What do you think of this quote?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 24th, 2008, 10:56 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
"No culture in the history of the world, save the thoroughly depraved and expiring ones, has failed to affirm the existence of a Supreme Being. It is an empirical observation that men without a strong and lasting faith in a Supreme Being are less capable, less ethical and less valuable to themselves and society . . . . A man without an abiding faith is, by observation alone, more of a thing than a man."
May 26th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Mega Super Daddy
Quote:
"No culture in the history of the world, save the thoroughly depraved and expiring ones, has failed to affirm the existence of a Supreme Being.[/b]
Define "culture". There are cultures that are slowly purging religious beliefs as the world becomes less religious. No doubt some will always beleive in the fantastical and nonsensical, just as some will always believe in aliens. "Belief" hardly justifies the existence of gods or aliens.

Quote:
It is an empirical observation that men without a strong and lasting faith in a Supreme Being are less capable, less ethical and less valuable to themselves and society[/b]
Really? Who's empirical observation is that? Since I dropped my "faith in a supreme being" I think I have become more ethical. I didn't even know what it meant to be "moral" outside of "God says don't do that". I also find I am more valuable to myself and others because I am no longer living in a fantasy world where what is most important is what is beyond my apparent lifetime on Earth. I now understand that is all I have.

Quote:
A man without an abiding faith is, by observation alone, more of a thing than a man."[/b]
Well, that is just plain silly. You mean a fantasy belief makes one more of a person than a reality based one? I think such thinking dilutes what it means to be human. It causes one to deny their actual humanness.
May 26th, 2008, 09:09 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Ah, Scientology lol The quote was taken from some Scientology site...I had a point to posting it, but now I can't remember what it was.
June 27th, 2008, 11:29 AM
$pryNinja's Avatar Zef Fre$ Mom
I don't really agree with that statement either. Having faith in something doesn't make you more of a man/woman. Having no faith in a higher power does not make you any less.

There is no greater power in the universe than the need for
freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot
stand.

June 28th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Mega Super Daddy
I think it could be argued that denying fantasy beliefs, and seeking reality, makes you more human. It allows you to maximize your human experience. I will give an example. Look at the movie The Matrix where Cypher betrays his his friends so he can return to the imaginary world of the Matrix. He was the bad guy because he denied his own humanness and sought fantasy instead of reality.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search