Or: Isn't this the cutest puppy you've ever seen! Isn't he so gay!!

Perhaps in some places, people DO use the word 'gay' to describe things in a way that's not a negative connotation, and I'd be very interested in hearing about that, so again - if you're not using it in a negative way, how DO you use it?
[/b]
I guess I should have said that I don't use it in a negative way toward people who are gay/homosexual. It's negative as in......stupid, lame, etc like some others said
May 27th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
When someone calls someone else Hoosier ... do you think they are from Indy? Here in Missouri it is the equivalent to us Hoosiers saying someone is from the boondocks. Meaning they are dirty, uneducated, and have a lack of hygiene. It is just another example of terminology and how other's interpret it. I got over name calling in high school. It does not bother me in the least.
[/b]
I think that must be regional ... since here saying someone is from the boondocks is simply saying they live out of the city. I never knew that was interpreted as negative by anyone. Here it is simply about how far out a person lives, but nothing negative. I guess you learn something new every day. I have heard hillbilly used negatively (similar to how you were saying boondocks is used) - but again it isn't a term I think should be used to be rude.

May 27th, 2008, 08:53 AM
SugarNSpice's Avatar VBAC Mommy!!!
I admit I say "That's gay" occasionally. But I do not say it as a dig against homosexuals at all. I use it innocently and I never direct it at other people.
People will get offended about anything you say these days. The word gay has a lot of different meanings.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search