Could you

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 3rd, 2008, 05:49 PM
Just Nana's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp=24...5&#24882115

June 3rd, 2008, 06:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
probley not, but i supose i might consider it if i got desperate inought
June 3rd, 2008, 08:22 PM
Erin's First's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I could never do that. I think it's disgusting. 20/20 or Dateline had a whole show about it and I just thought good for them for doing it, but not me.
June 3rd, 2008, 08:34 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
dang i cant open the link to see what it is..
June 3rd, 2008, 08:37 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I don't think I could do it. The smell of stinky garbage turns my stomach. I'd probably puke looking through the stuff. The last line the lady says was something about how for some reason things have to be thrown away instead of being given to a food bank. I wonder if she keeps it all for herself or donates it.

June 3rd, 2008, 10:31 PM
Sweetpea0708's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would be concerned with it being already contaminated since it is mixed with garbage...couldn't do it myself...I'm kind of a germaphobe.

June 3rd, 2008, 10:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Don't give me any ideas--LOL! Confession--I did reach into a garbage can at the gas station to get a coupon insert last week.

I could do it if it was a store dumpster, but not a regular household garbage dumpster. Like someone else mentioned, the smell of our own garbage can makes me gag, but that store dumpster looked pretty clean as far as dumpsters go, so I could probably handle that. However, if it was me doing it, I would jump in there and discover a bunch of rotten slimy spoiled crap instead of new unopened jars of peanut butter, bagged vegetables and almonds.

June 4th, 2008, 12:21 AM
pixie_punk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The video won't play but I'll assume it's about dumpster diving/freegans. I don't think I could do it but I don't really see a problem with it... I mean from what I've seen on people who do it, they're always pretty careful about what they take from dumpsters to eat. Restaurants would be one of the best places to go cuz it's almost all food, and a lot of it, whereas residential garbage is a little bit of everything.

I think an interesting question for debate would be, if you do this and cook with the food for dinner guests, are you morally obligated to tell them where you got the food?

There are two girls with whom I've known longer than anyone, and my debt to them is lifetime. The gathering of boys I rely on know exactly who they are and I would build their protection with bloody hands. - 36 Crazyfists
</div>
June 4th, 2008, 06:23 AM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
EEeewww!! No way! I dont even like touching dumpsters to get rid of trash,so theres no way Id want to touch one to actually get trash out! lol.
I dont care how "good" the food is,its still mixed with trash and with all the rats and cats that go near/in dumpsters,I would never even consider doing that.Thats just gross!

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

June 4th, 2008, 07:21 AM
mommywannabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No, I just could not do it. I mean, if I was out of a job, single, trying to raise my kids and just had no other option , not even going to the food bank or getting welfare.....then I suppose to feed my kids I'd do just about anything. But as far as doing it just to save some money, or just because there MIGHT be some perfectly good food in there...no thanks. I also can't stand the smell of trash (pregnancy doesnt help) and have a hard time even touching our alley trash can to put the trash bags in it for pick up. It's not dirty, it just smells and knowing that trash goes in there, and then the trashmen pick it up after they've touched hundreds of other people's trash....GERMS! LOL. Ok, I'm a bit of a germaphobe too.
Also, if I knew someone was diving for food in a dumpster, I couldnt eat at their home. I know it sounds stuck up or whatever, and that's fine. But I just could NOT get my mind to shut off enough to eat food that I KNOW came from a dumpster.
One of my girlfriends is living with a guy who is a trashman. He brings home things all the time like, new shoes, coupons, jewelry, ect. He also gets Coke cartons with the codes inside and they have gotten a LOT of nice things from the Coke rewards website. But he would NEVER bring home food. She would just throw it back out. It just seems so unsanitary to me.
But like I said before....if I was starving and needed to feed my kids, I'd do just about anything to make sure they had food.

Casey

June 4th, 2008, 08:39 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
No No No No No

I could NEVER do that. Opening the dumpter to throw my own trash in makes my stomach turn.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
June 4th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I think an interesting question for debate would be, if you do this and cook with the food for dinner guests, are you morally obligated to tell them where you got the food?[/b]

would you tell the guest if you used a denten can or meat that was reduced because it was passed it date
June 4th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Quote:
I think an interesting question for debate would be, if you do this and cook with the food for dinner guests, are you morally obligated to tell them where you got the food?[/b]

would you tell the guest if you used a denten can or meat that was reduced because it was passed it date
[/b]

I dont buy dented cans or meat that is passed its expiration date.........yuck........so I would have to say no. If I wouldnt eat it, I wont serve it to my guests.

Casey

June 4th, 2008, 05:44 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]

I dont buy dented cans or meat that is passed its expiration date.........yuck........so I would have to say no. If I wouldnt eat it, I wont serve it to my guests.

Casey
[/b]
I didn't know you could buy meat past it's date...but I do buy dented cans all the time. Why would you not? how is a dent a problem? And no I wouldn't specifically tell someone the can was dented as it makes no difference if the can still has its structural integrity. Beans from a dented can taste JUST the same as beans from an undented can. I would NEVER serve food that was past it's date unless it was in freezer storage to preserve it or something. Serving food from a dumpster IS different since some people's systems ARE more susceptible to upset or even illness. If a healthy 25 yr old gets food poisoning they are probably fine, if a child, elderly or someone immune compromised gets food poisoning it can hospitalization or even death. So what if you found unopened peanut butter...what if it was recalled & THAT is why it was tossed? If you are starving then feed it to your kids, if you are cheap feed it to yourself, if you are having guests, give them the respect to decide if they are comfortable with it. I would never try to hide meat or dairy in food if I was serving food to a vegan, I would never try to hide where the food came from to anyone. YUCKA

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

June 5th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pixie_punk @ Jun 4 2008, 02:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>I think an interesting question for debate would be, if you do this and cook with the food for dinner guests, are you morally obligated to tell them where you got the food?[/b]

[/b]

Casey
[/b][/quote]
I didn't know you could buy meat past it's date...but I do buy dented cans all the time. Why would you not? how is a dent a problem? And no I wouldn't specifically tell someone the can was dented as it makes no difference if the can still has its structural integrity. Beans from a dented can taste JUST the same as beans from an undented can. I would NEVER serve food that was past it's date unless it was in freezer storage to preserve it or something. Serving food from a dumpster IS different since some people's systems ARE more susceptible to upset or even illness. If a healthy 25 yr old gets food poisoning they are probably fine, if a child, elderly or someone immune compromised gets food poisoning it can hospitalization or even death. So what if you found unopened peanut butter...what if it was recalled & THAT is why it was tossed? If you are starving then feed it to your kids, if you are cheap feed it to yourself, if you are having guests, give them the respect to decide if they are comfortable with it. I would never try to hide meat or dairy in food if I was serving food to a vegan, I would never try to hide where the food came from to anyone. YUCKA
[/b][/quote]

The reason I wont buy dented cans is because they do pose a health risk. A lot of times I am sure they are fine. However, when a can is dented near a seam or a junction, it makes it possible for air to enter the can. A sharp dent can cause a pinhole in the can, which could also allow air to enter. This air, combined with the moisture in the can, allows the growth of microorganisms. These microorganisms cannot be killed by cooking. Consumption of this food could potentially result in botulism. Cans that are bulging or have rust that will not wipe off are also deemed unsafe. Therefore, I do not buy any cans with dents. You just never know if any air has gotten in there or not. In fact, if I buy a can of something and get it home and realize that it IS dented, I either throw it out or return it for a non-dented can.

Casey

June 5th, 2008, 08:51 AM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Is that even legal? I thought scavaging was illegal....not to mention they are trespassing on a private property.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

June 5th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Mikasa's Avatar Mom of 2 girls and 1 boy!
Eww, I could never do that...I do know people who "dumpster dive" in newspaper recycling bins for coupons though.

June 5th, 2008, 10:54 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(3 toed sloth @ Jun 4 2008, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>
Quote:

[/b]

Casey
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

The reason I wont buy dented cans is because they do pose a health risk. A lot of times I am sure they are fine. However, when a can is dented near a seam or a junction, it makes it possible for air to enter the can. A sharp dent can cause a pinhole in the can, which could also allow air to enter. This air, combined with the moisture in the can, allows the growth of microorganisms. These microorganisms cannot be killed by cooking. Consumption of this food could potentially result in botulism. Cans that are bulging or have rust that will not wipe off are also deemed unsafe. Therefore, I do not buy any cans with dents. You just never know if any air has gotten in there or not. In fact, if I buy a can of something and get it home and realize that it IS dented, I either throw it out or return it for a non-dented can.

Casey
[/b][/quote]
Well I can understand if the can is compromised...but a dent along the side that is minor (not sharp) is not something I would ever worry about. I realize perhaps something could happen but i have been eating dented cans for over 30 yrs & have never had an issue. I do know for certain regardless of whether it looks okay or not a bulging can or rusted can is never acceptable for consumption.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

June 6th, 2008, 03:57 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've gone dumpster diving. Never for food... but when I was a young teen some friends & I would go on weekends to the magazine recyclying place, crawl in, and sit in there and read magazines. That wasn't gross though b/c it was just a huge bin for magazines. A couple years ago, however, Wendy's was having this promo where their cups had 'coupons' on them or whatever and when you saved 64 cups you would get a round trip ticket anywhere in the US on airtran? I forget which airline. Either way, the cups (ie: multiple round trip tickets) were selling for hundreds of dollars on eBay. So like every night for a month my friend and I would go out a little after 2 AM with tongs and rubber gloves and we would dumpster dive at 3 or 4 different Wendy's... we'd bust open the bags, and take all the cups. It wasn't that gross though b/c it was in December so none of the trash was rotting or anything sick like that.

I will say that I cannot imagine EATING something that comes out of the dumpster... like produce or meat... but the peanutbutter or almonds or something packaged... eh, I could probably go there.

I don't think I could do like the woman in the video... but in my example with the cups -- it's something that I KNEW was in there, I didn't have to get IN the trashcan, nor consume it... so since it was cold enough that the trash didn't smell and I had rubber gloves on... it was okay.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search