Speaking of mercury

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 13th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For the Maine study, researchers shattered 65 compact fluorescents to test air quality and cleanup methods. They found that, in many cases, immediately after the bulb was broken - and sometimes even after a cleanup was attempted - levels of mercury vapor exceeded federal guidelines for chronic exposure by as much as 100 times.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/...ew_bulbs_break/

Do you have them? Will you continue to buy them?

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
June 13th, 2008, 11:40 AM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This was brought to my attention a few months back and I have to admit I have been hesitant to buy them ever since. The other issue is that while they may be good environmentally *here* becuase they lower our power usage, they aren't so good environmentally where they are produced, ie. India and China, because of pollutants created during manufacturing and low regulation overseeing manufacturing in such countries. So, we get lower power bills ... other places get polluted water, air and soil. The environmental benefit globally seems a bit off to me ...

DH and I try to stick to the old-fashioned power saving rule: turn them off! If you aren't using them, it doesn't really matter which kind you are using.

June 15th, 2008, 11:51 PM
pixie_punk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
They're phasing out the old lightbulbs in Ontario and making them illegal, so we're all being forced to switch to these energy saver ones. How reassuring...

I've also heard they're not so efficient in colder climates, because the old bulbs give off so much heat they actually help heat your home... thereby allowing you to keep your thermostat lower and save energy there.

There are two girls with whom I've known longer than anyone, and my debt to them is lifetime. The gathering of boys I rely on know exactly who they are and I would build their protection with bloody hands. - 36 Crazyfists
</div>
June 16th, 2008, 08:13 AM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
I heard about this on the news one night, and I'm torn over whether to use them or not. I don't like them personally, no matter the wattage the light is different from that of a "regular" bulb, and I find I just can't see with them.

The Mercury in the bothers me, and after reading that link, it all bothers me moreso.

BUT... they've cut down the power bill here by 50% in the last year (which is great, because these people leave all the lights on anyways).

June 16th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will probably still use them. Anything I can do to save a penny. My electric bill usually runs 200-275.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

June 16th, 2008, 11:36 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
I don't use them and really do not want to start.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
June 16th, 2008, 09:10 PM
~Carissa~'s Avatar SAHMommy to Wyatt!
I use them and we will continue to use them if it saves us money.
We will just be extra careful if one breaks.

June 17th, 2008, 10:57 AM
chlodoll
Every bulb in my house is an energy saver. They do not shatter as easily as standard light bulbs. I have never had one broken yet. That is good to know though to make sure to handle them with more care.
June 19th, 2008, 09:06 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Every bulb in my house is an energy saver. They do not shatter as easily as standard light bulbs. I have never had one broken yet. That is good to know though to make sure to handle them with more care.[/b]
Me too - and we have also never had one break.

I do agree I preferred my regular bulb's light - it just seemed softer & brighter...but Oh well.....I think eventually they will figure out how to improve these too. I do hate that they aren't environmentally friendly in mfg....it makes me wonder if there is a good solution other than beeswax candles...

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search