Songs like..

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 2nd, 2008, 02:14 PM
Gracey and Evan's Ma
Stay by Sugarland

Lyrics (from memory, correct me if Im wrong on any):

Ive been layin here prayin'
praying she wont call
its just another call from home,
you'll get it and be gone,
and I'll be crying

Lips of an Angel by Hinder
Lyrics:
Honey why you calling me
so late
its kinda hard to talk right now
honey why you crying
is everything okay
gotta whisper cause I cant be too loud
My girls in
the next room
sometimes I wish she was you....

Are these "just songs" or disgusting promotion of adultery/cheating? I know we did this with movies.. but there are SO many songs out too that glamorize this behavior!

Any songs that really disturb you in that way (that _____ is being glamourized)?

The first just.. really gets me. Really? You are PRAYING that your boyfriends WIFE wont call? Ever heard of The 10 Commandments? Thats like praying that the ppl you plan to rob wont be home!

And the 2nd.. geez, if you are both still THAT hung up on each other.. let your current s/o's go!

Both of the songs just make me sick.. I liked the tune and they would both get stuck in my head, but I think they are horrible!
June 2nd, 2008, 02:30 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've never heard those songs, but I can say that I rather dislike the "don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me" ... what happened to songs where people talked about their OWN significant others!

June 2nd, 2008, 02:39 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Are these "just songs" or disgusting promotion of adultery/cheating? I'd say those two examples are just songs. I don't particularly see them glamorizing adultery because from the lyrics it sounds like the narrator (is that the right term in this case??) is experiencing heartache because of the situation they are in.

They aren't like that Shaggy song about cheating. That one seems to be glamorizing it a bit although it just makes me

Any songs that really disturb you in that way (that _____ is being glamourized)?
Probably, though I can't think of any off the top of my head right now. I can say I don't like the hip-hop/rap videos that feature a bunch of scantily-clad women dancing around the singer with a vapid look in their eyes like they were created for nothing else but to dance scantily-clad around some douche-bag with a grill.

June 2nd, 2008, 02:56 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ill be the odd man out. I cant say these are my favorite songs, but i also dont think humans are built to be monogamous. While i think manipulating someone is wrong - I dont see adultery in any much different light than say - not being on BC or prevent pg, without the other persons knowledge (or TTC when the other partner doesnt want to or isnt ready).

So - I dunno, I really just see that kind of stuff as a part of life, maybe im a cynic lol. Theyre a type of relationship that is going to happen, continue to happen, as long as humans live - I think its part of human nature. Do i think its right? No - but mainly in the sense that its usually keeping an unknowing person in a relationship that with that information they wouldnt usually be (i suppose there are exceptions to that of course lol).

I dont like promiscuity in general being glamorized though. Sexuality is one thing - but careless promiscuity is another (and I dont consider extra marital relationships to necessarily be promiscuous).

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
June 2nd, 2008, 05:36 PM
Kenya's Avatar Expecting #2
Some songs bother me, and some don't.... Do I think its right for songs like those? umm.. yes (for pure entertainment) and no (because of the meaning behind them).. but according to my Psych professor, he said its genetically programmed for men to sleep with or have relationships with as many women as possible for the sake of reproducing.. but he also said, is it morally right? nope..
@ 2:55pm

6lbs - 10.7oz, 20 1/4 in long

Team Blue for Baby 2! Due in April

June 2nd, 2008, 06:20 PM
Just Nana's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
To me they are just songs and for entertainment purposes only so it doesnt bother me at all. I dont care for the rap ones though

June 2nd, 2008, 07:26 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
They don't really bother me. I think they're just songs and it's not like they are saying "oh everyone should go cheat on their spouse." The first song is much better if you see all of the lyrics and not just the part the OP posted.

The last two stanzas of the song:

I can't take it any longer
But my will is getting stronger
And I think I know just what I have to do
I can't waste another minute
After all that I've put in it
I've given you my best
Why does she get the best of you
So next time you find you wanna leave her bed for mine

Why don't you stay
I'm up off my knees
I'm so tired of being lonely
You can't give me what I need
When she begs you not to go
There is one thing you should know
I don't have to live this way
Baby, why don't you stay, yeah

June 2nd, 2008, 08:13 PM
Just Nana's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Those are just good old country songs play it backwards and you get your dog, wife and truck back

June 2nd, 2008, 08:35 PM
Erin&#39;s First's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
To me they are just songs, they are for entertainment. I honestly don't really think deep about lyrics. They don't bother me. It's like the movies, it's entertainment and that's all.
June 2nd, 2008, 11:17 PM
pixie_punk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My only issue with the Hinder song is as if that guy could get two different girls... I mean have you SEEN him?!

But on a serious note, I think they're just songs. If the words to a song on the radio have that much influence over somebody that they'd hear one of those and think "oh I guess it's okay to cheat! NEAT!", they might need to reevaluate their priorities.

There are two girls with whom I've known longer than anyone, and my debt to them is lifetime. The gathering of boys I rely on know exactly who they are and I would build their protection with bloody hands. - 36 Crazyfists
</div>
June 2nd, 2008, 11:25 PM
MissTorrieIfYou'reNasty's Avatar Co-Host of Heated Debates
Quote:
Stay by Sugarland

Lyrics (from memory, correct me if Im wrong on any):

Ive been layin here prayin'
praying she wont call
its just another call from home,
you'll get it and be gone,
and I'll be crying

Lyrics:
Honey why you calling me
so late
honey why you crying
is everything okay
My girls in
the next room
sometimes I wish she was you....

Are these "just songs" or disgusting promotion of adultery/cheating? I know we did this with movies.. but there are SO many songs out too that glamorize this behavior!

The first just.. really gets me. Really? You are PRAYING that your boyfriends WIFE wont call? Ever heard of The 10 Commandments? Thats like praying that the ppl you plan to rob wont be home!

And the 2nd.. geez, if you are both still THAT hung up on each other.. let your current s/o's go!

Both of the songs just make me sick.. I liked the tune and they would both get stuck in my head, but I think they are horrible![/b]
Yeah, I'm gonna have to go with LaLa on this one. These relationships happen, and they happen because each and every one of us has a biological drive to make it happen.

A male gorilla cannot mount the same female more than five times in a row, but if you present him with a new female, he'll go like he's never gone before, even if it's only seconds after he mounted the last female. Same with bulls, and roosters. Male humans are much the same way, the only difference is we have the ability to rationalize our biological imparatives. Hence, the huge business behind women's underwear and other dress up materials. It's a man's way of mounting a "different" woman.
Biologically, the more people a man or woman has sex with in a lifetime, the more genetic variety there is in the species. That's the way nature likes it. It ensures the survival of the species, and that's why you'll find that polygamous species far outnumber monogamous species. Anyway, that was kind of a tangent, but I typed it, so it's staying in.

So, these songs don't "glamorize" the behaviour, so much as acknowledge that it happens. Now, if some dude came out with a song entitled, "I cheated on my wife and have 27 different children with 26 different women and that makes me the coolest dude ever and you should all be like me." ,then we can talk.
Especially I don't see having an issue with the Hinder song. The guy never explicitly states that she is cheating on the chick, just that there is this chick that he still has complicated feelings for, and she won't really get out of his life. It's essentially a thought crime.

"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."
June 3rd, 2008, 07:08 AM
HippieLove's Avatar Modern Day Brady Bunch
i have to admit i really dont like dont cha it used to drive me inasne LOL

♥ Isla Rae Due August 28th

(24.11.15)
June 3rd, 2008, 07:27 AM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I actually do think what we listen to matters.....and it matters for our children/teenagers. I think music really does affect people. I hear some of the stuff the teenagers I know listen to and think, "no wonder they are depressed!" To put it short, garbage in, garbage out.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

June 3rd, 2008, 12:18 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I guess it's a chicken and egg question: are they depressed BECAUSE they listen to depressing music, or do they choose depressing musice because they already ARE depressed.

I don't know about you, but when I was young and going through a break-up, I'd always listen to old Sarah McLaughlin ... too depressing to listen to at any other time though

But, to an extent, I do agree that what we listen to, what we read, what we see on TV, etc. does have an affect on how we perceive the world and how we interpret cultural norms.

I also agree that there is a "biological imperative" to a lot of what we do ... but the human brain compensates for a lot of that. I mean, it's in our evolutionary benefit to abandon an offspring that is somehow sick or ill or "damaged" as most animals would. But our brain - emotion, thought process, etc. - generally overrides that. I think relying too much on an evolutionary psychology viewpoint to evaluate behaviour leads to a "we can't help it" mentality, when as a species we've generally agreed that some things are not ok, regardless of their evolutionary benefit.

June 3rd, 2008, 12:21 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
To me they are just songs, they are for entertainment. I honestly don't really think deep about lyrics. They don't bother me. It's like the movies, it's entertainment and that's all.[/b]

That's how I feel too!
June 3rd, 2008, 12:51 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Quote:
I guess it's a chicken and egg question: are they depressed BECAUSE they listen to depressing music, or do they choose depressing musice because they already ARE depressed.

I don't know about you, but when I was young and going through a break-up, I'd always listen to old Sarah McLaughlin ... too depressing to listen to at any other time though

But, to an extent, I do agree that what we listen to, what we read, what we see on TV, etc. does have an affect on how we perceive the world and how we interpret cultural norms.

I also agree that there is a "biological imperative" to a lot of what we do ... but the human brain compensates for a lot of that. I mean, it's in our evolutionary benefit to abandon an offspring that is somehow sick or ill or "damaged" as most animals would. But our brain - emotion, thought process, etc. - generally overrides that. I think relying too much on an evolutionary psychology viewpoint to evaluate behaviour leads to a "we can't help it" mentality, when as a species we've generally agreed that some things are not ok, regardless of their evolutionary benefit.[/b]
That is an excellent point! I know as a teenager I'd get into my depressed moods and put on any depressing music I could find. I didn't listen to the music and become depressed. I became depressed and then listened to the music.

June 3rd, 2008, 06:47 PM
Gracey and Evan's Ma
Im gonna have to say that the end of the song by sugarland doesnt make it any better. "I've given you my best, why does she get the best of you?" hello? shes his wife! and just cause she has decided to move on upon realization that he isnt leaving his wife, doesnt make it any better (if it were a true story). Maybe Im just overly sensitive to cheating.. I honestly find the songs repulsive.
June 3rd, 2008, 07:37 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
eh, there okay. im not into cheating but to each his own i guess.
June 3rd, 2008, 07:52 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Quote:
Lyrics:
Honey why you calling me
so late
honey why you crying
is everything okay
My girls in
the next room
sometimes I wish she was you....[/b]
I have a friend who calls this song our theme song. We've never dated, we've never kissed, I don't think we've ever hugged. But we can sit and talk for hours, we both want the same things in life. I think we could date no problem. However, he has a finance, who treats him like crap and he's watched my boyfriends treat me like crap. They've been engaged for 4 years, she's asked for "breaks" three times (one of them was over a year long when he moved here and that's when I met him), and hasn't even started thinking of planning a wedding.. and he's miserable. But we never do anything to change the situations. This song suits us perfectly, because for both of us, we often wish that the one we were with was each other. It's tough for me right now, because I'm single, and he's so unhappy, but I refuse, I absolutely refuse to even mention he leave her.

I see them as just songs. They're songs of heartache because there is something you can't have out there, but you want it so much.

Um... there is one, but for the life of me tonight I cannot think of it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search