the Kids Count report

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 12th, 2008, 06:48 AM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Beavers noted that in many categories, the United States compares poorly to other developed countries. A recent study released by UNICEF ranked the U.S. second worst out of 33 industrialized nations in a composite index on child well-being, and it was 29th in regard to the percentage of babies with low birth weights.[/b]
Quote:
He agreed with Beavers that better socio-economic conditions for pregnant mothers would help. But Fleischman also said the U.S. medical profession should be more rigorous in encouraging women to continue their pregnancies as close to term as feasible, and reduce the number of early, induced deliveries, often caesarian, that frequently produce underweight infants.[/b]
Kinda makes that 2-3 due weeks (from another debate) sound better doesn't it?
June 12th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Mud235's Avatar Super Mom Extrodinaire
I have seen so many babies get induced at 36-37 weeks for no reason. Most of the time everything is ok, but occasionally things go wrong. I wish the Dr's would put their foot down and say no scheduled inductions for nothing serious before 39 weeks.
June 12th, 2008, 09:22 AM
why 39 weeks? I would say no scheduled inductions before at least 41 preferably 42 weeks without a medical reason.
June 12th, 2008, 09:23 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think women are only 1/2 the problem - all too often its the drs wanting to schedule the early inductions. I know here, all the OBs in our community offer inductions at 37 weeks, and insist on it (to the point of using bully tactics) at 40 weeks. Even 40 weeks is crazy unless theres a medical reason (babys better out than in). "Sick of being pregnant" doesnt qualify in my book. Neither does "Id like to plan".

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
June 12th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Tiffers's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, it's totally different around here. I can barely get them to shedule my c/s earlier than a few days before my due date, and that's WITH a history of my old vertical scar either opening or being so thing you could see through it.
June 12th, 2008, 12:58 PM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
I always hear people talking about scheduling inductions early but I have yet to meet a doctor that will do it without good reason!

I don't think "tired of being pregnant" is a reason to have a baby early. I also don't think planning your baby to be born around a vacation or sporting event is a good reason either.

If there isn't a medical emergency I think it's best to go the full 42 weeks before any type of induction.

Quote:
Wow, it's totally different around here. I can barely get them to shedule my c/s earlier than a few days before my due date, and that's WITH a history of my old vertical scar either opening or being so thing you could see through it.[/b]
That would freak me out.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
June 12th, 2008, 01:13 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I joked on the operating table, while my c/s was being stitched up, that perhaps they could give me a tummy tuck like Britney while they wre down there.

My OB (who is pretty anti-C/S to begin with) said: Sorry, we don't do that in Canada ... and we won't induce you at 37 weeks just because you don't want the "extra" stretch marks, either.

I said "what, does that happen??" and she said yeah, it was a bit of a contentious issue at a recent obstetrcis conference she was at.

Anyway, aside from this one aspect of the report, I'd love to see the whole report and discuss that too!

June 12th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I'll try and find it.

I just realized that I didn't even post the link to that article. :blush
June 12th, 2008, 02:38 PM
http://www.wtop.com/?nid=106&sid=1420389
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/366...idscount12.html
and here is the website for kids count but I can't find the report. It is pretty cool.

http://www.kidscount.org/datacenter/
June 12th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It is sad. I am pretty pro natural when it comes to labor, pregnancy and delivery. I used to be big into waiting. After I lost my son, I think that the 42 week mark is to long. My body doesn't do well starting at 42 weeks. Both of my kids were in danger and one died. Is a woman suppose to wait until 42 weeks to induce just to discover that 42weeks is too late. 41 weeks is now my comfort zone. I will never go that far again because I am not risking another stillborn, no way no how and I don't care who looks down on me for it. I do agree that c/s and inductions are done far to much for convience and CYA issues. I cannot STAND it.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

June 13th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Quote:
It is sad. I am pretty pro natural when it comes to labor, pregnancy and delivery. I used to be big into waiting. After I lost my son, I think that the 42 week mark is to long. My body doesn't do well starting at 42 weeks. Both of my kids were in danger and one died. Is a woman suppose to wait until 42 weeks to induce just to discover that 42weeks is too late. 41 weeks is now my comfort zone. I will never go that far again because I am not risking another stillborn, no way no how and I don't care who looks down on me for it. I do agree that c/s and inductions are done far to much for convience and CYA issues. I cannot STAND it.[/b]
I completely understand your point and I ams o sorry for your loss. I do think it is important that once you get further along into your pregnany, past 40 weeks that your pregnancy is monitored. I know I had non-stress tests with all my kids after I went past due and with my latest (15 days) I also had I think two ultrasounds on top of my NST's.

June 13th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
It is sad. I am pretty pro natural when it comes to labor, pregnancy and delivery. I used to be big into waiting. After I lost my son, I think that the 42 week mark is to long. My body doesn't do well starting at 42 weeks. Both of my kids were in danger and one died. Is a woman suppose to wait until 42 weeks to induce just to discover that 42weeks is too late. 41 weeks is now my comfort zone. I will never go that far again because I am not risking another stillborn, no way no how and I don't care who looks down on me for it. I do agree that c/s and inductions are done far to much for convience and CYA issues. I cannot STAND it.[/b]
I completely understand your point and I ams o sorry for your loss. I do think it is important that once you get further along into your pregnany, past 40 weeks that your pregnancy is monitored. I know I had non-stress tests with all my kids after I went past due and with my latest (15 days) I also had I think two ultrasounds on top of my NST's.
[/b][/quote]

I wish dr's did more first trimester sonograms to date the pregnancy too. I think a lot of unneccessary inductions are because the woman's dates are off. Going by her last AF only just seems so silly to me.
June 13th, 2008, 10:08 AM
I thought that AF dates were more reliable than ultrasound dates?
June 13th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Quote:
I thought that AF dates were more reliable than ultrasound dates?[/b]
The problem with going with AF dates, is they assume a woman ovulates exactly 14 days before AF. This has been a fight with my OB because I KNOW when I ovulated, and it was 7 days AFTER I had AF, so I know my due date is wrong. If you do the sonogram around 8-10 weeks, it's a pretty accurate measure of the baby's gestation, give or a take a couple of days. With a normal pregnancy, it's not as much of a problem. But if you have a high risk pregnancy, or other complications, I think knowing a more accurate due date is really helpful so they're not doing anything too early, but not waiting too long. I've just seen way too many women who have stillbirths because they were over 42 weeks.
June 13th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:

[/b][/quote]

I had my NSTs and u/s. My placenta abrupted all at once. I didn't bleed. My dr was amazed I live. I totally agree that monitoring is important, but sometimes it just doesn't matter. Now *I* have to live with the fact that if I would have induced or had my c/s, my son might be alive today. In a way *I* killed him and no mom should have to live with that. But I am in the middle here, I do think women should at least be 40 weeks to even consider induction, perferably 41 wks. It is a fine line. I just don't want another woman to be stubborn like I was and waited to go into labor and their baby die. It is the worst pain ever and the guilt is a nice punishment to go along with it. I do realize that stillbirth can happen at any moment in pregnancy, but when you can prevent one from happening, it is well worth the induction or c/s.

June 13th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Quote:
I had my NSTs and u/s. My placenta abrupted all at once. I didn't bleed. My dr was amazed I live. I totally agree that monitoring is important, but sometimes it just doesn't matter. Now *I* have to live with the fact that if I would have induced or had my c/s, my son might be alive today. In a way *I* killed him and no mom should have to live with that. But I am in the middle here, I do think women should at least be 40 weeks to even consider induction, perferably 41 wks. It is a fine line. I just don't want another woman to be stubborn like I was and waited to go into labor and their baby die. It is the worst pain ever and the guilt is a nice punishment to go along with it. I do realize that stillbirth can happen at any moment in pregnancy, but when you can prevent one from happening, it is well worth the induction or c/s.[/b]
I don't think it matters how your child died though, you always find a way to blame yourself. It took me a long time to come to terms with the course of medical care we chose for my daughter, and knowing another way might have helped her survive. Then on the flip side wondering if we should've done anything at all since she died during surgery and had to suffer through surgery. It's a catch 22, and it all just SUCKS!
June 13th, 2008, 09:02 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
FTR - only u/s's done early in the pg (first trimester) are accurate for determining dates, and while it still has an error margin, its a matter of DAYS, not weeks (as it is with second and third trimester u/s's). And I do agree, few women ovulate so perfectly for the "wheel" to be as accurate when determining dates by last AF. I personally ovulate 30 some odd days into my cycle (or at least I did when I was TTC my last) and based on my last AF, I would have been "due" two weeks or more BEFORE I really was. Add that to the fact that I actually went 8 days late (which was obviously how long she "needed") - and couple those with the OB's in this area doing routine non medical inductions at 37 weeks (few women ever reach their due date around here, and NOBODY goes over), and I coudl have had a baby born with a 34 week or less gestational age!

THank god I had some sense about me and we went an alternative route & sought midwifery care We had a homebirth, & avoided the fight all together. Even at "40 weeks" - id have "really" been 37 ish.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
June 14th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Tofu Bacon
Quote:
I completely understand your point and I ams o sorry for your loss. I do think it is important that once you get further along into your pregnany, past 40 weeks that your pregnancy is monitored. I know I had non-stress tests with all my kids after I went past due and with my latest (15 days) I also had I think two ultrasounds on top of my NST's.[/b]
I agree. I went to 42.5 weeks with ds and had to go in for an NST and sono every couple of days.
June 15th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Cori, you like to keep me on my toes. I never know who you are anymore!

ETA referring to name change

June 15th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Tofu Bacon
^^ I get bored easily!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search