Teen Pregnancy Ads

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 30th, 2008, 01:45 PM
LaLaRose3's Avatar My brand of heroin.
Are these ads against teen pregnancy rude or uncalled for?

LINK

Edited for link

(NO FACEBOOK, PLEASE!)

May 30th, 2008, 02:15 PM
DavidandJaidonsmomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't like them. I'm 100% for the prevention of teen pregnancy, but those ads just don't sit right with me. The ads are so degrading.

Bree - Mom to David - 10 & Jaidon - 8
Baby#3:
Beta 4/25 @ 16dpo 622 4/29 @ 20dpo 2013
10wk hb 172

May 30th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Tiffers's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't really get how they have to do with teen pregnancy. I mean I see the fine print on the side, but I still don't get the rest - at least not enough to make me think they'll work.

I think empowering teens with positive information works 1000% better.
May 30th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Tiffany, I totally see what you are saying. The only mention of "teen" is on the bottom in fine print.

I just think these ads are way over the line- I know that the words ("reject", "nobody",etc) are in sentences, but making them stand out like that is just no fair. Teen moms aren't rejects, nobodies, cheap, etc.

(NO FACEBOOK, PLEASE!)

May 30th, 2008, 03:33 PM
MissTorrieIfYou'reNasty's Avatar Co-Host of Heated Debates
Nor are girls who have sex "cheap" or "dirty". I hate these ads.

"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."
May 30th, 2008, 04:07 PM
irishxrose
We were just talking about this on the Teen Mommies board. I think the ads are horrible, and way over the line.

I am not cheap, or dirty, or a reject or any of the things those ads claim teen moms are.
May 30th, 2008, 04:14 PM
duality's Avatar Miss Mama
These ads are cheap and dirty.

May 30th, 2008, 04:16 PM
mommyKathyX3
At first I just kinda rolled my eyes at the ads saying, yeah, they are trying to be clever and use a play on words to get a point across. Its supposed to be the whole "shock" factor thing. People see the word, and think, OMG they are saying that person is _________ but they arent.

HERE is my MAJOR issue with that the more I thought about it though. People wonder why there are SO many teens who are confused depressed and more likely to be abusive and neglectful toward thier babies (NOT a bash on teen moms, this is factual. Teen moms have HIGHER insidences of this stuff as a whole. Doesnt mean ALL are like that, just that your chances are MORE LIKELY to be that way) Well, lets see, you see people in general who are parents HAPPY and LOVING having babies, and its glamorized, then you show teen moms all sad and depressed, and stressed, and depressed in ads like this. No, IF you are going to have a baby, life will not be all cotton candy clouds and bunnies. Nor will it be hell on earth. If you arent prepared for it, it WILL be tougher, but DOES NOT MEAN YOUR LIFE IS OVER. The one that absolutly PISSES me off is ithe one of the guy that says USELESS. JUST because you got your girlfriend pregnant does NOT in ANYWAY make your scholoarship USELESS! ARRRRGGGG!!! I'm acutally griting my teeth here I'm so mad it even SAYS THAT. SO FREAKING WHAT you have to get a job. You can STILL go to college and have a job. People do it ALL the time! WAY TO GO PEOPLE! Lets encourage some teen to NOT go to college JUST cause they got a girl pregnant! How about GO TO COLLEGE AND MAKE SOMETHING OF YOURSELF so you can SUPPORT your baby???? Dont let "having a baby" stop you from going to college, ESPECIALLY for a father. It SHOULDNT for the mother either, but I can see a bit more frustration if she is bfing, and if she is due in the middle of the semester or something.

ANYWHO, in general the ads are VERY bad. I think they could cause more problems than they are think they are "solving".

I DONT think that they are saying that the ads are SAYING that teen moms/dads are cheep/useless/rejects ect justs that they may FEEL that way. Its a shock factor thing, but like I said, its just STUPID, cause people wil misunderstand them.

JUST cause you had a baby as a teen doesnt make your life hell, it just makes things more likely to be harder. It shouldnt be encouraged, but dont make them feel terrible FOR becoming a teen parent! JEEZ!

I'm getting more upset as I think about this more.......
May 30th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
Quote:
Nor are girls who have sex "cheap" or "dirty". I hate these ads.[/b]

How is promoting shame and prejudice conducive to reducing the rate of teen pregnancy? Honestly, I wouldn't have even known what message these ads were attempting to make without this explanation.

The only thing I see being conveyed by these ads is that sexually active females are sluts and trash and teen pregnancy is the dirty and shameful confirmation of a girl's lacking value to society. I don't know if it will impact the rates of teen pregnancy but I think it has a better chance of impacting the number of teens hiding their pregnancy until they can dump the "evidence" after secretly giving birth in a bathroom stall.

May 30th, 2008, 04:29 PM
mommyKathyX3
Quote:
Quote:

How is promoting shame and prejudice conducive to reducing the rate of teen pregnancy? Honestly, I wouldn't have even known what message these ads were attempting to make without this explanation.

The only thing I see being conveyed by these ads is that sexually active females are sluts and trash and teen pregnancy is the dirty and shameful confirmation of a girl's lacking value to society. I don't know if it will impact the rates of teen pregnancy but I think it has a better chance of impacting the number of teens hiding their pregnancy until they can dump the "evidence" after secretly giving birth in a bathroom stall.[/b]
YEP yep yep.

That and having resentment toward thier babies, and thinking why even BOTHER making something of myself cause everyone just thinks I'm just a cheep useless reject anyway. . .

Brilliant
May 30th, 2008, 04:33 PM
You go girls! I agree with all of you!

I didn't know this was also being discussed on the Teen Mommy board- I am sure the general thought is the same as it is here. Those ads are way over the line.

(NO FACEBOOK, PLEASE!)

May 30th, 2008, 05:09 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:

The only thing I see being conveyed by these ads is that sexually active females are sluts and trash and teen pregnancy is the dirty and shameful confirmation of a girl's lacking value to society. I don't know if it will impact the rates of teen pregnancy but I think it has a better chance of impacting the number of teens hiding their pregnancy until they can dump the "evidence" after secretly giving birth in a bathroom stall.
[/b]
Ditto, ditto and ditto.

And, I realize there are two ads with guys in them, but once again, the onus on sexual responsibility seems to be directed at the gals ... ("Men, it's your job to try to have sex with the women. Women, it's your job to stop them!" Blech!)

May 30th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Tiffers's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
YEP yep yep.

That and having resentment toward thier babies, and thinking why even BOTHER making something of myself cause everyone just thinks I'm just a cheep useless reject anyway. . .

Brilliant [/b]
I didn't even think about it that way, but that's so true.

I just think teens are going to have sex no matter what. What's so wrong with teaching them how to prevent pregnancy and STD's. Making them feel shameful about it is just going to increase what the PP's said, and make them feel shameful for looking to get birth control - thus increasing the pregnancy rate
May 30th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do not agree with those ads

My Kiddos
Chloe (14),
Benjamin (9)
Logan (6), Kaitlin (3)

εϊз Some People Dream of Angels But I Held One In My Arms εϊз
Rebecca Lee Stillborn 10-30-03
May 30th, 2008, 06:05 PM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I look at these ads and think "These are why I don't tell ppl I have a child unless they ask". I'm so sick of being looked down on and degraded for being a young mother. I have two jobs and earn more than most married couples. I am attending two different schools for two different degrees. I am an officer for the ASNT. I have owned two houses in my life and currently have a very nice townhome. I am not cheap, I am not dirty, etc.

Like a pp said I think these ads send the wrong message and make young women feel like keeping their children is the wrong choice. All I see stemming from these ads is an increased abortion rate and more young girls having depression and anxiety about it for years to come. UGH!

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
June 1st, 2008, 02:30 AM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
i think those are totally uncalled for and extreamly rude. I am NOT a **** just because i have a child. no one knows anything about it except for me and her father; we were the ones in the room making her and i could care less what other people think, we actually planned her and it took six months to concive and i am a young mother.
June 1st, 2008, 05:12 AM
LisanAndy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah I definitely don't agree with those adds.. how rude, degrading, and hurtful I'm definitely not a reject or a **** because I got pregnant at 19 and had my daughter at 20.

Is baby Aubrey Alana or Jacob Robert?!

June 1st, 2008, 06:38 AM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
I don't like the way the ads are laid out. HOWEVER, for the most part, what is written on them is what is widely thought about and said among young people. I sent them to my 17 year old (non sexually active) brother to look at, and he said that he's heard all sorts of that said among his peers.

NOW, I don't like the way they're laid out. Phrases that are in a few cases (the dirty diapers, the scholar ship one, the one prick one, and the condom one) true, could be used in ads if laid out correctly.

As moms, or women who have experienced losses, we look at them from a "mom" POV. I think the ads are meant as a preventative measure, to be used BEFORE a pregnancy happens, not after. But I do agree that these ads, laid out the way they are, are very degrading.

June 1st, 2008, 11:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I can't believe that these would actually make it to print. How many people did this idea have to go through before we saw them? It's ridiculous. They are degrading, insulting, offensive, and my guess is that they will NOT effective at all. I am all for positive education - insulting advertising isn't positive, and it's not education. I think this is doing much more harm than good.

Lisa

June 1st, 2008, 03:01 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Imagine if Weight Watchers advertised with pictures of plus-size women with the words "tubby" and "fat #####" written across them in huge letters ... they probably wouldn't elicit many new customers...

I don't think this kind of ad will garner the response they're hoping for. It's very negative.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search