Celeb scientology moms ...

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 24th, 2008, 07:49 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lately I've read a few news pieces (scary that this falls under news these days, but whatever) about Leah Rimini allowing her three year old to have up to six bottles a night, and Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise's daughter Suri still drinking from a bottle during the day and night at the age of two.

Aside from the wacky scientology "formula" that they may or may not be feeding them, is it THAT unusual to have a kid at two or three still on bottles? Not asking if it's deemed appropriate or if people should do it, as I'm well aware of the actual recommendations, but I'm guessing that there must be lots of kids at those ages whose parents haven't had the cojones to cut the bottle strings?

The issue got me thinking: are these moms getting additional criticism because they're celebrities? Because they're scientologists? Or is this something that warrants the amount of criticism they've gotten?

Anyone out there willing to "confess" how old their own kids were when their wee ones finally gave up the bottle? My DS is only 10 months so we're not there yet, but considering that he's already drinking from sippies and from straws, I don't think it's going to be an issue. Still, I'm pretty sure I have memories of babysitting kids who were at LEAST two years old and were definitely taking a bottle to bed with them.

May 24th, 2008, 07:59 PM
rachelwilber's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My son was on a bottle until around 14 months. From 12 months to 14 months he only had the morning bottle not the night one that one was the easiest to get rid of since he had reflux BUT I had a bottle until I was 4. I asked my mom why and she said it was because I wouldn't take my meds so she mixed them into my milk. Yuck I know.

May 24th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My DD just gave up her bottle. I made her because she was biting the nipples and they were leaking. I would have let her keep it until 2 and that was it. I don't care what people think or what other people do. My DD wouldn't even take a sippy until 13-14 months. I tried every one under the sun since she was 6 months. I do my thing, they do theirs. I think in the parenting scheme of things, bottles are fine until 2 yrs. That was my DDs "comfy" and honestly, I was dealing with my own emotional issues to care about her bottle. The next baby is going to be strictly BF, no bottles, no nothing. By some chance that I don't BF, I will try to get them off at 1 yr but if not, no big deal.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

May 24th, 2008, 09:12 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Since we are child-led parents and take our cues from our children I see no issue with it. My nearly 2 year old still nurses at night when she wants to.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
May 24th, 2008, 09:17 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Im pro child led weaning with BFing, but I do admit i feel differently when it comes to formula. With formula, it really isnt well suited for toddlers, and I think it poses more risks than benefits beyond the age of 1, and particularly past the age of 2. Of course, a few months beyond 1 isnt going to be much of a difference, theres bound to be a transition period. My son was off the bottle aroudn 14 months (he was only BF for 6ish weeks). But I've seen moms giving bottles as old as 4. My SS took a bottle until he was over 2 & hes had severe dental issues, requiring atleast a half dozen caps & he has serious serious decay (She was giving milk & juice bottles, but milk is just as bad as juice b/c its sugar content is quite high as well).

So - I personally dont think kids should be still getting bottles of formula or cows milk, particularly at night (I myself had bottle rot from night bottles), at the age of 2 and beyond. Or even at night at the age of 1 and beyond IMO. And thats far beyond the "FFing vs. BFing" debate - its for medical/dental reasons. If theyre going to need a bottle, it should be limited during the day IMO.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
May 24th, 2008, 09:33 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
My son will be a year old on June 2 and he's already weaned himself down to 3 bottles a day.

I watched the story with Leah Remini when she was on Rachel Ray and I was shocked. There is no need for an almost 4 year old to be getting 6 bottles during the night even if it's only water. If I were her Mom I would have been worried about the daughter waking so much during the night and wondering if she were getting adequate sleep. I'd also worry about her being so thirsty. If she really did need that water at night I would have been concerned about her having diabetes or something else that can cause excessive thirst.

I recently read somewhere that Scientologists don't really believe in telling their children "no." That may be why they don't make them give up the bottle. I'll have to go look tomorrow (it's late now) and see if I can find that info again.

May 24th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I gotta ditto susan here... 6 bottles a night is scary no matter if you are celebrity or not. Lack of Sleep plus the amount of formula/food being recieved doesnt seem very healthy

May 24th, 2008, 10:19 PM
whatever
Quote:
"I have no problem being judged," Remini told the Daily News. "What I do mind is imperfect people acting indignant about a situation in which they, too, have maybe failed.

"The viewer was sympathetic to the real issue, which was that I did want Sofia off the bottle, but I didn't want to hear my daughter cry," Remini said. "She had very helpful tips that worked with my philosophy of not just ripping the bottle from her hands, which as a parent I was not willing to do."

"I want to be clear that if Sofia wants to watch a scary movie before bed, I won't let her because she has nightmares, so she does cry and we get through it," Remini said. "But if she was going to hurt herself, I would stop her even if it meant tears. I didn't see her being on the bottle as a matter of life or death, but now I do see that it is actually damaging her. And for that, I was willing to let the information in."[/b]
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/t...t_off_bott.html

She is admitting this is a problem. She doesn’t want her daughter to cry. A three year old on the bottle and the mother admitting there is a problem….What a SHOCKER! I can't even imagine!!! It must be part of Scientology!!

*snark snark snark*

/sarcasm
May 24th, 2008, 10:56 PM
MissTorrieIfYou'reNasty's Avatar Co-Host of Heated Debates
I am an avid Anti-Scientologist, but I don't see this as being particularly related. It's obviously not a strict enough doctrine that Leah Rimini wasn't willing to take her daughter off the bottle. As for taking children off the bottle, I will personally do it at age one. I think any longer and you risk imparting the message that your child is still a baby and expecting them to act like one, Thereby impeding efforts to help them mature. But my neighbours two year old is still on the bottle, and being v-ee-ee-eerry slowly weaned off it, and she's a great kid, and basically potty training herself, so obviously it's not a hard and fast rule.

In all the research I have done on Scientology over the years, I have never run across a strict policy regarding telling your children "No". But it wouldn't surprise me. L. Ron Hubbard believed that the trauma of birth and childhood would create "engrams" that would traumatize the infant and child for the rest of their life. He believed that when people encoutered negative behaviour and issues that affected thier lives, it was because of these "engrams". Hence, the Silent Birth. It wouldn't surprise me if others extended this policy to negative words, hence, no saying no.

I'm more concerned with Leah Remini raising her child in the clutches of a commercialized, intimidating, murderous cult, but that's just me. Obviously, I have serious issues with Scientology.

"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."
May 24th, 2008, 11:06 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know. It seems to me that all medical info points to taking it away as close to one as possible. I BF - so it really doesn't apply as there is no age recommendation to "stop BF". Overall I think as long as you are using good judgment it's not typically a huge issue & a child can be transitioned off somewhere between 1-2 yrs. My son will take a sippy but vastly prefers a straw or a bottle...so many times I will give him water in a bottle when we are out & about simply because he can handle it himself (such as in his car seat with him) whereas everything I have with a straw becomes a game of seeing how much he can make it leak. I don't think he'd really care if I took the bottle away though - it's just a means to drink overall.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

May 25th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I dont know what one thing has to do with the other at all (Scientology and prolonged bottle feeding).
My son was still using his bottle at 9 years old.Sure,its not the ideal situation or age to be bottle feeding,but it was the ONLY way to get him to drink milk.HeŽd have one bottle at night after his dinner,then one in the morning after his breakfast.
I didnt see anything wrong with it at all.HeŽd drink his milk in about 2 seconds flat,so its not like heŽd suck on it for hours etc.
HeŽs 11 now and his teeth are perfect so it hasnt affected that in any way.
Im BFing my daughter now,so its not going to happen again..but I really dont see anything wrong with older kids using their bottles.As long as they arent sucking on them for hours and taking a bottle instead of real food,I think its fine.
I dont think its much different than moms who BF older kids.

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

May 25th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Even then, 1 Bottle is much different than up to 6 in one night

May 25th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I too saw the Rachel Ray show with Leah that day. I 100% agree with her not taking it away because she didn't want her child to cry. I would do the exact same thing. The only thing that concerned me was HOW MUCH her little girl was drinking. I would be afraid that she had a medical problem contributing to her excessive thrist?! My little one is 16 months old and still takes a bottle right after dinner. It is not necessarily because he wants or asks for this bottle either, but for me to ensure that he takes in the correct amount of whole milk a day. He just doesn't drink as much from a sippy or cup. Once he starts drinking the appropriate amount of whole milk from a cup I will cut that bottle out too - even if it takes until he is 3!

Personally I think that they are getting too much negative attention because they are celebs. But that is how it goes with just about anything when it comes to celebs.

May 25th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Noah didn't give up his bottle until a few months after his third birthday. He would take several bottles of whole milk a day. One day, he just decided he was done. Now, he talks about how his bottles will soon be for his baby brother or sister. He remembers his bottle fondly and it is sweet that he wants to share them. He is one of the sweetest, most independent little boys you will ever meet. I got a lot of criticism from my family about how long he took a bottle, but I knew he would give it up in his own time. I don't see anything wrong with it. If having a three year old on a bottle is one of the worst things I can do, I would say we are doing pretty darn good.
DS-Sully(4)
DS-Gus(2)

May 25th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Just Nana's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Both my children were off bottles by one year old. I think 6 bottles at night for a 3 year old is a bit much

May 25th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I dont know what one thing has to do with the other at all (Scientology and prolonged bottle feeding).
My son was still using his bottle at 9 years old.Sure,its not the ideal situation or age to be bottle feeding,but it was the ONLY way to get him to drink milk.HeŽd have one bottle at night after his dinner,then one in the morning after his breakfast.
I didnt see anything wrong with it at all.HeŽd drink his milk in about 2 seconds flat,so its not like heŽd suck on it for hours etc.
HeŽs 11 now and his teeth are perfect so it hasnt affected that in any way.
Im BFing my daughter now,so its not going to happen again..but I really dont see anything wrong with older kids using their bottles.As long as they arent sucking on them for hours and taking a bottle instead of real food,I think its fine.
I dont think its much different than moms who BF older kids.[/b]
your daughter is beautiful!

May 25th, 2008, 09:16 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
It bothers me a bit when people say they don't want to hear their kids cry and then they use that as an excuse to not to the things that can be difficult as a parent. I don't like hearing my son cry either. I don't let him CIO or anything but there are times that he cries because of a decision that I had to make.

A few days ago he tried to climb the entertainment center. I pulled him away from it and told him no. He cried and gave me the dirtiest look like I was the meanest mommy in the whole world. He may not have been happy but I made the best decision for him.

There really isn't a reason for a 4 year old to still take a bottle. I think more often than not it tends to be the parent who just doesn't want their baby to grow up. With a little bit of love and encouragement kids will usually give it up.

May 25th, 2008, 09:24 AM
bevyvuska's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son is 15 months old & uses a combination of bottles & sippy cups. He loves to drink out of a straw, but he tends to play with them & see what he can get on the floor. He gets his milk & Juice in either, just depends on what we have. He does have a bottle of milk about 30 mins or so before he goes to bed, but doesn't get anything in the middle of the night. We have never put him to bed with a bottle, he does have one sometimes when he naps in his swing, but other than that. I haven't seen it as a problem. I do think that what Leah was doing was excessive, but if she realizes it's an issue & seeks help on how to fix it. Then she is doing the right thing.

May 25th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I'm highly concerned about this child's sleep patterns... how is waking up for a bottle 6 times a night better than the child waking to cry?

May 25th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Tiffers's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
It bothers me a bit when people say they don't want to hear their kids cry and then they use that as an excuse to not to the things that can be difficult as a parent. I don't like hearing my son cry either. I don't let him CIO or anything but there are times that he cries because of a decision that I had to make.

A few days ago he tried to climb the entertainment center. I pulled him away from it and told him no. He cried and gave me the dirtiest look like I was the meanest mommy in the whole world. He may not have been happy but I made the best decision for him.[/b]
ITA, and if they can't handle it now when they're 2 or 3, just wait until they're 7 and older. I'm a "mean mom" many times according to my 7 year old. Yesterday he told me I was an awful mom and ruined his weekend because I made him clean the bathroom

All my kids were off the bottle by 15/16 months. My first was off by 12, but he was so independent it didn't surprise me. My second two took a little bit longer, but I think that's because they just took longer adjusting. Both of them had trouble with bottles in the beginning, so it wasn't a surprise they took longer adjusting to the sippy cup. Really if you work on it at that age, it's so much easier than later on. Same with the paci if they still take it. You have to learn to wean in the period between needing it, and when it starts to be an emotional attachment.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search