Fox News refers to Michelle Obama as "Obama's Baby Mama"

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 12th, 2008, 11:40 AM
MissTorrieIfYou'reNasty's Avatar Co-Host of Heated Debates
Is this further proof of institutionalized racism polluting this debate? Or Fox News's lame attempt at humor? My thinking is that it's disgustingly racist and insulting, especially to a woman who is as classy and intelligent as Michelle Obama. Fox News really shot Michelle Malkin in the foot on this one.

http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/200...bama/print.html

"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."
June 12th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Totally uncalled for. I don't have a problem with the media calling either candidate's wife for what she says at political rallies for her husband, since IMO that counts as actively campaigning. But I dread the prospect of either wife being dragged in about stuff behind the scenes. Just not right at all.

But, I'm embarrassed to ask... how is "baby mama" racist? I've heard that used with women of all races. Did it start out as a racist slur? I'm seriously asking - I have absolutely no idea if this is the case. TIA...
June 12th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Tiffers's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not shocking coming from Fox News, IMO. I think it's a racist comment wrapped in a lame attempt at humor.

June 12th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
But, I'm embarrassed to ask... how is "baby mama" racist? I've heard that used with women of all races. Did it start out as a racist slur? I'm seriously asking - I have absolutely no idea if this is the case. TIA...[/b]
It's a term that originated in, and is still almost exclusively used in the ghetto. It was coined to distinguish unmarried parents from married parents. So yeah, in context it's a racial slur. I'd be surprised if someone doesn't get fired over this, even at a two-bit tabloid channel like Fox News.
[/b]
Ahhhh - yeah, I definitely see the outrage then. Thanks!
June 12th, 2008, 12:55 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Really nobody fpound it a little funny? I mean I plan on voting for the guy and laughed when I saw the topic. Probally belongs on The Daily show more than Fox news though.
June 12th, 2008, 01:03 PM
LaLaRose3's Avatar My brand of heroin.
I find it difficult to even talk about FNC without getting outraged. This is just another racial slam against Obama. I am not even surprised anymore.

(NO FACEBOOK, PLEASE!)

June 12th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Tiffers's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Really nobody fpound it a little funny? I mean I plan on voting for the guy and laughed when I saw the topic. Probally belongs on The Daily show more than Fox news though.[/b]
I'd *maybe* find it funny if they were doing it to both candidates.
June 12th, 2008, 01:52 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Not shocking coming from Fox News, IMO. I think it's a racist comment wrapped in a lame attempt at humor.[/b]
Ditto.

Quote:
I find it difficult to even talk about FNC without getting outraged. This is just another racial slam against Obama. I am not even surprised anymore.[/b]
Ditto again

More evidence that our decision to avoid Fox News is a good one. Frankly CNN is only a smidgen better.

Watch BBC News if you want some unbiased actual news reporting. So much of what's on Fox and CNN is really editorializing and banter. I'm shocked at what they can get away with and people don't seem to mind.

June 12th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I agree with you! My stepfather is an avid Fox News watcher, and every time I go over there it's on. People *should* be tired of getting fed biased bullcrap.

(NO FACEBOOK, PLEASE!)

June 12th, 2008, 04:50 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it is out of line personally & totally disrespectful.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

June 12th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I agree with you! My stepfather is an avid Fox News watcher, and every time I go over there it's on. People *should* be tired of getting fed biased bullcrap.[/b]
Yeah, they should be satisfied with unbiased networks like CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
June 12th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Quote:
I agree with you! My stepfather is an avid Fox News watcher, and every time I go over there it's on. People *should* be tired of getting fed biased bullcrap.[/b]
Yeah, they should be satisfied with unbiased networks like CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC
[/b]
Sorry, maybe I should have been more clear... it isn't ONLY FNC that is biased.

(NO FACEBOOK, PLEASE!)

June 12th, 2008, 06:55 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Watch BBC! Or CBC!

June 12th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I hate to say it. My dad loves FNC. My dad is also racist and loves every second of the baby mama drama. I would venture to say that most of the people that live near me love that. They do not want a black man as president. Or a women, but she is already out. I live in cracker country (what the people call themselves and our area). We have a long way to go before rasism is frowned upon instead of encouraged. It is sad, it really is.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

June 12th, 2008, 09:56 PM
irishxrose
Ugh, I'm not surprised. Fox News is a horrible excuse for a news channel. CNN and the rest aren't much better, but at least I don't have to throw anything at the tv when I'm watching the other ones. FNC makes me want to throw my tv out the window. It's not allowed to be on at my house EVER.

I <3 BBC.
June 12th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Ugh, I'm not surprised. Fox News is a horrible excuse for a news channel. CNN and the rest aren't much better, but at least I don't have to throw anything at the tv when I'm watching the other ones. FNC makes me want to throw my tv out the window. It's not allowed to be on at my house EVER.[/b]
That is pretty much the viewpoint I have as well. Yes, all news stations tend to be biased. However, the propaganda-fueled "news" that FNC spews out is definitely NOT the lesser of the evils KWIM? The things that they get away with saying on Fox just... ASTOUNDS me. I wish I could find the youtube video of O'Reilly basically calling "black voters" ignorant just for voting for Obama. Just one of the many things they say that are very CLEARLY racist/sexist/completely untrue.

Sorry, but any News station that has Ann Coulter on repeatedly and tends to agree with her just doesn't sit right with me, period.

(NO FACEBOOK, PLEASE!)

June 12th, 2008, 11:20 PM
whatever
Watch how stupid this is though. Michelle is talking about "Cheap shots"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvZEZL2LmA8

How anyone can take FOX seriously is beyond me.
June 12th, 2008, 11:30 PM
The interesting part, to me, about that video you posted, Whatever... is that when Michelle says that the "left leaning blog Salon" posted some negative comments about Michelle Obama's wife's comments... That is so not true. There is nothing on Salon that is negative about those comments. Makes you think... if something that small is totally untrue, what ELSE coming from them is untrue? IDK, just makes me think...

EDITED: for spelling.

(NO FACEBOOK, PLEASE!)

June 12th, 2008, 11:47 PM
pixie_punk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
Ugh, I'm not surprised. Fox News is a horrible excuse for a news channel. CNN and the rest aren't much better, but at least I don't have to throw anything at the tv when I'm watching the other ones. FNC makes me want to throw my tv out the window. It's not allowed to be on at my house EVER.[/b]
That is pretty much the viewpoint I have as well. Yes, all news stations tend to be biased. However, the propaganda-fueled "news" that FNC spews out is definitely NOT the lesser of the evils KWIM? The things that they get away with saying on Fox just... ASTOUNDS me. I wish I could find the youtube video of O'Reilly basically calling "black voters" ignorant just for voting for Obama. Just one of the many things they say that are very CLEARLY racist/sexist/completely untrue.

Sorry, but any News station that has Ann Coulter on repeatedly and tends to agree with her just doesn't sit right with me, period.
[/b]
I agree. And how O'Reilly specifically gets away with about 80% of what he says amazes me. There are SO many clips of him on Youtube that are just absolute gold for "***" moments. The other day I saw a clip of him saying that Shawn Hornbeck didn't escape from the man who held him captive and molested him for four years because he LIKED BEING THERE.

As for this topic, part of me wants to give them the benefit of the doubt that this is just a joke in very poor taste, but I really don't believe this was an accident; I think they knew what they were saying when they put that on the screen.

There are two girls with whom I've known longer than anyone, and my debt to them is lifetime. The gathering of boys I rely on know exactly who they are and I would build their protection with bloody hands. - 36 Crazyfists
</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search