Log In Sign Up

mercury dental fillings


Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
June 12th, 2008, 06:40 AM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,383
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080604/hl_nm/...ntalfillings_dc

What do you think?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
June 12th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Erin's First's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,829
Just something else to try to scare the public. I have a few fillings and am not worried about it. It's always something.
__________________
<div align="center">
</div>
Reply With Quote
  #3  
June 12th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SW FL
Posts: 8,785
Well, they supposedly removed mercury from VAXs because of damage, so I am not surprised that something with MERCURY in it in your mouth, that has constant contact with your tongue, salive and everything else is hurting people. I totally believe it and refuse to do any dental work that includes mercury until I am done having kids.
__________________
Leann <3 Hector
My trio: Alyssa 7, Tristan 4.75, Gavin 1.5

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS



Rest In Peace Jennifer <3



Reply With Quote
  #4  
June 13th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North
Posts: 7,824
I think they've been trying to get away from mercury fillings for a while now and our dentist doesn't even use the mercury ones...that I know of. I've had to have a lot of dental work in the last 3 years and he replaced my fillings with the resin. I see the article states that as of 2003 the number was 30% so I'm wondering what the actual number of mercury fillings given to patients are now that its 2008.
__________________
Tammy, Mom to
Abby (19), Kacie (13), Chase (11), & Jacob (7)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
Reply With Quote
  #5  
June 13th, 2008, 06:06 AM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,383
Quote:
Just something else to try to scare the public.[/b]
DO you really think that? I would say that about a lot of things like the HPV vaccine, the whooping cough "epidemic", how Chicken Pox has suddenly become deadly and we need a vaccine to save our babies lives but don't you think dentist stand to lose not gain money by this? what is the cost ratio for mercury vs resin fillings?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
June 13th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Tofu Bacon
Guest
Posts: n/a
Uh, it mercury. We know that its neurotoxic even in small quantiities. Amalgams (which are about 50% mercury) release mercury vapor, especially during chewing. Look at the procedures required to sispose of mercury...yet somehow it is magically safe in our mouths. Frankly, I think the public needs to be scared.

http://www.epa.gov/mercury/spills/index.htm
Reply With Quote
  #7  
June 13th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Tofu Bacon
Guest
Posts: n/a
According to the World Health Organization:

http://www.who.int/ipcs/publications...en/cicad50.pdf
9.2 Neurotoxicity
The central nervous system is probably the most
sensitive target for elemental mercury vapour exposure.
Similar effects are seen after all durations of exposure;
however, the symptoms may intensify and/or become
irreversible as exposure duration and/or concentration
increase. A wide variety of cognitive, personality,
sensory, and motor disturbances have been reported.
Prominent symptoms include tremors (initially affecting
the hands and sometimes spreading to other parts of the
body), emotional lability (characterized by irritability,
excessive shyness, confidence loss, and nervousness),
insomnia, memory loss, neuromuscular changes (weakness,
muscle atrophy, muscle twitching, electromyographic
abnormalities), headaches, polyneuropathy
(paraesthesia, stocking-glove sensory loss, hyperactive
tendon reflexes, slowed sensory and motor nerve
conduction velocities), and performance deficits in tests
of cognitive function. Some long-term exposures to
elemental mercury vapour have resulted in unsteady
walking, poor concentration, tremulous speech, blurred
vision, performance decrements in psychomotor skills
(e.g., finger tapping, reduced hand–eye coordination),
decreased nerve conduction, and other signs of neurotoxicity.
Recent studies using sensitive tests for psychomotor
skills, tremor, and peripheral nerve function suggest
that adverse effects may be associated with very
low exposures. A recent study of 75 formerly exposed
workers examined using an extensive neuropsychological
test battery found that deficits in motor function,
attention, and possibly the visual system may persist for
years after termination of occupational exposure, but
previous exposure did not appear to affect the workers’
general intellectual level or ability to reason logically.
Several reports of neurotoxicity in humans involve
the ingestion of therapeutic agents containing mercurous
chloride (e.g., teething powders, ointments, and laxatives).
Several children treated with tablets or powders
containing mercurous chloride exhibited irritability,
fretfulness, sleeplessness, weakness, photophobia,
muscle twitching, hyperactive or hypoactive tendon
reflexes, and/or confusion (Warkany & Hubbard, 1953).
A 4-year-old boy who had been given a Chinese medicine
containing mercurous chloride for 3 months developed
drooling, dysphagia, irregular arm movements, and
impaired gait (Kang-Yum & Oransky, 1992). Another
case study (Davis et al., 1974) reported dementia and
irritability in two women due to the chronic ingestion of
a tablet laxative that contained 120 mg of mercurous
chloride. One woman had taken two tablets daily for
25 years, and the other woman two tablets daily for
6 years. Both patients died from inorganic mercury
poisoning.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:45 PM.