Minors using indoor tanning

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 15th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Would you let your teenager tan indoors (use tanning beds)?
If so, what age and why?
If not, please explain.

June 15th, 2008, 10:09 PM
chlodoll
I would prefer them not too just like I would not want them to smoke or do other things dangerous to their health. I do think there should be an age requirement on tanning beds. I know some of my girlfriends have been going since they were 13! I was never in to tanning thankfully but some of my friends are still obsessed! Its like an addiction almost!
June 16th, 2008, 04:32 AM
jdee0509's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, I wouldn't pay for her to go indoor tanning. If shes like 16, 17 and has her own money and wants to go, then I wouldnt stop her...Id probably just tell her thats a silly way to spend her money, and tell her she should just sit outside and get a tan.

June 16th, 2008, 10:24 AM
aprilmomto3's Avatar Veteran
I would encourage my child not to go, but at the age of 17 if they want to, and have the money to go then I wouldn't stop them. I went before my first prom and I was allowed to.

Thanks to aprilmiracle for my beautiful siggy!
June 16th, 2008, 11:45 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
I wouldn't spend my money for her to do it but I certainly wouldn't tell her she couldn't go

I actually think a nice day of manis, pedis and tanning sounds like a nice way to spend time with your daughter.

ETA: Forgot to say and age...15+.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
June 16th, 2008, 11:52 AM
irishxrose
Absolutely not. Tanning will NOT be allowed while she lives in my house PERIOD. Skin cancer in a box? Hell no!
June 16th, 2008, 01:20 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Absolutely not. Tanning will NOT be allowed while she lives in my house PERIOD. Skin cancer in a box? Hell no![/b]
DITTO!!!!

Thousands of people have been convinced that tanning in a tanning bed with the "right" lotions is somehow safer than tanning outside. Or that tanning in general is "healthy". It's not - that dark colour on your skin is actually cellular damage.

I don't now, and won't in the future, encourage tanning of any kind. We're all about massive layers of SPF here

June 16th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Erin's First's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Absolutely not. Tanning will NOT be allowed while she lives in my house PERIOD. Skin cancer in a box? Hell no![/b]
June 16th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I own one and I will allow my dd or ds to use it. I have a skin condition that tanning really helps and chanced are high that my kids will all have it. I would want my kids to be 13 before they used it. That is when I started getting in my mom's tanning bed.
DS-Sully(4)
DS-Gus(2)

June 16th, 2008, 02:03 PM
PinkSand's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
I own one and I will allow my dd or ds to use it. I have a skin condition that tanning really helps and chanced are high that my kids will all have it. I would want my kids to be 13 before they used it. That is when I started getting in my mom's tanning bed.[/b]

Same here, I too have a bed here at home and have them in my gym, my daughter (15) has probably used them no more than 5 times since she turned 14. So my answer is yes, I would and do allow my daughter to use them.
"There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period."
Ted Nugent

I'm not a role model, ... Just because I dunk a basketball doesn't mean I should raise your kids.
Charles Barkley

"Sex education may be a good idea in the schools, but I don't believe the kids should be given homework."
Bill Cosby
<div align="center"></div>

<div align="center">
</div>
June 16th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
NO. I don't imagine why anybody would let their kid.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

June 16th, 2008, 07:52 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
The only tanning that will be allowed here is the type that comes in a bottle! We have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I will not allow my children to become statistics. I put sun screen on DD in the middle of winter when we go out.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

June 16th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Momo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
DITTO!!!!

Thousands of people have been convinced that tanning in a tanning bed with the "right" lotions is somehow safer than tanning outside. Or that tanning in general is "healthy". It's not - that dark colour on your skin is actually cellular damage.

I don't now, and won't in the future, encourage tanning of any kind. We're all about massive layers of SPF here
[/b]
Thousands of people have also been convinced that lathering on the SPF 80 is "healthy" too but your body needs the sun, it needs that vitamin D, and blocking it out can have some major ramifications on your bone, mental, and overall health.

As to tanning beds, I remember going a few times when I was younger before big events or just for fun. I never was a regular because I didn't want to turn orange but it was relaxing and fun to primp a little. I won't care if my kids want to do it a few times to get a little tan but I won't encourage them to go all the time. I don't think it's a good idea to use them religiously.

Clara's here! 5/13/11

I love my two handsome boys!!!
Jetty - 8/06
Jude - 9/08

June 16th, 2008, 10:48 PM
.*.H&HMomma.*.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I started going when I turned 17 and I had my own job. My parent's didn't care if I went but they weren't going to pay for it. So same will go with my kids.

Make a pregnancy ticker
June 17th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
More than likely not. If she wants a tan, she can do it the old fashioned way by going outside. I don't go to the tanning salon.

June 17th, 2008, 02:39 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
DITTO!!!!

[/b]
Thousands of people have also been convinced that lathering on the SPF 80 is "healthy" too but your body needs the sun, it needs that vitamin D, and blocking it out can have some major ramifications on your bone, mental, and overall health.

As to tanning beds, I remember going a few times when I was younger before big events or just for fun. I never was a regular because I didn't want to turn orange but it was relaxing and fun to primp a little. I won't care if my kids want to do it a few times to get a little tan but I won't encourage them to go all the time. I don't think it's a good idea to use them religiously.
[/b]
The amount of sun you get going from your car, into the store, driving, taking your garbage out, etc. gives you more than enough sunlight for Vitamin D. You'd have to basically live in the dark to have a vitamin d deficiency. We don't slather on 80 spf (does that even exist?) for every single outing to the store ... we put on spf 30 when we're going to be out and about in the sun during the day for extended periods.

I'm not arguing that anyone should live in the dark, and yes, Vitamin D deficiency can have significant negative health effects, but most people have overestimated how much is necessary for good health:

Quote:
Here is the answer, according to The Center for Science For the Public Interest:

Exposing non-sunscreened hands, face and arms to the sun for about ten to fifteen minutes (depending on skin sensitivity to sunburning, latitude and time of day) two to three times a week between 8 am and 4 pm gives the body it's Vitamin D requirement.[/b]
In other words, you'd have to be bed-bound with no windows, or wearing a burqa 24 hours a day and never eating dietary sources of vitamin d to have a deficiency.
And I'm not being a smart-#####: categories of people with vitamin d problems include seniors who are bed-bound and women who wear full body cover all day long.

But generally, deficiencies in Vitamin D are not really a major health crisis.

Skin cancer, on the other hand, is.

From the Skin Cancer Foundation:
Quote:
Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the U.S., with over one million new cases diagnosed every year.[/b]
As for tanning beds (and using sunscreen), you can ignore my opinion all you want, but I'm guessing most people would think the Mayo Clinic might have some valid points to make. Here's what they say on prevention of skin cancer:

Quote:
Most skin cancers are preventable. To protect yourself, follow these skin cancer prevention tips:

Avoid the sun between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Because the sun's rays are strongest during this period, try to schedule outdoor activities for other times of the day, even in winter or when the sky is cloudy. You absorb UV radiation year-round, and clouds offer little protection from damaging rays. Remember, sunburns and suntans cause skin damage that can increase your risk of developing skin cancer. Sun exposure accumulated over time also may cause skin cancer.

Wear sunscreen year-round. Sunscreens don't filter out all harmful UV radiation, especially the radiation that can lead to melanoma. But they play a major role in an overall sun protection program. Sunscreens that contain ingredients such as titanium dioxide and mexoryl do a better job at blocking UVA rays. Choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen that has a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 15. Use a generous amount of sunscreen on all exposed skin, including your lips, the tips of your ears, and the backs of your hands and neck.

For the most protection, apply sunscreen 20 to 30 minutes before sun exposure and reapply it every two hours throughout the day, as well as after swimming or exercising. Apply sunscreen to young children before they go outdoors, and teach older children and teens how to use sunscreen to protect themselves. Keep sunscreen in your car as well as with your gardening tools, and sports and camping gear.

Wear protective clothing. Sunscreens don't provide complete protection from UV rays. That's why it's a good idea to also wear dark, tightly woven clothing that covers your arms and legs, and a broad-brimmed hat, which provides more protection than a baseball cap or visor does.

Some companies also sell photoprotective clothing. A dermatologist can recommend an appropriate brand. Don't forget sunglasses. Look for those that block both UVA and UVB rays.

Avoid tanning beds and tan-accelerating agents. Tanning beds emit UVA rays, which may be as dangerous as UVB rays especially since UVA light penetrates deeper into your skin and causes precancerous skin lesions. [/b]
I would strongly recommend people get a "UV photo" taken of their faces. I had to do this a few years ago for a story I was doing for my paper ... I have never been the type to lay out in the sun and almost always wear spf, but the damage that showed up on my face in the UV photo was mind-boggling.

This is what a UV photo looks like:
http://www.londondrugs.com/NR/rdonlyres/74..._smallblock.jpg

June 17th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
Most states have legal restrictions on the use of indoor tanning facilities for minors under 18. others require parental consent. No worries, though, it will soon be a moot point. Several groups, including the American Dermatological Association, are already pushing for legislation that will completely ban indoor tanning equipment and facilities for non-medical reasons.

June 17th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't pay for it...and I would try to encourage her not to go to a tanning bed, and if in the future she decided to go then I would want to let her know the risks and tell her to use it in moderation.
I wouldnt allow it until she was atleast 17-18. I think I was about 19 the first time I got in one...

June 18th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
If they are still around by the time DD is a teenager- she will not be able to use them until she is 18. I am aware of the laws regarding minors using tanning beds- but all you need is a "parental" signature and boom you're in. She will NOT be getting that signature from me.

June 18th, 2008, 04:39 PM
stardusthealer's Avatar Super Mommy
No my daughter will not be permitted to use a tanning bed if she chooses to tan she can put on really strong tanning lotion and spend sometime in the fresh air. She has really pale skin as do i she doesn't need to fake and bake.

1. Mom to Arielle13,Tyler 10.5, Dylan 8.5 and Autumn Rayne 21mths and Step dd Nevaeh 3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search