working moms less likely to breastfeed

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boar[email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 12th, 2008, 02:42 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wonder if this has anything to do with the US having horrible breastfeeding rates. Most families here can't survive on one income and most well almost all have horrible maternity benefits.
http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus...0804291550.htm
June 12th, 2008, 04:45 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It really doesn't shock me I guess. I know for me it was a HUGE struggle to maintain pumping supply & honestly it was a pain, awkward at times, etc, etc. If I wasn't so stinking stubborn I KNOW I would have quit sooner or at least switched to day-time formula with night-time BF. I used to placate myself on bad days by telling myself that if it stays this hard for one more month we will find another way...but then each month I just tried for "one more month"

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

June 13th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Tiffers's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not surprised either. I worked in Employee Health prior to moving to a new position, and the only place to pump was in our "sick bed" area I had to fight to get a separate room for moms to pump, and try to explain to them why it wasn't okay for moms to just use the restroom And I work for a FORTUNE 500 company!!!!! You'd think it would be easier.
June 13th, 2008, 08:25 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I think it can be very difficult for working moms to BF. I wasn't working but still needed to pump when my son went back into the hospital and then later because I always had a terrible supply. I'd pump after a feeding to try to up my supply. Well I never got much when I pumped. I'd be lucky to get a 1/2 oz per side. I know other women who just don't produce much with pumping so even if they have a job that is conducive to pumping it doesn't mean they'll produce enough to fully provide BM only.

June 13th, 2008, 10:17 AM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it's a terrible injustice in the states that women have such poor maternity leave benefits ... I'm honestly surprised that people have the energy to even continue BFing and/or pumping when they have to return to work at 6 weeks or 12 weeks post-partum. Seriously, moms here in Canada are horrified by the idea of what US moms have to deal with. I'm not surprised in the least if the US has significantly lower breastfeeding rates.

June 13th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I think it's a terrible injustice in the states that women have such poor maternity leave benefits ... I'm honestly surprised that people have the energy to even continue BFing and/or pumping when they have to return to work at 6 weeks or 12 weeks post-partum. Seriously, moms here in Canada are horrified by the idea of what US moms have to deal with. I'm not surprised in the least if the US has significantly lower breastfeeding rates.[/b]

ITA. I was shocked when I joined a DDC and found out Americans only get 6 WEEKS, 8 weeks with a csection. Isnt it up to 12 unpaid?? Something like that......Not just the breastfeeding, but many babies dont sleep through the night at that age, and even still, its SO HARD to catch up I dont know how you moms do it. I really admire any mom that can go work so soon AND pump for her baby to continue bfing. Im exhausted and have a messy house, I cant imagine working 20 -40hrs on top of this, wow, you ladies are amazing.

June 13th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Quote:
I think it's a terrible injustice in the states that women have such poor maternity leave benefits ... I'm honestly surprised that people have the energy to even continue BFing and/or pumping when they have to return to work at 6 weeks or 12 weeks post-partum. Seriously, moms here in Canada are horrified by the idea of what US moms have to deal with. I'm not surprised in the least if the US has significantly lower breastfeeding rates.[/b]

ITA. I was shocked when I joined a DDC and found out Americans only get 6 WEEKS, 8 weeks with a csection. Isnt it up to 12 unpaid?? Something like that......Not just the breastfeeding, but many babies dont sleep through the night at that age, and even still, its SO HARD to catch up I dont know how you moms do it. I really admire any mom that can go work so soon AND pump for her baby to continue bfing. Im exhausted and have a messy house, I cant imagine working 20 -40hrs on top of this, wow, you ladies are amazing.
[/b]
12 weeks is if you take federal family leave act.....none of it is paid unless you have an employer that covers it (MANY don't - mine didn't) and unless you have purchased some type of disability insurance like Aflac (again which my job also doesn't offer). So most of the moms I know have been paid nothing for the 6 or 8 weeks they were able to take.

And thank you for the supportive words. If it is any consolation, most of the time my house looks like a tornado went through it too. I never feel like I get more accomplished on weekends than I do on the days I work....so even with working & BF & pumping I am still definitely no "super-mom".

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

June 15th, 2008, 12:38 PM
~Jackie
The US is horrible when it comes to maternity leave. It really sucks.
June 15th, 2008, 12:42 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's really ironic that one of the places in the world that has really glorified the "super mom" through media and in the culture is one of the places with the least actual, genuine support for moms!

It's like the culture says "you should be just like Donna Reed, Carol Brady and every other super mom you've ever seen ... but oh, by the way, we're going to make it almost impossible for you to do that ... AND just to top it off, we'll put out dozens of parenting books each year so you have new ways to discover all the time what a terrible parent you actually are."

If it wasn't creating such a dreadful environment for so many moms, it would almost be funny

June 16th, 2008, 01:16 PM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
I think that having to go back to work is a big reason that many moms do not BF at all and do not BF long term. I think that another BIG reason is that BF'ing isn't promoted in the states...sometimes I am even made to feel as if it is unnatural and "gross".

BF'ing/Pumping while working full time is a PITA, however, I have never let it get me down. BF'ing is what I want to do for my child and pumping comes with it. For me it's all about willpower and I will do whatever I have to do to keep BF'ing/pumping for my daughter as long as she is interested in BF'ing.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
June 27th, 2008, 11:33 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
It's like the culture says "you should be just like Donna Reed, Carol Brady and every other super mom you've ever seen ... but oh, by the way, we're going to make it almost impossible for you to do that ... AND just to top it off, we'll put out dozens of parenting books each year so you have new ways to discover all the time what a terrible parent you actually are."[/b]
That's so true.

I am self-employed and also work part-time with no medical benefits whatsoever, so even 6 weeks paid maternity would have been a luxury for me. Ultimately working about 20-30 hours a week made me have to supplement with formula for the rest of our BF'ing time. When I first went back after 10 weeks it was only 2 days a week, equaling maybe 10-15 hours a week. I had to pick up the part time job when she was about 5.5 months and I continued to pump but could never get enough out. I have a friend who had no problem with her supply and she worked 30-40 hours after 3 months leave, so it can depend, but in many cases I definitely agree that having to go back to work can sabotage BF'ing efforts.

And that's even if you do try to BF. Even though there are ways to make BF'ing work while working full time, or at least BF'ing and supplementing with formula as needed, I can totally understand some moms looking at it and deciding it's more trouble than it's worth.

Quote:
It's like the culture says "you should be just like Donna Reed, Carol Brady and every other super mom you've ever seen ... but oh, by the way, we're going to make it almost impossible for you to do that ... AND just to top it off, we'll put out dozens of parenting books each year so you have new ways to discover all the time what a terrible parent you actually are."[/b]
That's so true.

I am self-employed and also work part-time with no medical benefits whatsoever, so even 6 weeks paid maternity would have been a luxury for me. Ultimately working about 20-30 hours a week made me have to supplement with formula for the rest of our BF'ing time. When I first went back after 10 weeks it was only 2 days a week, equaling maybe 10-15 hours a week. I had to pick up the part time job when she was about 5.5 months and I continued to pump but could never get enough out. I have a friend who had no problem with her supply and she worked 30-40 hours after 3 months leave, so it can depend, but in many cases I definitely agree that having to go back to work can sabotage BF'ing efforts.

And that's even if you do try to BF. Even though there are ways to make BF'ing work while working full time, or at least BF'ing and supplementing with formula as needed, I can totally understand some moms looking at it and deciding it's more trouble than it's worth.

July 5th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Little Mrs Sunshine
I am not surprised at all. I also think maternity leave should be longer.
July 23rd, 2008, 02:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I pumped in the bathroom...

July 23rd, 2008, 03:11 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
I've never had an employer who would allow a mother to pump at work outside of the bathroom, and she'd have to find a way to store the milk as there would be no place to keep it cool at all.

I think the US's idea of maternity time is rediculous. I think it should be a guaranteed time off if the woman wants it.

Here if you take government maternity leave, it's 50 weeks at 55% of your average income. It's not that great, but it's still income.

July 23rd, 2008, 03:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had some other people offer their offices to me...

July 31st, 2008, 06:24 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I pumped either in the breakroom or training room with a blanket over me. I tried to do it at off times when no one else was in there, but occasionally some poor man happened to be in the same room. Most people got this look on their faces while trying to figure out what the noise of the pump was. Once they knew it was no big deal. Luckily we had a fridge, freezer, and sink in the breakroom so storage wasn't an issue.

July 31st, 2008, 02:46 PM
I have never needed to pump in a bathroom at work & at least in my state your employer MUST offer you some place to pump that is NOT a bathroom during your normal break times. What is unfortunate is that so many women & employers aren't even aware of the laws protecting BF moms. Storage isn't any major issue. I could have used the fridge, but preferred to use the cooler & ice packs that came with my pump. I have never had my cooler be a problem - even in the summer when I would be on the road with sometimes 12+ hr days here & there. I still say it can be a lot to juggle - but it is doable.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search